Book on MANUAL Shooting?? IS there such a thing??

12 years 3 months ago #185245 by L Hetter

Gary Trent photography wrote: If you own a DSLR ..... never, EVER shoot in auto! ...... :nunu:

Why did you buy such a camera when you could have bought
an inexpensive point-and-shoot?

Manual shooting is total control over your camera and the image before you.

Setting the aperture and shutter speeds is what photo'y is all about.
Your camera settings are your "personal" touch.

Two things:
1) go to web-sites that instruct manual-shooting.
2) bracket a shot and see what image you like best.

As with the photo you take and the attitude towards it,
my rule is KISS

:cheers:

I would never say NEVER EVER shoot in Auto, because sometimes Auto can come in handy, hence why it's there, but I agree, if you own a DSLR do most of your shooting off Auto.

12 years 3 months ago #185246 by L Hetter

LovePhotography wrote:

Gary Trent photography wrote: If you own a DSLR ..... never, EVER shoot in auto! ...... :nunu:

Why did you buy such a camera when you could have bought
an inexpensive point-and-shoot?

Manual shooting is total control over your camera and the image before you.

Setting the aperture and shutter speeds is what photo'y is all about.
Your camera settings are your "personal" touch.

Two things:
1) go to web-sites that instruct manual-shooting.
2) bracket a shot and see what image you like best.

As with the photo you take and the attitude towards it,
my rule is KISS

:cheers:

:goodpost:

Yes I have TWO DSLR camera's and YES with both I shoot in Auto - I have tried other setting but Don't really know who to work them -

I know that Manual is you are in control but if you have no clue what you are doing it makes it very hard to understand.

I get it but I have no clue what works with what - If I want to shoot a bird - I need to know what the best setting is and right now i have no clue - that is why I use Auto - and some of it works & some of it doesn't...

Good Advice - Thanks..

If you do not understand manual, that is open. remember practice makes perfect. Shooting birds you can set the camera on aperture mode, choose your aperture and let the camera choose your shutter speed.

12 years 3 months ago #185349 by JGMendez
I myself am intimidated by manual shooting. I came across this book www.amazon.com/Exposure-Snapshots-Great-...Revell/dp/0321741293 and it seems to touch on all the basics of shooting with a DSLR. I take it with me almost all the time I go out shooting.

12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #185386 by Gary Trent photography
@ LovePhotography.

Yes .... "think & calm down" .... lol .... :blink:
Lets keep this simple.

First :
Shutter speed .... very self explainitory.
Aperature ..... now here's the real tool to work with.
The larger the number ie: f16 the more depth of field (DOF).
That is, the more focus between foreground & background.
The smaller the number ie F5.6 the less DOF.

Now, when you look at your subject determine first the shutter speed.
If the action is moving choose a faster shutter speed but this
will mean you loose DOF or (f-stop).
IE: f16 @ 60sec. (landscape) = f5.6 @ 1/250sec (horse race)
These settings will be basically the same (correct) exposure.
In manual your camera will show you this.

Say you have a landscape .... nothing moving.
Choose a slower shutter speed.
Then choose a greater DOF ie: f16 where most everything in
fore/background will be in focus.
Do the opposite for the horse race.

(while I'm here, you may increase the ISO for more shutter
speed and/or DOF if needed)

Every photo'er may do this different in manual,
but here's what I basically do.
Set the shutter to around 1/125 sec with ISO at 100.
Now your ready to choose your DOF.
If you want the fore/background in focus then use f8. (slower shutter)
If you want your fore/background out of focus choose f5.6
and a faster shutter speed.

Now, with most DSLRs ..... your camera will show you this
along with a DOF preview button.
The preview button will show how much DOF you have.
It should be on your lens barrel ..... use it !

I suggest you Google web-sites on the subjects of DOF
and SHUTTER speeds. There are lots of them.

If your not happy with all that (:nunu:) think of your
camera's lens as your own eye.
The brighter the light your pupil will contract (more DOF)
The darker the light your pupil will expand (less DOF)

Once you learn this control you will NEVER go back to Auto.
Trust me and hope this helps.

GT

GaryTrent photography (Canada)

Owner of
Art Effects Gallery,
Grand Forks, B.C. Canada

Please visit me on Multiply:
whazit2u.multiply.com/

12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #185393 by boriqua latina
If u have a DSLR shoot manual all the time, 24/7....you will have control of the exposure and lighting...and u are in control of the tool which is the camera..the p for program and other modes read many lighting around then u wonder y u have bad exposures..to be professional u gotta train ur mind and study, read, do internships, manual is not hard, if u think its hard then u set ur mind that it is hard....u can learn this in school..if you got the love for photography push urself and do manual like I do..

12 years 3 months ago #185399 by john_m

boriqua latina wrote: If u have a DSLR shoot manual all the time, 24/7....you will have control of the exposure and lighting...and u are in control of the tool which is the camera..the p for program and other modes read many lighting around then u wonder y u have bad exposures..to be professional u gotta train ur mind and study, read, do internships, manual is not hard, if u think its hard then u set ur mind that it is hard....u can learn this in school..if you got the love for photography push urself and do manual like I do..

:agree:

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #185404 by orion

john_m wrote:

boriqua latina wrote: If u have a DSLR shoot manual all the time, 24/7....you will have control of the exposure and lighting...and u are in control of the tool which is the camera..the p for program and other modes read many lighting around then u wonder y u have bad exposures..to be professional u gotta train ur mind and study, read, do internships, manual is not hard, if u think its hard then u set ur mind that it is hard....u can learn this in school..if you got the love for photography push urself and do manual like I do..

:agree:

:goodpost: :agree:

Its your mind thats telling you its hard, digital is cheap, take as much time over it as you need, practice makes perfect, costing you nothing, then you will be wondering why it was so hard in the first place when you get the results. Dont really need books, lot of useful info on this thread. Practical practice is what you need.

12 years 3 months ago #187124 by MajorMagee
This might make the relationships in Manual Shooting a little clearer.

The following user(s) said Thank You: JGMendez

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024