filter's

13 years 3 months ago #11362 by Cjarvis
Can any one recomend a filter kit for me?

13 years 3 months ago #11379 by Rob pix4u2
Basics include an idea of what you are shooting but I have found that Cokin and Lee get good reviews ( I have the Cokin System) but also Nikon makes excellent filters, Singh Ray , and several others are available from B & H Photo. Hard to reccommend specific filters unless you tell us what you are shooting

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

The following user(s) said Thank You: Cjarvis
13 years 3 months ago #11386 by Cjarvis
I am looking so show the movement in water and im kinda on a tight budget:(

13 years 3 months ago #11401 by Scotty

Cjarvis wrote: I am looking so show the movement in water and im kinda on a tight budget:(

For cheap budget, go cokin probably a P mounting kit. Then search for a Neutral Density filter, 3-4 stop would be great.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #11530 by Stealthy Ninja

Cjarvis wrote: I am looking so show the movement in water and im kinda on a tight budget:(

You mean to get a slow Shutter Speed? You need a Neutral Density filter.

There are plenty of brands to suit a variety of budgets. Personally I have a 8-stop one for a company called Matin (you might not need 8 stops, but when I need this I need a lot of slowing down usually). It's a fairly cheap one from Japan. You can get more expensive and cheaper ones, but I find this one a good middle of the road and haven't noticed any IQ loss at all.
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #11539 by Karl Wertanen

I would say the 1st filter to get would be a good circular polarizer... It's an extremely versatile filter for outdoor photos (if thats what you are going after). It will slow down your shutter to let you take 1-2 second shutter drags (and more depending on lighting conditions while shooting ISO100 at higher apertures), it will eliminate any glare on the water as well, take the haze out of blue skies and give you a richer blue, and green up foliage by removing light reflections for an added bonus.

Neutral Density filters are good as well for "really long" daylight exposures... If $ is a concern, my humble opinion, i would recomend the polarizer. You'll get your biggest "bang for your buck" w/the added bonuses i mentioned above.

Both of these are 1-2 second exposures w/a poalrizer only. I've only really needed a ND filter for a minimum 1 second exposure in harsh direct sunlight to decently blur water. Sorry for the blurry low res photos..

Attachments:
13 years 3 months ago #11542 by Karl Wertanen

Karl Wertanen wrote:

I would say the 1st filter to get would be a good circular polarizer... It's an extremely versatile filter for outdoor photos (if thats what you are going after). It will slow down your shutter to let you take 1-2 second shutter drags (and more depending on lighting conditions while shooting ISO100 at higher apertures), it will eliminate any glare on the water as well, take the haze out of blue skies and give you a richer blue, and green up foliage by removing light reflections for an added bonus.

Neutral Density filters are good as well for "really long" daylight exposures... If $ is a concern, my humble opinion, i would recomend the polarizer. You'll get your biggest "bang for your buck" w/the added bonuses i mentioned above.

Both of these are 1-2 second exposures w/a poalrizer only. I've only really needed a ND filter for a minimum 1 second exposure in harsh direct sunlight to decently blur water. Sorry for the blurry low res photos..

Oh yea! You'll also need a sturdy tripod if you wish too keep your photos sharp w/ longer shutter speeds. The heavier the better. No walmart specials!
13 years 3 months ago #11589 by Scotty

Karl Wertanen wrote:

Karl Wertanen wrote:

Oh yea! You'll also need a sturdy tripod if you wish too keep your photos sharp w/ longer shutter speeds. The heavier the better. No walmart specials!

Or lighter the better. High end carbon fiber tripods are amazing.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #11595 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote:

Karl Wertanen wrote:

Karl Wertanen wrote:

Or lighter the better. High end carbon fiber tripods are amazing.

Feisol FTW IMHO YMMV. :whistle: :whistle:
13 years 3 months ago #12398 by luckywish1
what kind of filter would i need to get has me being a beginner on all this stuff? the camera that im geting is a nikon d3100

13 years 3 months ago #12426 by Rob pix4u2
As Karl recommended a circular polarizer filter that fits your lens size or a Cokin P system holder with their polarizer . then build your filter system from the Cokin inventory. I have collected about 40 or 50 of the Cokin filters over the years and like the special effects filters .

This is a multi image Cokin filter effect that I especially like

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
13 years 3 months ago #12647 by Scotty

Karl Wertanen wrote:

I agree, polarizers are invaluable.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #13847 by luckywish1
which filter would i need to get for my camera that im geting? im geting the nikon d3100 and i need to find me a filter for it when i bring it home. thinking about looking on bestbuy too or maybe walmart for a filter. i saw a few on walmart tonight for 19.00 dollars im still looking around gigggle gigggle gigggle gigggle

13 years 3 months ago #13851 by Cjarvis
Target has a filter kit that will fit your camera comes with a UV, polirizer a star filter and a case for 19.99

13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #13877 by Karl Wertanen
Just keep in mind that when buying a polarizer, you get what you pay for. I've bought a Cokin circular polarizer a long time ago when i was just starting out (maybe they've improved it since then or come out w/a higher end polarizer) but it was an awful polarizer (in my opinion). It would slightly darken the blue skies and slightly take reflections off different things (and it was mediocre at that) but it also cast a strange shade/color (that i cant really describe) over everything in my photos. If you're looking for cheap, Cokin is on the cheaper end of polarizers, but remember, you get what you pay for. If you ask me, and If you're serious about your photos, dont skimp out and get a cheaper polarizer. Get a decent one. If you dont, you'll just end up getting a better one not too far off down the road and spending more money than you would have if you just made the investment to start. I would also recommend a polarizer before any other filter if your main interest is "outdoor" photography. It's the most versatile and i believe you'll use it the most out of any other filter. I do and many of my friends who shoot outdoor/landscapes do anyway.

I have a Hoya Super HMC Multi-coated Pro polarizer and i love it. Its' perfectly clear so it wont shade your photos w/any unwanted color and it does an exceptional job darkening blue skies and removing glare and saturating colors.

www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&biw=10...&fp=919d84f1bd378e03

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Latest Articles

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024