cameras with higher ISOs

9 years 6 months ago #55069 by Singa
I know that using a higher ISO creates noise, then why do some cameras have really high ISOs? like 6400 ISO. When and why would anyone use a ISO that high?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 6 months ago #55558 by KCook
To freeze an action subject in low light (without flash).

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 6 months ago #55562 by SpreadHDGFX
Does the camera usually do better with the noise at an ISO like 3200 compared to other cameras?

9 years 6 months ago #55568 by chasrich
The noise at any given ISO setting will vary from camera to camera. I say this not because I have many cameras but because the noise at the higher ISO settings in not that bothersome on my Canon 60D. I'm told it is a low noise sensor and I'm inclined to believe that based on the performance.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent

9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #55644 by Henry Peach

Singa wrote: ...why would anyone use a ISO that high?

Because we can! :woohoo: Lot's of interesting things happen in dark places, and sometimes using a flash can be obtrusive. Raising the ISO does tend to increase apparent noise. Compared to what I was used to shooting film even the older, cheaper DSLRs do a great job at high ISOs, and the 35mm DSLRs I'm using are fantastic at ISOs that I never thought I'd shoot at. And I don't use much additional noise reduction other than what's available in Adobe Camera Raw. They look pretty good on screen, but even more noise disappears somewhere between pixel peeping and the print.

I used to fear going above ISO 400, until I had some large prints made. Confront your fears. Make some test prints to see what you're really getting at ISO 3200. I'm not frightened of 4-digit ISOs once I saw what prints looked like.

Even if you are getting noise you have to decide what is better: a noisy photo or no photo? Go to the library and take a look at one of those Rolling Stone mag books on music photography. Look at how grainy and awful some of those looked. If you can convey some of the emotion, interest, and/or excitement of the scene the viewer will forgive a bit of noise.

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS100 might be four years old, but it still packs a punch for photographers looking for a feature-rich point-and-shoot camera.

Nov 23, 2020

The GoPro Hero 8 Black has since been replaced with the Hero 9 Black, but it's still a feature-rich action camera with plenty of mods to make it a great camera for you.

Nov 16, 2020

The Sony a9 II is a feature-rich full frame camera with superb image quality and video performance. In this review, learn all about its specs and capabilities.

Nov 12, 2020

In this Panasonic Lumix DC-G100 review, we'll look at the specs, features, build quality, price and more of this affordable camera for vloggers.

Nov 11, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

If you're after a cheap laptop for yourself or someone on your holiday shopping list, you might consider one of these computers under $500.

Nov 25, 2020

With these family portrait tips, you'll learn a few strategies for taking much-improved Thanksgiving family portraits.

Nov 24, 2020

There are tons of Black Friday photography deals available this year. Check this list of Adorama Black Friday deals, Amazon Black Friday deals, and much more!

Nov 24, 2020

Learning how to use a reflector is a photography lighting skill that is extremely valuable. In this tutorial, get simple instructions on using a reflector for portraits.

Nov 24, 2020

In this ViewSonic VP3481 review, learn about the features, specs, pros, cons, and price of this curved, widescreen monitor.

Nov 24, 2020

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS100 might be four years old, but it still packs a punch for photographers looking for a feature-rich point-and-shoot camera.

Nov 23, 2020

Canvas vs paper...which one is better? Personally, I prefer canvas because it looks great, is long-lasting, and can be very budget-friendly.

Nov 23, 2020

If you need some stocking stuffer ideas for your photography friends (or non-photography friends, for that matter...) check out this list of awesome Holdfast products.

Nov 23, 2020