Nikon D90 VS Nikon D5000

12 years 8 months ago #137848 by LovePhotography
I am wondering what the difference between Nikon D90 & Nikon D5000 is?? I have friends and one has one and one has the other and they BOTH say that their is the Best..

I don't know Nikon - Nor camera's in General but was wondering if there was a difference - :toetap:

:thumbsup:

12 years 8 months ago #137855 by Qmamom
I recently went to the Nikon official site and compared several different models. The D90 was at the top of the line until they released the newer models. I don't know where it falls now since I believe they quit producing it. It may still just be a matter of opinion as to which is better lol.

12 years 8 months ago #137867 by icepics
Qmamom, I think you're right, it's a matter of preference. Marcie each of your friends probably just likes their camera better.

You seem to be getting hung up on the two different brands and it doesn't really matter, both are top brands. (And there are more than just those two major brands). It doesn't hurt to look, you might learn more about cameras in the process. But I don't think you'll get better photos switching brands. You probably need to keep learning about different techniques to get better w/the camera you already have.

If you really want to try a different camera, maybe rent one to try it out. Maybe you will end up someday finding a camera you like better than the one you have now. I think the hard thing about buying online is you don't get to hold the camera and get a feel for it before you buy it. Once you get better at photography it might become easier to know what you might want in a new camera.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #137869 by Stealthy Ninja
D5000 was replaced by the D5100
D90 was replaced by the D7000

Nikons (current bodied are as follows - from cheapest/worst to best/most expensive):
D3100
D5100 (D5000 use to be here)
D7000 (D90 use to be here)
D300s
D700
D3s
D3x

As for the differences.
I'd say the body on the D90 is better quality (magnesium alloy for the D90, plastic for the D5000)
D90 has a higher resolution LCD on the back, dedicated info LCD on the top
D90 can focus using AF-D lenses (it has a AF-motor that lets it do this)
D90 has a bigger and brighter viewfinder.
The D90 has CLS (Creative Lighting System) commander built in. So it can command an off camera (Nikon) flash.
D90 has more AF points.
D90 has overall better AF

D5000 can use really old Nikon Non-AI lenses and the D90 can't. This shouldn't be a problem, but here's an explanation:
D40/D60/D5000 do not have a motor in camera body for focusing some lenses. So some 3rd party or older AF and AF-D lenses will meter but not AutoFocus.

Pre-AI | AI,AI-S,E series
- mounts,no meter use as Full manual set aperture on lens and shutter on camera. And guessimate the exposure as no metering.

AI-P | AF AF-D | AF-G
- mounts and meters,no AF so you set/lock aperture at f22 and manually have to focus and will meter scene.

Lenses designated Nikon AF-S, Sigma HSM or Tamron Di2 with built in motor. Will function fully.

But on the D90 can take Ai and Ais lenses and the AF and AF-D series lens will Autofocus on the D40/D60/D5000 they will not.
The following user(s) said Thank You: utsav.verma
12 years 8 months ago #137971 by Qmamom
When I was looking to upgrade from the D60 to the D300 ($ dropped) retailers were trying to talk me into the D90. That said I'm glad I waited but I have looked at the D90 for my son but glanced over the D5000 as the D5100 & D7000 were out. Some think that more megapixels make better cameras but I have learned that isn't always the case.
P.S. Stealthy Ninja, you forgot the D300s lol. Great job explaining the differences!

12 years 8 months ago #138163 by Plane Fly
The D5000 is a lower level camera compare to the D90. In theory the D90 is a better camera because it a higher end camera, however the D5000 was made after the D90. So it's a toss up.

12 years 8 months ago #138175 by Stealthy Ninja

Plane Fly wrote: The D5000 is a lower level camera compare to the D90. In theory the D90 is a better camera because it a higher end camera, however the D5000 was made after the D90. So it's a toss up.

When it's made is largely irrelevant. A newer camera might have more modern features (like 1080p video) but a good camera is a good camera. A D700 will still beat a D5000 any day of the week and the D700 is really old. Heck a Canon 5D (not mark II the original) is 5 years old or so and it'll still take a nicer photo than a D5000.
12 years 8 months ago #138176 by Stealthy Ninja

Qmamom wrote: When I was looking to upgrade from the D60 to the D300 ($ dropped) retailers were trying to talk me into the D90. That said I'm glad I waited but I have looked at the D90 for my son but glanced over the D5000 as the D5100 & D7000 were out. Some think that more megapixels make better cameras but I have learned that isn't always the case.
P.S. Stealthy Ninja, you forgot the D300s lol. Great job explaining the differences!

Yeh I always forget the D300s lol. The D7000 is better than the D300s in many ways. The D300s always slips my mind. I edited my post, thanks. :)
12 years 8 months ago #138201 by Qmamom

Yeh I always forget the D300s lol. The D7000 is better than the D300s in many ways. The D300s always slips my mind. I edited my post, thanks.

:P lol just teasing...

12 years 8 months ago #138209 by Stealthy Ninja
NP you were right I did forget. :)
12 years 8 months ago #138457 by LovePhotography

Qmamom wrote: I recently went to the Nikon official site and compared several different models. The D90 was at the top of the line until they released the newer models. I don't know where it falls now since I believe they quit producing it. It may still just be a matter of opinion as to which is better lol.[/quote

Just was wondering as I was kind of under the thought that they were the same sort

12 years 8 months ago #138459 by LovePhotography

icepics wrote: Qmamom, I think you're right, it's a matter of preference. Marcie each of your friends probably just likes their camera better.

You seem to be getting hung up on the two different brands and it doesn't really matter, both are top brands. (And there are more than just those two major brands). It doesn't hurt to look, you might learn more about cameras in the process. But I don't think you'll get better photos switching brands. You probably need to keep learning about different techniques to get better w/the camera you already have.

If you really want to try a different camera, maybe rent one to try it out. Maybe you will end up someday finding a camera you like better than the one you have now. I think the hard thing about buying online is you don't get to hold the camera and get a feel for it before you buy it. Once you get better at photography it might become easier to know what you might want in a new camera.

Sorry if you think that I am like that - NO I like talking about camera's, lenses and stuff ( I know nothing so I thought that I would ask) I was thinking that the D90 was a better camera BUT then I was told that the D5000 is better - So I was confused

Oh I am NOT looking for a camera - I like mine and I am working on getting better BUT I was talking to both of them and I was just wondering..

I hope to get better at photography before I do anything else - I love my Canon.. it will take a while to try stuff out but I am asking not to GET something but to find out more about the Nikon Brand and which one is better ..

Ya know?? Or am I talking out my a--?? Sorry

12 years 8 months ago #138461 by LovePhotography

Stealthy Ninja wrote: D5000 was replaced by the D5100
D90 was replaced by the D7000

Nikons (current bodied are as follows - from cheapest/worst to best/most expensive):
D3100
D5100 (D5000 use to be here)
D7000 (D90 use to be here)
D300s
D700
D3s
D3x

As for the differences.
I'd say the body on the D90 is better quality (magnesium alloy for the D90, plastic for the D5000)
D90 has a higher resolution LCD on the back, dedicated info LCD on the top
D90 can focus using AF-D lenses (it has a AF-motor that lets it do this)
D90 has a bigger and brighter viewfinder.
The D90 has CLS (Creative Lighting System) commander built in. So it can command an off camera (Nikon) flash.
D90 has more AF points.
D90 has overall better AF

D5000 can use really old Nikon Non-AI lenses and the D90 can't. This shouldn't be a problem, but here's an explanation:
D40/D60/D5000 do not have a motor in camera body for focusing some lenses. So some 3rd party or older AF and AF-D lenses will meter but not AutoFocus.

Pre-AI | AI,AI-S,E series
- mounts,no meter use as Full manual set aperture on lens and shutter on camera. And guessimate the exposure as no metering.

AI-P | AF AF-D | AF-G
- mounts and meters,no AF so you set/lock aperture at f22 and manually have to focus and will meter scene.

Lenses designated Nikon AF-S, Sigma HSM or Tamron Di2 with built in motor. Will function fully.

But on the D90 can take Ai and Ais lenses and the AF and AF-D series lens will Autofocus on the D40/D60/D5000 they will not.

THANK YOU For this - it helps me out a lot - One friend has a D5000 and her pictures are Great & one has a D90 & her pictures are also amazing.. So I was just being noisy and I wanted to sort of find out which one of better so I can talk about it.. I really don't know anything about Nikon SO this is Great & VERY Helpful - So Means A LOT to me

12 years 8 months ago #138462 by LovePhotography

Qmamom wrote: When I was looking to upgrade from the D60 to the D300 ($ dropped) retailers were trying to talk me into the D90. That said I'm glad I waited but I have looked at the D90 for my son but glanced over the D5000 as the D5100 & D7000 were out. Some think that more megapixels make better cameras but I have learned that isn't always the case.

OH... I am not sure which one is better OR whatever but I like to sort of know (or try to) what I am talking about.. One friend has a D5000 & takes amazing pictures with it and the other has a D90 & her pictures are amazing and she has her own photography - she owns her own company - I am NOT looking for a new camera but wanted to know sort of what I was talking about -

Nice to know that I can ask a question and get answers..

12 years 8 months ago #138463 by LovePhotography

Plane Fly wrote: The D5000 is a lower level camera compare to the D90. In theory the D90 is a better camera because it a higher end camera, however the D5000 was made after the D90. So it's a toss up.

Well both Pictures are AMAZING with what they have so - One is a professional & one just does it for fun... Thank youl

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024