One lens for a wedding?

12 years 5 months ago #176913 by Jo0c7
I am not a pro photographer, but I want to take pictures of my friends wedding. They plan on hiring a professional photographer but they insisted they still want me to take some photos. So my question is what is one type of lens that I need to shoot the wedding with. I have a Nikon D50.
Thanks.

12 years 5 months ago #176919 by john_m
Never shot a wedding before so this is just a stab.....I would imagine that you would want something wide. What lens [es] do you have now. I know you said that you are not a pro photographer so I will not say Nikon 17-55. Do you have the 55-200 (may have came in as part of the D50 kit)? If so, I would try using that lens. This way you will still be able to shoot parts of the wedding but wont be intrusive to the paid photographer. Either way, best of luck and post up your results afterwards!

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #176930 by kk6600
18-55 could work

12 years 5 months ago #176931 by ko98
Since you are not the hiring photographer. You could rent or buy (if you have the money) a 70-200 f2.8.

12 years 5 months ago #176932 by Jo0c7

kk6600 wrote: 18-55 could work

That is the only lens I have and to be honest, there are times I do not like the quality. However I never bought a new lens to replace it because up until now I have just been taking pictures of my kids. So it was no big deal. But now I would like a nice lens to shoot the wedding.

12 years 5 months ago #176935 by Jo0c7
If there is one lens that is a great all around lens I have no problem buying it. I just need to know what it is. I had the 18-55 for so long, I am ready to upgrade and spend money if need too (not thousands, but enough)

12 years 5 months ago #176937 by john_m
Well there are plenty of quality glass out there then. If you plan on staying with the D50, and want a lens that will autofocus, you are going to get stuck with buying mroe expensive lenses (AF-S). But, if you upgrade your body to anything that has a focus motor built into it, then you will be able to (AF) the lesser expensive glass (D lenses). I just picked up a Tokina AT-X Pro 28-80 2.8. This lens is a beast and is sharp, not to mention the bokeh is beautiful. The lens new ran right around $800 iirc and I picked it up off craigslist in LNIB for $400.

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

12 years 5 months ago #176939 by john_m
Oh yeah, take a look at KEH.com also. They have some really nice Nikon glass on there and also you can use their prices to get an average for lenses you find anywhere else.

Nikon D200

12 years 5 months ago #176941 by McBeth Photography
Pick up a prime lens like the AF-s Nikkor 35mm 1.8G, and if you can, get a AF-s Nikkor 50mm 1.8G as well. Lots of rave reviews for these lenses, and they are sharp!

It is what it is.
12 years 5 months ago #176959 by kk6600

john_m wrote: Well there are plenty of quality glass out there then. If you plan on staying with the D50, and want a lens that will autofocus, you are going to get stuck with buying mroe expensive lenses (AF-S). But, if you upgrade your body to anything that has a focus motor built into it, then you will be able to (AF) the lesser expensive glass (D lenses). I just picked up a Tokina AT-X Pro 28-80 2.8. This lens is a beast and is sharp, not to mention the bokeh is beautiful. The lens new ran right around $800 iirc and I picked it up off craigslist in LNIB for $400.

I don't have a D50, but to my knowledge it has an auto focus motor in it. Well i thought it did.

12 years 5 months ago #176961 by Jo0c7

kk6600 wrote:

john_m wrote: Well there are plenty of quality glass out there then. If you plan on staying with the D50, and want a lens that will autofocus, you are going to get stuck with buying mroe expensive lenses (AF-S). But, if you upgrade your body to anything that has a focus motor built into it, then you will be able to (AF) the lesser expensive glass (D lenses). I just picked up a Tokina AT-X Pro 28-80 2.8. This lens is a beast and is sharp, not to mention the bokeh is beautiful. The lens new ran right around $800 iirc and I picked it up off craigslist in LNIB for $400.

I don't have a D50, but to my knowledge it has an auto focus motor in it. Well i thought it did.

You are correct. My Nikon D50 has an auto focus motor in it, which is one of the reasons I bought it. So in case I were to ever get a new lens, I wouldn't have to worry about the lens itself being an auto focus lens, cuz the camera will still auto focus.

12 years 5 months ago #176962 by Jo0c7

john_m wrote: Oh yeah, take a look at KEH.com also. They have some really nice Nikon glass on there and also you can use their prices to get an average for lenses you find anywhere else.

Thank you. I will check out keh. I bought my camera as a package from B&H but I haven't bought anything camera related since I bought this camera. So I am willing to look at other sites.

12 years 5 months ago #176963 by Jo0c7

McBeth Photography wrote: Pick up a prime lens like the AF-s Nikkor 35mm 1.8G, and if you can, get a AF-s Nikkor 50mm 1.8G as well. Lots of rave reviews for these lenses, and they are sharp!

Thanks. That was going to be my next question. As to if I should get a prime lens and which one. But you already answered. :thumbsup:

12 years 5 months ago #176965 by john_m

kk6600 wrote:

Yeah, your right (just looked it up). I always thought the D70 was the only entry level Nikon that had it. Well in that case, I would start looking for some quality D lenses.

Nikon D200

12 years 5 months ago #176969 by john_m

Jo0c7 wrote:

McBeth Photography wrote: Pick up a prime lens like the AF-s Nikkor 35mm 1.8G, and if you can, get a AF-s Nikkor 50mm 1.8G as well. Lots of rave reviews for these lenses, and they are sharp!

Thanks. That was going to be my next question. As to if I should get a prime lens and which one. But you already answered. :thumbsup:

I use the 50mm 1.8D lens and it is wonderful and sharp at f4. The only issue I can see is trying to use it during a wedding since you will need to move around to compose your shots (which may not be feasable). Either way though, the 50mm is an outstading performer and great all-around lens. Best of luck!

Nikon D200

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024