Pro's and Con's of owning a Nikon vs Canon

12 years 9 months ago #112051 by Rob pix4u2
Oh one thing is Canon pro services are friendlier than Nikon but I doubt that would be a consideration for a beginner. It's just as expensive to repair the Canon gear as it is Nikon.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 9 months ago #112055 by Baydream

Rob pix4u2 wrote: :watching: Come to a Cincinnati Cyclones game this winter for a side by side comparison between Tony and I.

Tony's arms are probably bigger from lugging that extra weight :whistle:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #112060 by Pettigrew
3 pages of pro's and con's? You guys are great. I'm sure my friend will be very appreciative of your comments and help.

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #112063 by Baydream

Pettigrew wrote: 3 pages of pro's and con's? You guys are great. I'm sure my friend will be very appreciative of your comments and help.

It's always like this when this subject comes up. :catfight: Just like the old Ford vs Chevy "battles" years ago until those rice burners showed up. :lol:

Seriously, you can't go wrong either way. I chose Canon because it offered more options on entry level models. But that was just my opinion. My friends and I love our Canons and my other friends love their Nikons.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #112064 by Rob pix4u2
PONTIAC RULES THE STREETS !!!!

Rob Huelsman Sr.

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #112065 by Baydream

Rob pix4u2 wrote: PONTIAC RULES THE STREETS !!!!

Sorry, off subject :S

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #112069 by icepics
Nah, threads on this board NEVER go off topic! :rofl:

Tony! Haven't seen him since the Ducks games. Good photographer and all-around good guy. Was always nice to me, him being the pro and me being - well, the newbie to say the least.

I have 3 Canon cameras, and no Nikons - yet, but never say never. I also have Ricoh and Pentax and that's just SLRs. Maybe it depends somewhat on what you buy first, then you get a lens, then another camera body & another lens...

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #112072 by Scotty
Go blad digital or go home.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #112076 by Baydream

Scotty wrote: Go blad digital or go home.

And leave you all alone? Never :blink:

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #112079 by Shadowfixer1

Yes sir. I had a '67 GTO when I was in high school. 400 bored 40 over, 10.5:1 pistons, triple valve springs, Zoom pressure plate and clutch. That baby would light 'em up for as long as you wanted to keep your foot in it.
12 years 9 months ago #112088 by Scotty

Baydream wrote:

Scotty wrote: Go blad digital or go home.

And leave you all alone? Never :blink:

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #112102 by Rob pix4u2

Shadowfixer1 wrote:

Yes sir. I had a '67 GTO when I was in high school. 400 bored 40 over, 10.5:1 pistons, triple valve springs, Zoom pressure plate and clutch. That baby would light 'em up for as long as you wanted to keep your foot in it.

Yes I had a '70 GTO with the 400 , Holley 4 barrel, headers & dual exhaust- Yes those were the days !!!

Rob Huelsman Sr.

12 years 9 months ago #112106 by Stealthy Ninja
Firstly, I've owned a lot of Canon stuff and a bunch of Nikon stuff. Both are good and it really depend on your shooting style etc. That said... here comes the long post... :thumbsup:

Shadowfixer1 wrote: I use Nikon but it doesn't matter. A person needs to handle the cameras in a makers line and play with how it works to see which they prefer. Both will produce excellent images. Most feel that Nikon has a better focussing system and a better flash system. Canon lenses tend to be a little cheaper for the good glass. I would use Canon if it felt better than the Nikon. The Nikons I have owned just have a better and more solid feel to me. It's all personal preference.

This pretty much sums it up. Generally speaking the AF on Canon stuff sucks. This is a big deal because it doesn't matter how awesome a photo is, if the focus is off then it looks crap (IMHO). I owned a Canon 1DIV before using the D3s. The 1DIV does have very good AF. The D3s is slightly better. The 7D is supposed to have good AF, but to put it bluntly, most people who own one don't know how to dial it in right (so they say it sucks). The 5DIII (3) better improve the AF or I KNOW people will switch to Nikon (my Canon using buddy said so ;) ).

Generally I'll say Canon are better for portraits (more MP mainly) and landscapes (their colours seem to work better that way). Though for me personally (as I say below) I prefer Nikon for portraits as I like the skin tones Nikon tends to get. Though Nikon tend to mess up purple.

Personally I like Nikon colour better. I never really got Canon tweaked right in Lightroom after trying for 3 years. It's not that the colours were bad per say, it's just the colours IMHO were inconsistent. Took me about 2 days of tweaking to get Nikon the way I like). I just like the way they handle skin tones. Trust me I struggled for long enough with Canon color to know there's a difference.

That said, get a colorchecker passport and set up any camera, the color differences fade away (pun intended).

MLKstudios wrote: If you compare equally priced models, the image results are similar. The main difference is the location of the controls (plus how you navigate to menu items).

Best advice is to go hold both. Buy the one that feels right to YOU.

Matthew

Yes this is true. Nikon tend to have more dials and such on the body itself. I find this much better. Canon have slightly more things stuck in menus. This can be OK if you're use to it though. It's a personal preference thing.

lucky1one wrote: Personally, I like the images made by Canon more than Nikon.

Yeh this is a personal opinion and it really depends on what you shoot and what look you're going for.

As I said before, my main concern with Canon is the inconstancy it had with colour. It was really hard to get it dialed in with LR. That brings me to another point. Nikon's metering system is better than Canon. Sure it gets tricked sometimes, but it's more consistant and gives more predictable colours somehow... not sure if the metering system is linked to the colour or what.

effron wrote: Its been done to death. I shoot Nikon, but wouldn't hesitate to use a Canon. It don't matter too much............:blink:

While I agree in principle, I WOULD hesitate to use a Canon. This is because I know the AF system is dodgy on most of the bodies (7D and 1DIV are exceptions). I don't have anything against Canon though. My video camera (XF300) is a Canon and I think they're a great company.

KCook wrote: There is a zen difference in their designs. My view is that Canons are designed for artists and Nikons are designed for technicians.

Mmm personally I think Canons are designed by Engineers (and marketers... ahem... MP) and Nikons are designed by photographers. :whistle:

Baydream wrote: Rob - Maybe that's why sports shooters go Canon. Holding up those heavy Nikons is tough :thumbsup:

The 1D series is why they go for Canon. Gives them slightly more reach (x1.3) that said, a lot of sports shooters are going D3s these days. Better high ISO (lets them keep the shutter speed high) and excellent AF system make it a tempting choice for the sports shooter. Can't really go wrong with either. Both are EXCELLENT cameras for sports.
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #112111 by Scotty

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Firstly, I've owned a lot of Canon stuff and a bunch of Nikon stuff. Both are good and it really depend on your shooting style etc. That said... here comes the long post... :thumbsup:

Shadowfixer1 wrote: I use Nikon but it doesn't matter. A person needs to handle the cameras in a makers line and play with how it works to see which they prefer. Both will produce excellent images. Most feel that Nikon has a better focussing system and a better flash system. Canon lenses tend to be a little cheaper for the good glass. I would use Canon if it felt better than the Nikon. The Nikons I have owned just have a better and more solid feel to me. It's all personal preference.

This pretty much sums it up. Generally speaking the AF on Canon stuff sucks. This is a big deal because it doesn't matter how awesome a photo is, if the focus is off then it looks crap (IMHO). I owned a Canon 1DIV before using the D3s. The 1DIV does have very good AF. The D3s is slightly better. The 7D is supposed to have good AF, but to put it bluntly, most people who own one don't know how to dial it in right (so they say it sucks). The 5DIII (3) better improve the AF or I KNOW people will switch to Nikon (my Canon using buddy said so ;) ).

Generally I'll say Canon are better for portraits (more MP mainly) and landscapes (their colours seem to work better that way). Though for me personally (as I say below) I prefer Nikon for portraits as I like the skin tones Nikon tends to get. Though Nikon tend to mess up purple.

Personally I like Nikon colour better. I never really got Canon tweaked right in Lightroom after trying for 3 years. It's not that the colours were bad per say, it's just the colours IMHO were inconsistent. Took me about 2 days of tweaking to get Nikon the way I like). I just like the way they handle skin tones. Trust me I struggled for long enough with Canon color to know there's a difference.

That said, get a colorchecker passport and set up any camera, the color differences fade away (pun intended).

MLKstudios wrote: If you compare equally priced models, the image results are similar. The main difference is the location of the controls (plus how you navigate to menu items).

Best advice is to go hold both. Buy the one that feels right to YOU.

Matthew

Yes this is true. Nikon tend to have more dials and such on the body itself. I find this much better. Canon have slightly more things stuck in menus. This can be OK if you're use to it though. It's a personal preference thing.

lucky1one wrote: Personally, I like the images made by Canon more than Nikon.

Yeh this is a personal opinion and it really depends on what you shoot and what look you're going for.

As I said before, my main concern with Canon is the inconstancy it had with colour. It was really hard to get it dialed in with LR. That brings me to another point. Nikon's metering system is better than Canon. Sure it gets tricked sometimes, but it's more consistant and gives more predictable colours somehow... not sure if the metering system is linked to the colour or what.

effron wrote: Its been done to death. I shoot Nikon, but wouldn't hesitate to use a Canon. It don't matter too much............:blink:

While I agree in principle, I WOULD hesitate to use a Canon. This is because I know the AF system is dodgy on most of the bodies (7D and 1DIV are exceptions). I don't have anything against Canon though. My video camera (XF300) is a Canon and I think they're a great company.

KCook wrote: There is a zen difference in their designs. My view is that Canons are designed for artists and Nikons are designed for technicians.

Mmm personally I think Canons are designed by Engineers (and marketers... ahem... MP) and Nikons are designed by photographers. :whistle:

Baydream wrote: Rob - Maybe that's why sports shooters go Canon. Holding up those heavy Nikons is tough :thumbsup:

The 1D series is why they go for Canon. Gives them slightly more reach (x1.3) that said, a lot of sports shooters are going D3s these days. Better high ISO (lets them keep the shutter speed high) and excellent AF system make it a tempting choice for the sports shooter. Can't really go wrong with either. Both are EXCELLENT cameras for sports.

My keeper rate in burst was a lot higher on the D3s compared to the 1d mark 3. That's in Ai-servo though. In single shot, it was fast and accurate. The 5d's focus system is garbage though. They really need to update it. I do still miss the 5d classic though.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #112119 by McBeth Photography
I'm a Nikon guy, and I'm pretty new to photography in general. but it appears that the IQ is so good between the two brands that if I couldn't get a decent image from a Canon, the problem probably wouldn't be with the equipment .... it would be operator error, IMHO.

Just to make the conversation even more interesting I know a professional portrait photographer that shoots a Fuji S-5 body and Nikon lenses, she does amazing work with her Fuji!

It is what it is.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024