Book on MANUAL Shooting?? IS there such a thing??

12 years 3 months ago #184842 by LovePhotography
So I have been talking to a friend of mine who (AS I know MANY of you) have told me that I have to Start Shooting in Manual Mode and I was wondering if there was a book on it? I have tried it and I am NOT Good at it at all - but was wondering if a book or some type of reference that I could use - as I am NOT sure what works with what? I have signed up for the a photoclass and I have not done much with it as I have been busy but now should be able to go back to it - but HOW does one know what works with what? The setting on the camera I mean - There is SO MUCH to it - So I want to TRY it this weekend - but would love to know - if I have the shutter speed on something what should AV and all other setting be at to get a good picture -

Sorry if a stupid quesiton but I HAVE NO CLUE and I would LOVE to start working with Manual Mode - instead of AUTO..

Thanks for your time..

12 years 3 months ago #184849 by Henry Peach
Any how-to photography book should cover manual exposure. There are lots of websites too. Keep taking those classes (MLK? He knows what he's doing.)

Learning manual exposure is sort of like learning to ride a bike. At first it seems intimidating, but once you apply yourself it comes quickly, and with some practice you will be well on your way to mastering it, and you'll look back and think "Why did I ever think that would be difficult?"

You need to start out by changing your mindset that learning manual exposure is complicated or difficult. I promise you that you have learned to do much more complicated things in your life. Then read up and study until you understand what aperture, shutter, and ISO do, and how they relate to each other. You need to know what a stop is. You need to know what the meter is telling you. Figuring out these fundamentals should be fairly simple. The hard part is making using them instinctual, and learning to assess tonality in the real world. That takes time and practice. A book won't help you with those; you just need to get out and shoot in manual.
12 years 3 months ago #184863 by backh0me652
I wouldn't get over whelmed with manual mode. If you are not ready to use it, don't. Having a DSLR doesn't mean shoot manual. Start with one of the other modes shutter/aperture mode. Heck you can shoot all of your photos using either one of those two modes. Don't rush into manual mode, just because a friend says you should be shooting manual. Choose to shoot manual when you are ready too.

12 years 3 months ago #184918 by LovePhotography

Henry Peach wrote: Any how-to photography book should cover manual exposure. There are lots of websites too. Keep taking those classes (MLK? He knows what he's doing.)

Learning manual exposure is sort of like learning to ride a bike. At first it seems intimidating, but once you apply yourself it comes quickly, and with some practice you will be well on your way to mastering it, and you'll look back and think "Why did I ever think that would be difficult?"

You need to start out by changing your mindset that learning manual exposure is complicated or difficult. I promise you that you have learned to do much more complicated things in your life. Then read up and study until you understand what aperture, shutter, and ISO do, and how they relate to each other. You need to know what a stop is. You need to know what the meter is telling you. Figuring out these fundamentals should be fairly simple. The hard part is making using them instinctual, and learning to assess tonality in the real world. That takes time and practice. A book won't help you with those; you just need to get out and shoot in manual.

:agree: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks - YES I need to start up again with the classes but with Xmas & now new year's and people & even myself being off of work with Lots going on - After the new year things should calm down a lot..

I know -I have tried it before and it worked and i have tried it and it was BAD... It is Very intimidating to me.. I need ot get out and practice -

I will read up on those other things - Maybe that is what is holding me back MOSTLY - and with that Shutter speed, AV and all the rest would be learned in the class.. MLK - I will learn it ..

Thanks..

12 years 3 months ago #184923 by LovePhotography

backh0me652 wrote: I wouldn't get over whelmed with manual mode. If you are not ready to use it, don't. Having a DSLR doesn't mean shoot manual. Start with one of the other modes shutter/aperture mode. Heck you can shoot all of your photos using either one of those two modes. Don't rush into manual mode, just because a friend says you should be shooting manual. Choose to shoot manual when you are ready too.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :agree:

I understand what you are saying - I have ONLY been really going out and doing it for about 4 months - I mean REALLY doing it - I have been taking pictures for over 30 years - I was always the one with the camera in hand - Never really in any but always was the one taking them - Now I have been going out a little here and there but NOT to what I am doing now - If I want to improve (it is Not just my Friend) I need to start to shoot in Manual Mode instead of Auto - Auto is My Friend but if I think and use it too much I will Never really learn anything - I want to get BETTER.. & I believe that I have but I want to get even better then where I am.. I know that Photograpy (well to me) is all up to person taking the pictures - If they like them Great if others do too - even better but I am really doing it for myself - I want to some day do it for a living and I am not going to get any better with trying & doing new things.

My friend is looking out for me and has told me a few things that I am doing wrong - And how to improve on it but to improve i need to shoot in Manual mode -

I will Not rush it but if I don't start it then I NEVER Will... Thanks again..

12 years 3 months ago #184938 by Gary Trent photography
If you own a DSLR ..... never, EVER shoot in auto! ...... :nunu:

Why did you buy such a camera when you could have bought
an inexpensive point-and-shoot?

Manual shooting is total control over your camera and the image before you.

Setting the aperture and shutter speeds is what photo'y is all about.
Your camera settings are your "personal" touch.

Two things:
1) go to web-sites that instruct manual-shooting.
2) bracket a shot and see what image you like best.

As with the photo you take and the attitude towards it,
my rule is KISS

:cheers:

GaryTrent photography (Canada)

Owner of
Art Effects Gallery,
Grand Forks, B.C. Canada

Please visit me on Multiply:
whazit2u.multiply.com/

12 years 3 months ago #184946 by MajorMagee
It's really pretty easy once you start thinking in 4D space. It's just a matter of moving around to the point that you want by changing any or all of the parameters.

1- Meter Reading = Available Light (both natural and flash) You Have To Work With (effects color and contrast)

2- Aperture = Volume Of Light Per Unit Of Time Being Allowed To Pass Through Lens To Sensor (Influences Depth Of Field and Diffraction)

3 - Shutter Speed = Time of Exposure (freezes or blurs motion)

4 - ISO = Ability Of The Sensor To Detect A Quantity Of Light Per Unit Of Time (less light required versus more noise)

Generally it works out that::
You have limited control over #1 so that sets the boundaries for the other parameters.
You have something in mind for the shot (sharpness, bokeh, etc.) that will cause you to choose a particular Aperture for #2.
Your composition wants a particular level of brightness leading to then choosing the #3 and #4 values based on getting enough light to capture the image the way you want.

Each parameter has a unique effect on the character of the shot, and each interacts with the others based on how they regulate the amount of light being imaged. You end up choosing the characteristics that you want for the shot, and then adjusting the others to balance out the light requirements.

There will be times when you can't achieve all the characteristics you want in the same shot, and that's when your photography skill will be called upon to prioritize your choices within the limits of what you have to work with.

12 years 3 months ago #184981 by icepics
Marcie, once you get going with Matthew's class, the manual settings will probably make a lot more sense. And like Henry mentioned above, like a lot of things it takes time to learn and gets easier once you get the hang of it.

Gary mentioned 'bracketing' - that's basically what you'll be doing in one of Matthew's first lessons, which explains a lot of what Major M mentioned. I've used bracketing when shooting B&W film when I want to get negatives of the same subject that are slightly lighter/darker to work with in the darkroom. Basically when you bracket a shot, you take a photo with whatever readings the meter indicates, then change it one setting each way and take the same shot at each setting. Once you learn how changing the different settings affects your photos I think you'll get better at using manual settings.

And by the way, Matthew's site was down but is back up, but you might need to check with him about logging in etc. I haven't done anything with it lately and won't get back to it til after New Year's either!

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #184991 by icepics
Marcie if you used to take pictures when you were younger, I was wondering what kind of camera you used or learned on. I started out with film SLR all mechanical cameras which is still what I use. I just found with older cameras that you can take the back off (with no film in it) and actually see what it does when you change the aperture or shutter speed, which might help in understanding how a camera works.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #185100 by MajorMagee

The following user(s) said Thank You: JGMendez
12 years 3 months ago #185197 by LovePhotography

Gary Trent photography wrote: If you own a DSLR ..... never, EVER shoot in auto! ...... :nunu:

Why did you buy such a camera when you could have bought
an inexpensive point-and-shoot?

Manual shooting is total control over your camera and the image before you.

Setting the aperture and shutter speeds is what photo'y is all about.
Your camera settings are your "personal" touch.

Two things:
1) go to web-sites that instruct manual-shooting.
2) bracket a shot and see what image you like best.

As with the photo you take and the attitude towards it,
my rule is KISS

:cheers:

:goodpost:

Yes I have TWO DSLR camera's and YES with both I shoot in Auto - I have tried other setting but Don't really know who to work them -

I know that Manual is you are in control but if you have no clue what you are doing it makes it very hard to understand.

I get it but I have no clue what works with what - If I want to shoot a bird - I need to know what the best setting is and right now i have no clue - that is why I use Auto - and some of it works & some of it doesn't...

Good Advice - Thanks..

12 years 3 months ago #185199 by LovePhotography

MajorMagee wrote: It's really pretty easy once you start thinking in 4D space. It's just a matter of moving around to the point that you want by changing any or all of the parameters.

1- Meter Reading = Available Light (both natural and flash) You Have To Work With (effects color and contrast)

2- Aperture = Volume Of Light Per Unit Of Time Being Allowed To Pass Through Lens To Sensor (Influences Depth Of Field and Diffraction)

3 - Shutter Speed = Time of Exposure (freezes or blurs motion)

4 - ISO = Ability Of The Sensor To Detect A Quantity Of Light Per Unit Of Time (less light required versus more noise)

Generally it works out that::
You have limited control over #1 so that sets the boundaries for the other parameters.
You have something in mind for the shot (sharpness, bokeh, etc.) that will cause you to choose a particular Aperture for #2.
Your composition wants a particular level of brightness leading to then choosing the #3 and #4 values based on getting enough light to capture the image the way you want.

Each parameter has a unique effect on the character of the shot, and each interacts with the others based on how they regulate the amount of light being imaged. You end up choosing the characteristics that you want for the shot, and then adjusting the others to balance out the light requirements.

There will be times when you can't achieve all the characteristics you want in the same shot, and that's when your photography skill will be called upon to prioritize your choices within the limits of what you have to work with.

:goodpost: :judge: :agree: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

THANKS - Great - I have printed this out to use it... THANKS Again - I am going to re-read it to really take it in.. :thumbsup:

12 years 3 months ago #185202 by LovePhotography

icepics wrote: Marcie, once you get going with Matthew's class, the manual settings will probably make a lot more sense. And like Henry mentioned above, like a lot of things it takes time to learn and gets easier once you get the hang of it.

Gary mentioned 'bracketing' - that's basically what you'll be doing in one of Matthew's first lessons, which explains a lot of what Major M mentioned. I've used bracketing when shooting B&W film when I want to get negatives of the same subject that are slightly lighter/darker to work with in the darkroom. Basically when you bracket a shot, you take a photo with whatever readings the meter indicates, then change it one setting each way and take the same shot at each setting. Once you learn how changing the different settings affects your photos I think you'll get better at using manual settings.

And by the way, Matthew's site was down but is back up, but you might need to check with him about logging in etc. I haven't done anything with it lately and won't get back to it til after New Year's either!

:judge: :agree:

I have to get going with it again - I have been busy that is why I was going to wait to sign up for it - With the holiday's and stuff - too much time to read & learn a lesson - I just went out to shoot..

I was just wondering if it was written down some place - Like as I said above if I go to shoot a bird - and am in manual - what AV, Shutter Speed, etc to be in - and then you have to change all of that to shoot a tree or something -

Don't get me wrong I want to learn it as I have been told by SEVERAL people that is the best to shoot in - I have tried it before for Matthew's first class & then when I went for a walk with a friend of mine but the Pictures were SO bad - Could not use - Light in spots - Just not good... And that is my issues - I don't know what works for what I am shooting - That is why I go to Auto - The camera sets itself which I know is bad...

12 years 3 months ago #185204 by LovePhotography

icepics wrote: Marcie if you used to take pictures when you were younger, I was wondering what kind of camera you used or learned on. I started out with film SLR all mechanical cameras which is still what I use. I just found with older cameras that you can take the back off (with no film in it) and actually see what it does when you change the aperture or shutter speed, which might help in understanding how a camera works.

:thumbsup: :judge: :judge: :judge:

I used to use my parents camera that had a bulb on top of it - And then when I was I believe 10 I got my first Polaroid that I LOVED and then after that I got several film camera's but NEVER an SLR camera - I still have of my Film Camera's - A friend gave me her SLR camera and I have used it but not that much - I am not sure where to go and film done - as with the second class you have to use ( I think) special film - Which I got - I just have to do it BUT as Matthew told me don't move on until you UNDERSTAND the first class - and I have to say now I don't get it...

Like I said I am just really getting into it - Have really REALLY only been going out for about 4 months now - Where really trying to get a good pictures - where before I would go out an shoot but now I am REALLY Working on it.. If that makes sense

12 years 3 months ago #185205 by LovePhotography

MajorMagee wrote: Keep having fun, and don't let the Manual Modeans get to you.

:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

Thanks - I will TRY - I do REALLY Enjoy it and I do get Very excited and I have to calm down I think - but THANKS.. :thumbsup:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024