medium format?

13 years 4 months ago #38082 by Armon Photos
I know nothing about this format can someone tell me a little about it.

13 years 4 months ago #38083 by ko98
It's bigger then 35mm.

13 years 4 months ago #38084 by Armon Photos
Yea I know that much. That's about all I know. lol

13 years 4 months ago #38085 by ko98

Armon Photos wrote: Yea I know that much. That's about all I know. lol

:agree:

13 years 4 months ago #38086 by Kiss a Frog
Well medium is in the middle of the designated formats.

35mm is small
6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, and 6x9 are medium formats. Medium format uses roll film and the #s are in cm.
Large format is 4x5, 8x10 and up and the #'s are in inches. They use sheets of film.

6x45 and 6x6 are the most popular of the format. The larger film captures quite a bit more detail. It allows you to also enlarge photos much larger than 35mm.

13 years 4 months ago #38087 by Armon Photos

Kiss a Frog wrote: Well medium is in the middle of the designated formats.

35mm is small
6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, and 6x9 are medium formats. Medium format uses roll film and the #s are in cm.
Large format is 4x5, 8x10 and up and the #'s are in inches. They use sheets of film.

6x45 and 6x6 are the most popular of the format. The larger film captures quite a bit more detail. It allows you to also enlarge photos much larger than 35mm.

OK. I think I understand. :silly:

13 years 4 months ago #38088 by ko98

Armon Photos wrote:

Kiss a Frog wrote: Well medium is in the middle of the designated formats.

35mm is small

OK. I think I understand. :silly:

Hey, we both learn something new. :cheers:

13 years 4 months ago #38097 by Dr. Docter
an advantage with medium format cameras (MF) is their interchangeable backs - film is loaded into a separate compartment which then clicks/attaches onto the camera. This enables you to change film type at any time, say, from B&W to colour neg or transparency, even Polaroid, halfway through a roll

they have leaf shutters in their lens (or the option of) which are simpler to use with flash - no limitations with sync' speed

MF cameras have a choice of viewing systems - including waist level viewfinders, prism viewfinders, rotary finders and interchangeable viewing screens (only some 35mm cameras have these options)

Until the advent of digital, MF cameras were the mainstay of studio and professional shooters

These days good second hand models are available at reasonable cost

13 years 3 months ago #46821 by romanf
In addition to using film backs, most of the medium format cameras can also use digital backs. Obviously the latest ones are quite expensive, but some of the older, lower Megapixel backs, are somewhat more affordable.

The older backs usually need to be tethered to a computer to download pics, but the newer versions use CF cards to hold the pics for later download.

I believe the highest megapixel back I have seen is the Hasselblad, which is around 50 megapixels. Creates a very large file for sure.

13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #47127 by gfrontosa

romanf wrote: In addition to using film backs, most of the medium format cameras can also use digital backs. Obviously the latest ones are quite expensive, but some of the older, lower Megapixel backs, are somewhat more affordable.

The older backs usually need to be tethered to a computer to download pics, but the newer versions use CF cards to hold the pics for later download.

I believe the highest megapixel back I have seen is the Hasselblad, which is around 50 megapixels. Creates a very large file for sure.

Leaf came out with the first 80 mpx digital back late 2010 with the Leaf Aptus II 12. This back is compatible with Phase One, Hasselblad, Mamiya bodies and several tech cameras from Alpa, Arca Swiss, Cambo etc. www.leaf-photography.com/products_aptus212.asp

Then Phase One (who also owns Leaf) released the IQ180, a 80 mpx back earlier this year. www.phaseone.com/en/Digital-Backs/IQ180/IQ180-Info.aspx

I shoot with a Leaf AFi body with a Leaf AF7 33 mpx back for landscapes. Unlike a P&S or a DSLR, it takes a bit more time to compose a shot with MF.

Gerry

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

I’ve been testing the Vanguard VEO 5 264CB-160S for several weeks now, and I have to say that my first impressions are nothing but good. Vanguard has knocked it out of the park yet again!

Jul 01, 2024

The Fujifilm X-H2s is Fuji’s flagship hybrid APS-C mirrorless camera. It launched in the summer of 2022 and has been impressing photographers and videographers alike ever since!

Jun 17, 2024

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R1 was finally released last week, and the question is - does it live up to the hype? Let’s dive in and explore firsthand what this camera does and doesn’t offer.

Jul 23, 2024

Improving your photography skills takes time, effort, and dedication. But with these unique exercises, you can make the process of becoming a better photographer more fun, too!

Jul 23, 2024

Night street photography is a fun pursuit with opportunities to develop your skills with portraiture, light trails, and architectural photography skills - and your nighttime photography skills, too!

Jul 22, 2024

The Canon EOS R5 Mark II has been unveiled, but it has a hefty price tag. If it’s out of your budget, the original Canon EOS R5 is a fantastic option. Learn more about it in this guide!

Jul 18, 2024

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

You need to try unique newborn photography ideas from time to time to keep your inspiration levels up. With the ideas in this guide, you can do just that!

Jul 17, 2024

What is the best landscape lens for photography - a prime or a zoom? The answer is a little murky, as it depends on the specific situation. Learn more about these lenses in this detailed guide!

Jul 16, 2024

Lightning photography is a tricky beast, but with the right tips, tricks, and tools, you can make the most of the next storm that rolls through. Learn some essential techniques in this guide!

Jul 16, 2024