How can I meter a person in portrait when the sun is towards their back?

11 years 7 months ago #250334 by Number 7
I have problems with getting a correct exposure when doing shots when the person has the sun behind them. They always come out under exposed. How can get a proper exposure in this example?

Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #250359 by KCook
Switch to spot meter, get the reading for the figure, AE lock, then "recompose". This will block the bright background from overwhelming the meter reading. Of course the spot meter result will also blow out the background, you can't have everything! Links to a few articles that may help -

www.photographytalk.com/photography-arti...-lighting-situations

www.picturecorrect.com/tips/camera-setti...ortrait-photography/

neilvn.com/tangents/2011/06/01/exposure-...se-for-your-subject/

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 7 months ago #250363 by McBeth Photography
you'll need to use a reflector or add flash to bring up the shadows on the face, then meter the face with the spot meter after the reflector is in place. With the nikon i-ttl you can set your ambient exposure in manual and then turn on the flash, spot-meter the face and fire...the flash will bring the face up to exposure.

It is what it is.
11 years 7 months ago #250365 by icepics
If you're shooting facing into the sun you're bringing a lot of light into your camera and the light's hitting the back of your subject, so it makes it hard to meter or see what you're doing (like being outside squinting into the sun).

I learned early on to have the sun behind me and the light hitting the subject or scene.

Doing backlit subjects seems to be somewhat popular but facing into the sun just with existing light is probably not going to be your best option.

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #250369 by John Landolfi
You can also experiment with some positive exposure compensation, to get better exposure on the face, without completely blowing out the background, and then give more exposure to the face in PP.

Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #250549 by Joves

McBeth Photography wrote: you'll need to use a reflector or add flash to bring up the shadows on the face, then meter the face with the spot meter after the reflector is in place. With the nikon i-ttl you can set your ambient exposure in manual and then turn on the flash, spot-meter the face and fire...the flash will bring the face up to exposure.

:agree:
This is the right answer. You need to light the subject well enough so the you get proper exposure of they and the background. Reflectors give you nice even lighting if you are not comfortable with flashes.

11 years 7 months ago #250567 by Henry Peach
There are many ways to get correct exposures in this sort of situation:

Set exposure manually. Remember that the bright background is fooling the meter, so add a few stops.

Dial in some positive exposure compensation.

Switch to spot meter and only meter your subject.

Meter something that's in similar light (not the background light) as your subject, and use meter lock.

As has been mentioned, if you want to get a good exposure on both the foreground and background you are going to have to figure out a way to add light to the foreground.
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #250569 by Henry Peach

icepics wrote: I learned early on to have the sun behind me and the light hitting the subject or scene.

This doesn't always work well with people. If the sun is behind the photographer, and the people are looking at the camera, then they are looking towards the brightest part of the sky, and they get squinty.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024