Help with multigrade filters in the darkroom

13 years 6 months ago #2541 by e_r_b
Good day everyone!

Can help me out with this?

How do I know which filter to use for what kind of image for best effect? I realized that the less number, the softer the image, and the more number the harder the image, can someone exlplain this to me in lay man's term ? How would the images differ, what would be the effect to look out for in shades etc?

I've tried looking it up on the internet, but I can't seem to get it. Can anyone with experienve with darkroom stuff for years please explain to me about filters and how it would be depending on what filter is used.

Thanks alot, hope someone can help.

13 years 6 months ago #2542 by anthonybant1510
Basically, the more yellow you have the lower the contrast, and the more magenta you put in the higher the contrast.

A guide shows filtration needed from colour enlargers. To get the most out of them, you need to be able to assess negative's tonal range. Alternatively make a print, if the image looks flat (lots of greys but few black and white areas with no kick/lack in vibrancy) increase the magenta. If it looks like soot and whitewash, all black and white with no greys... try reducing magenta or try adding yellow.

13 years 6 months ago #2543 by ratesh123
In more ways than one, it is down to both personal choice:

1. Do you prefer a more contrast on your image? Or prefer more subtle tones?

There used to be an attachment for profisix (not 100% sure about this) meters which
allowed you to sample or try the bright to dark tones. Then I would recommend a grade
for you as a starting point.

2. The other way would be to do a test print.

TAKE NOTE: That very few B&W images are a straight print at any grade, you will have to try a lot of dodging and burning to get the final result.
:)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024