Non-Geek Speek magazine?

13 years 4 months ago #10765 by mari_mari
Hi. Can anybody recommend a photography journal or magazine of some kind that gives the reader an update on what's new and various new technigues but that ISN'T written in "geek speek." I want to learn but all the technical language is over my head.

13 years 4 months ago #10782 by Rob pix4u2
Popular Photography comes to mind but actually the beginner articles here on this site should do you well for learning the basics. Specifically what are you having trouble with understanding?
Kodak makes a lot of books that cover the basics too. Let us all know what you need help with as most of those who are self taught learned by trial and error and the ones with formal education have great knowledge to share as well

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 4 months ago #10797 by bhowdy
I have found the "Magic Lantern Guides" to be very helpful for each of the camera bodies that I own. These are not general photography type books, but are specific to a camera type and model.

Magic Lantern on Amazon

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

13 years 4 months ago #10805 by Screamin Scott
+1 for the "Magic Lantern" guides, but any time you are confused by a term, just "google" it & lots of info explaining it will show with the Wiki articles being one of the better ones

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #11073 by NormC
Yes. Tye the Photo Technique Publication at www.phototechmag.com/

13 years 3 months ago #11291 by crystal
That's great you want to learn. But you need to learn the photography terms first before you go ahead and learn how to shoot. What's the point in reading photography magazines/articles if you do not understand photography terms?

Google or ask us what something means.
13 years 3 months ago #11355 by Rob pix4u2

cwightmanphotos wrote: That's great you want to learn. But you need to learn the photography terms first before you go ahead and learn how to shoot. What's the point in reading photography magazines/articles if you do not understand photography terms?

Google or ask us what something means.

I wish there was an easier way for you to learn the "language" of photography. Having a shooter explain things to you is really the easiest way to learn the terminology. In my experience the concepts that the terms describe is the hardest part of the process but most of us have spent either a lot of money on an education in the field or a lot of trial and error in the field(literally) . I still have my BOY SCOUT Merit Badge book on photography and some of my first books on the subject that are really simple and easy to understand. These of course deal with film and not digital as they were written in the 1960s .

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 3 months ago #11363 by messyjessy8
I'm glad someone ask this kind of question. I also do not know photography terms, but I am learning.

13 years 3 months ago #11439 by ArtieTS
www.ephotozine.com/ and www.apogeephotoc.om/
There are quite a few - too numerous to mention here. Check your internet under ephotography zines.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024