cameras with higher ISOs

13 years 2 months ago #55069 by Singa
I know that using a higher ISO creates noise, then why do some cameras have really high ISOs? like 6400 ISO. When and why would anyone use a ISO that high?

13 years 2 months ago #55558 by KCook
To freeze an action subject in low light (without flash).

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

13 years 2 months ago #55562 by SpreadHDGFX
Does the camera usually do better with the noise at an ISO like 3200 compared to other cameras?

13 years 2 months ago #55568 by chasrich
The noise at any given ISO setting will vary from camera to camera. I say this not because I have many cameras but because the noise at the higher ISO settings in not that bothersome on my Canon 60D. I'm told it is a low noise sensor and I'm inclined to believe that based on the performance.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #55644 by Henry Peach

Singa wrote: ...why would anyone use a ISO that high?

Because we can! :woohoo: Lot's of interesting things happen in dark places, and sometimes using a flash can be obtrusive. Raising the ISO does tend to increase apparent noise. Compared to what I was used to shooting film even the older, cheaper DSLRs do a great job at high ISOs, and the 35mm DSLRs I'm using are fantastic at ISOs that I never thought I'd shoot at. And I don't use much additional noise reduction other than what's available in Adobe Camera Raw. They look pretty good on screen, but even more noise disappears somewhere between pixel peeping and the print.

I used to fear going above ISO 400, until I had some large prints made. Confront your fears. Make some test prints to see what you're really getting at ISO 3200. I'm not frightened of 4-digit ISOs once I saw what prints looked like.

Even if you are getting noise you have to decide what is better: a noisy photo or no photo? Go to the library and take a look at one of those Rolling Stone mag books on music photography. Look at how grainy and awful some of those looked. If you can convey some of the emotion, interest, and/or excitement of the scene the viewer will forgive a bit of noise.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

I’ve been testing the Vanguard VEO 5 264CB-160S for several weeks now, and I have to say that my first impressions are nothing but good. Vanguard has knocked it out of the park yet again!

Jul 01, 2024

The Fujifilm X-H2s is Fuji’s flagship hybrid APS-C mirrorless camera. It launched in the summer of 2022 and has been impressing photographers and videographers alike ever since!

Jun 17, 2024

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R1 was finally released last week, and the question is - does it live up to the hype? Let’s dive in and explore firsthand what this camera does and doesn’t offer.

Jul 23, 2024

Improving your photography skills takes time, effort, and dedication. But with these unique exercises, you can make the process of becoming a better photographer more fun, too!

Jul 23, 2024

Night street photography is a fun pursuit with opportunities to develop your skills with portraiture, light trails, and architectural photography skills - and your nighttime photography skills, too!

Jul 22, 2024

The Canon EOS R5 Mark II has been unveiled, but it has a hefty price tag. If it’s out of your budget, the original Canon EOS R5 is a fantastic option. Learn more about it in this guide!

Jul 18, 2024

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

You need to try unique newborn photography ideas from time to time to keep your inspiration levels up. With the ideas in this guide, you can do just that!

Jul 17, 2024

What is the best landscape lens for photography - a prime or a zoom? The answer is a little murky, as it depends on the specific situation. Learn more about these lenses in this detailed guide!

Jul 16, 2024

Lightning photography is a tricky beast, but with the right tips, tricks, and tools, you can make the most of the next storm that rolls through. Learn some essential techniques in this guide!

Jul 16, 2024