Pro's and Con's of owning a Nikon vs Canon

12 years 9 months ago #111896 by Pettigrew
I was asked my a good friend who is getting started in photography which manufacture should they go with? "Which is better". Easy for me to say, but then again my answer is bias.

So I could use your help. Can you post what you believe are the pro's and con's to owning either a Nikon or Canon. My friend is suppose to be signing up on here tomorrow and I will be forwarding this thread to them to read all the responses.

Thanks for the help PT.

Todd

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #111898 by Scotty
At entry level, it really doesn't matter.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #111902 by Shadowfixer1
I use Nikon but it doesn't matter. A person needs to handle the cameras in a makers line and play with how it works to see which they prefer. Both will produce excellent images. Most feel that Nikon has a better focussing system and a better flash system. Canon lenses tend to be a little cheaper for the good glass. I would use Canon if it felt better than the Nikon. The Nikons I have owned just have a better and more solid feel to me. It's all personal preference.
12 years 9 months ago #111911 by Henry Peach
They would be better off comparing specific models, and just going with a gut feeling as to which feels better in their hands, button placement, how the menu is organized, etc.... Still photography performance is going to be similar in general. After a few years of shooting they will have a much better idea of what they want in their next DSLR, and then they can decide which brand they are going to invest in. The worst thing a beginner can do is get all caught up in the gear. Just pick one and start shooting and learning.
12 years 9 months ago #111914 by chasrich
I speak Canon... I almost learned Nikonese before buying the camera and now I'm thinking I should own both. If for no other reason than to say I prefer one over the other and justify that opinion be saying "I own both". I did do my research which basically was no help at all because the two brands are both awesome.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 9 months ago #111922 by Dori
Nikon here. When I was in the market for a DSLR I compared prices and found Nikon to be a bit less. As has been said, it seems to be a matter of preference.

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 9 months ago #111924 by Baydream
For entry level, Canon offers more accessories and seems more open to allow third-parties to produce full-functioning gear. Nikon seems to keep a more propitiatory grasp, ala Apple.
Perhaps that part of why, when Nikon pulled even with Canon in DSLR sales in 2008, Canon responded and had moved significantly ahead by 2010.

According to one site, these are worldwide market shares.

The IDC reported yesterday on the marketshare of the camera makers for 2010.
Canon remains the #1 camera maker in the world if you included PowerShots. Sony is in 2nd place.
However, in DSLR marketshare for 2010. Canon kicked the butt of pretty much everyone out there.
DSLR Global Marketshare 2010
Canon 44.5%
Nikon 29.8%
Sony 11.9 %
I always attach a grain of salt to marketshare research, everyone seems to come up with a different number. However, IDC is pretty well respected.
Not that it matters but worth watching.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #111932 by effron
Its been done to death. I shoot Nikon, but wouldn't hesitate to use a Canon. It don't matter too much............:blink:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #111934 by MLKstudios
If you compare equally priced models, the image results are similar. The main difference is the location of the controls (plus how you navigate to menu items).

Best advice is to go hold both. Buy the one that feels right to YOU.

Matthew

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 9 months ago #111991 by fotozone
I just got my first DSLR a few months ago and I went with the Nikon D3100. I chose Nikon over Canon for a couple of reasons. Several years ago a computer store told me they would not sell Cannon products because Cannon did not stand behind its' warranty (A Cannon user may have personal experience that negates that statement. I am just repeating what I was told.) A year or so ago a friend of mine who is a dedicated Canon owner had a problem with his camera the USB port on the camera fell in side the camera and Canon told him HE would have to pay for the repairs that it was abuse of the camera. I know how he treats his equipment it was not something he did. That backed up what I was told years ago. As for Nikon I know a lot of people who shoot them and love them. They had nothing bad to say about the brand. That is my 2cents as to why I went with Nikon. It is a decision I have not regretted for even a second. :)
12 years 9 months ago #111997 by Baydream

fotozone wrote: I just got my first DSLR a few months ago and I went with the Nikon D3100. I chose Nikon over Canon for a couple of reasons. Several years ago a computer store told me they would not sell Cannon products because Cannon did not stand behind its' warranty (A Cannon user may have personal experience that negates that statement. I am just repeating what I was told.) A year or so ago a friend of mine who is a dedicated Canon owner had a problem with his camera the USB port on the camera fell in side the camera and Canon told him HE would have to pay for the repairs that it was abuse of the camera. I know how he treats his equipment it was not something he did. That backed up what I was told years ago. As for Nikon I know a lot of people who shoot them and love them. They had nothing bad to say about the brand. That is my 2cents as to why I went with Nikon. It is a decision I have not regretted for even a second. :)

Advice on cameras from a computer store clerk is like getting advise on TVs from a hardware store. Just saying. I have never had issues with Canon. Their customer service has been first rate. I believe both companies offer outstanding service. Glad you like your D3100 as much as I love my XSi and XT.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #111999 by fotozone

Baydream wrote:

fotozone wrote: I just got my first DSLR a few months ago and I went with the Nikon D3100. I chose Nikon over Canon for a couple of reasons. Several years ago a computer store told me they would not sell Cannon products because Cannon did not stand behind its' warranty (A Cannon user may have personal experience that negates that statement. I am just repeating what I was told.) A year or so ago a friend of mine who is a dedicated Canon owner had a problem with his camera the USB port on the camera fell in side the camera and Canon told him HE would have to pay for the repairs that it was abuse of the camera. I know how he treats his equipment it was not something he did. That backed up what I was told years ago. As for Nikon I know a lot of people who shoot them and love them. They had nothing bad to say about the brand. That is my 2cents as to why I went with Nikon. It is a decision I have not regretted for even a second. :)

Advice on cameras from a computer store clerk is like getting advise on TVs from a hardware store. Just saying. I have never had issues with Canon. Their customer service has been first rate. I believe both companies offer outstanding service. Glad you like your D3100 as much as I love my XSi and XT.

They were talking about there own experiences with the company, maybe printers and camera customer service are handled differently. They did not tell me not to get a Canon camera they told me not to get a Canon printer. I took there advice and have stayed away from the Canon brand.
12 years 9 months ago #112001 by Scotty

fotozone wrote:

Baydream wrote:

They were talking about there own experiences with the company, maybe printers and camera customer service are handled differently. They did not tell me not to get a Canon camera they told me not to get a Canon printer. I took there advice and have stayed away from the Canon brand.

My experience with canon cameras has been good, even through the 1d mark 3 debacle. Its too bad it never ran up to spec though.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #112005 by lucky1one
Personally, I like the images made by Canon more than Nikon. However, Nikon's placement of the buttons and controls are more intuitive. I have a hard time getting used to the thumb wheel on the back of Canon cameras. That's just me. If you place two identical images side by side made by Canon and Nikon, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference. You can't go wrong with either one. It's the Indian, not the arrow.

The following user(s) said Thank You: redneckphotos
12 years 9 months ago #112006 by Baydream

lucky1one wrote: Personally, I like the images made by Canon more than Nikon. However, Nikon's placement of the buttons and controls are more intuitive. I have a hard time getting used to the thumb wheel on the back of Canon cameras. That's just me. If you place two identical images side by side made by Canon and Nikon, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference. You can't go wrong with either one. It's the Indian, not the arrow.

:agree:

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024