What filters for outdoor portraits?

12 years 7 months ago #141595 by Hugh 78
I'm going to be taking outdoor portraits (unpaid) next week and was hoping to get some advice. Are there any filters that are recommended for this situation? It's going to be evening (around 6-6:30PM) and in a lightly shaded area. There will be dense trees/foliage behind the subjects and their backs will be to the sun (but the sun will be behind the trees). Not ideal, I know, but I can't change the location.

12 years 7 months ago #141602 by Brookie
No filters for portraits.

Shooting in the shade with the Sun behind the background you won't have what is known as 'open shade', and to have facial mask shadow modeling, you'll need strobed lighting. Reflectors may not work because of the Sun's position. That will depend on how high the background is.

If the Sun is above the background you may also have lens flare, even with a hood, and any filters would just make lens flare worse.

12 years 7 months ago #141610 by Hugh 78
Thanks, I knew filters are needed for overall shooting, I assume there was filters for portraits too.

12 years 7 months ago #141763 by photobod

Hugh 78 wrote: Thanks, I knew filters are needed for overall shooting, I assume there was filters for portraits too.

There are filters for all occassions but as Brookie has pointed out, with the description you give that filters would make things worse, it sounds as though you may need to up your iso a bit, try 500 and work up from there until you get a decent shutter speed, also as has been suggested a flash would help, it doesnt sound as though you are set up for off camera flash so if it is on camera you will need to diffuse it.
Experiment and use your rear screen to help you make judgements.[/b][/color]

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 7 months ago #141857 by MLKstudios
Filters are never needed, in general shooting. They do have a purpose for some situations, but rarely are they a necessity.

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 7 months ago #141870 by Henry Peach

Hugh 78 wrote: It's going to be evening (around 6-6:30PM) and in a lightly shaded area. There will be dense trees/foliage behind the subjects and their backs will be to the sun (but the sun will be behind the trees). Not ideal, I know, but I can't change the location.

That sounds like a fine time and location for a portrait session to me. :) Late day, low sun, some shade, trees... That's what I look for when scheduling my portrait sessions.

I used more filters for portraits when I was stuck on daylight balance with film. Raw makes color balance so easy to deal with I've only used polarizers and occasionally ND filters since switching to digital. A pol can be handy. Not only does it do it's normal thing for color, when using fill flash in bright daylight it blocks some light allowing a larger aperture when you are already maxed out at the flash sync speed and lowest ISO. That's all I use the NDs for: getting the exposure down when using large apertures and already maxed out at the sync speed and lowest ISO.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024