When are you using your 50mm lens?

11 years 10 months ago #234776 by Ben Howen
I've spoken to many photographers and it seems the 50mm although owned by most is considered a novelty lens (so some call it). I'm interested to know how often are you using your 50mm, what are the reasons you use yours?

Is it because you haven't used it in a while so decide "what the heck, might as well get some use out of it". Or do you have a more technical reason for the need of the 50mm focal length?

Canon T3i, 18-55mm IS, 50mm, 55-250mm
11 years 10 months ago #234786 by Dori
I have a partial sensor camera, my 35mm is almost the same focal length as a 50 mm. I use it for shallow DOF shots or family shots.

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

11 years 10 months ago #234848 by Michelle Johnson
I wouldn't call it a novelty lens, at least in my experience! I personally love the 50mm lens, I've done most of my work with it. I find that it is a great focal length for the type of photography I do, mostly nature and everyday shots of my family. The wide aperture makes it great for creative shots which is why I tend to like it so much!

If you have it, take it seriously. It's a wonderful lens that's perfect for so many different situations.

11 years 10 months ago #234937 by JoAnne Muzila
I use it for portraits and as a good everyday lens

11 years 10 months ago #234946 by Darrell
I use it for portraits in my outdoor studio. It's my best lens to get shallow dof and a great shot...

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
11 years 10 months ago #234952 by gadam777
This focal length creates the most similar effect as your eye does. The pictures taken with a 50mm focal length lens makes an impression as you would "expect" a certain scene to look like. Compare it with the fish-eye-feeling for instance. Additionally the fixed focal lenght lenses provide usually huge apperture openings, making the DOF game possible, as it was mentioned before. (and I personally like the sharpness and absence of the chromatic abberation on my lens)

Adam
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #235250 by Henry Peach
I look at a scene with my eyeballs. Then I lift the camera with a 50mm lens to my eye and look at the same scene. When I look through a 50mm lens on a 35mm camera it does not look much like what I see with my normal vision. Some aspects are similar. Many are not. The field of view gets even tighter on an APS-C format camera. Try a 50mm on a 4x5 camera; it's bordering on fisheye.

50mm lenses are ubiquitous because it provides a field of view on 35mm format that's between wide and tight, and it's particularly easy and cheap to make high image quality lenses at this focal length. In the past zoom lenses weren't much of an option because of quality and cost. 50mm was a good all around lens choice, and it was fairly inexpensive. So it became the default kit lens before zooms. Every manufacturer has an inexpensive 50mm lens in their lineup.

Now we have quality zooms, and they are cheap to make, so they have become the default. The problem is that fast zooms are still expensive, and even the common 50mm is a stop plus faster than the fanciest zooms. It doesn't take up much room in the bag, it's cheap, so why not?

I use mine when I need more speed than f/2.8 or want to carry a smaller camera. That's fairly often for me, so I get a lot of use out of my 50mm. If I was using APS-C I'd want 28mm or 35mm instead. I prefer the 85mm for portraits on APS-C and 35mm format.

Starting with a longer than normal lens (50mm on APS-C, 85mm on 35mm) might be a pretty good idea for beginners. They are often told to "get closer."
11 years 10 months ago #235554 by Joves
I use mine when I feel what I am shooting requires it. Same as with any other lens I have. Proper tools for the job as always.

11 years 10 months ago #235568 by Camera Diva
Mainly with portraits

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! - Terry Pratchett
Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #235635 by gadam777
It is true, I did not specify the format of the camera. I took it natural, that everyone uses APS-C, so the focal length changes to approx 80mm with a 50mm lens. If I disregard the crop, then I get almost the same magnification. That's what I meant. I don't know the equivalent focal length on a 4x5 camera, but it needs to transform the lens to a wide-angle lens.

Adam
11 years 10 months ago #235645 by Henry Peach

gadam777 wrote: It is true, I did not specify the format of the camera. I took it natural, that everyone uses APS-C, so the focal length changes to approx 80mm with a 50mm lens.

So human vision is like an 80mm lens? ;)

A normal lens is one where the focal length approximately equals the distance measured from corner to corner diagonally across the sensor or film or plate. It is often described as one that has a field of view that seems natural to human viewers. A normal lens (50mm on 35, 30mm on APS-C) has a field of view of approximately 40 degrees horizontally. Human vision has a field of view of 120 (conservative estimate) degrees horizontally.

In the past the majority of photographers were shooting with lenses that were normal for the format, and people may have gotten used to thinking that a 40 degree field of view is normal for photographs, but the way human vision works I think human vision is more like a zoom lens. Even though the eye remains the same, our mind can completely ignore what's in the periphery of our vision, and sort of zoom in on the parts that we are concentrating on. 40 degree would be the center 1/3rd of our field of view, and that may well be a decent estimate as to what many of us are commonly concentrating on, but it's obvious that we can go wider and tighter as well. Looking into someone's eyes we zoom in tight (portraits). Surveying a scene we go wider (landscapes, street). In the age of zoom lenses I think we are re-training ourselves as to what we perceive as normal. Once upon a time 28mm on a 35mm camera was considered extremely wide. These days it's just wide. I think today most folks would perceive photos taken with 35mm (maybe even wider) to 70mm (on 35mm format) quite normal looking. It just depends on the subject, and how we are used to viewing those subjects with our vision.
11 years 10 months ago #235712 by gadam777

Henry Peach wrote:

gadam777 wrote: It is true, I did not specify the format of the camera. I took it natural, that everyone uses APS-C, so the focal length changes to approx 80mm with a 50mm lens.

So human vision is like an 80mm lens? ;)

Exactly! :) The different focal length modifies the perception of the distant objects. And of course the field of view changes, but the magnification of the objects feels more natural with 80mm (on 35mm format). Take a look on my demo picture, where I used different focal length lenses. Watch the ratio change of my nose and ears. All pictures are taken with APS-C, so to compare the results with 35mm, you need to apply the correction factor.

Adam
Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024