Thinking about purchasing a 4x5 camera

8 years 8 hours ago #490679 by bojojo
During college, I used to shoot quite a bit with the medium and large format cameras available for use. Recently, I gained access to a friend's darkroom and I'm considering going back to shooting some of the film that's been sitting in my freezer for several years. Does anyone have any suggestions on camera models that I should take a look at? In addition, does anyone know of a place (online or otherwise) where I might be able to find a used 4x5 looking for a new home?

Thanks!

Photo Comments
8 years 5 hours ago #490694 by Chris Yates
I own a Toyo Field Camera. I don't use it all that often because of the price of buying and developing film, but it's a great camera that does its job. I reccomend it, and it seems from a quick search that they're not all that hard to find for sale.

Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago #490741 by KCook
The only 4x5 that I used was the Calumet.  There is good reason their price was so cheap.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

7 years 11 months ago #490822 by Tyler Otis
Forgive me for being a bit of a newbie and getting slightly off topic, but what exactly is a 4x5 camera?

Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago #490831 by effron

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
Attachments:
7 years 11 months ago #490866 by Shadowfixer1
The camera uses film that is a single sheet 4"x5" put into a film holder.
2 years 6 months ago #730989 by Cyclingeezer
Often, you can greatly control focus with the 4x5 camera, allowing you to get critical focus and perspective control by moving the lens in relation to the film plane. That is why a lot of folks use a dark cloth and a magnifier in conjunction with a 4x5 camera. I used a Burke and James Orbit, which later became the Calumet. 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

I’ve been testing the Vanguard VEO 5 264CB-160S for several weeks now, and I have to say that my first impressions are nothing but good. Vanguard has knocked it out of the park yet again!

Jul 01, 2024

The Fujifilm X-H2s is Fuji’s flagship hybrid APS-C mirrorless camera. It launched in the summer of 2022 and has been impressing photographers and videographers alike ever since!

Jun 17, 2024

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R1 was finally released last week, and the question is - does it live up to the hype? Let’s dive in and explore firsthand what this camera does and doesn’t offer.

Jul 23, 2024

Improving your photography skills takes time, effort, and dedication. But with these unique exercises, you can make the process of becoming a better photographer more fun, too!

Jul 23, 2024

Night street photography is a fun pursuit with opportunities to develop your skills with portraiture, light trails, and architectural photography skills - and your nighttime photography skills, too!

Jul 22, 2024

The Canon EOS R5 Mark II has been unveiled, but it has a hefty price tag. If it’s out of your budget, the original Canon EOS R5 is a fantastic option. Learn more about it in this guide!

Jul 18, 2024

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

You need to try unique newborn photography ideas from time to time to keep your inspiration levels up. With the ideas in this guide, you can do just that!

Jul 17, 2024

What is the best landscape lens for photography - a prime or a zoom? The answer is a little murky, as it depends on the specific situation. Learn more about these lenses in this detailed guide!

Jul 16, 2024

Lightning photography is a tricky beast, but with the right tips, tricks, and tools, you can make the most of the next storm that rolls through. Learn some essential techniques in this guide!

Jul 16, 2024