crop factor and lenses(canon camera)

13 years 6 months ago #2570 by hello_kittyshooter
Hi,
I'm starting out with photography (used to shoot with p&s). I have a couple of questions about crop factor & to know the amount of magnification a lens gives you consideing both lens and camera.

I just purchased my first D-SLR, a 450d w/kit lens, so far I'm happy with it! Some of the photos i taken seems soft, is it because of the kit lens?. I have toggled the camera to get a sharper image on different shooting modes, and it improved some way.

Also I'm looking at getting the Sigma 100-300 F4.0 EX DG IF lens (for wildlife and outdoor shooting), I have read that there is 1X Optical Zoom for every 50mm of focal length on the lens. If that's the case the lens maxes out at 300mm, does that mean you have multiply it to 6 to get the equivalent optical zoom? With the 1.6X crop factor my camera and Sigma 100-300 lens, you get 160-480mm = 9.6X Optical zoom?

Third, When looking threw the eye view finder, are you seeing the 1.6X crop factor.. it doesn't seem like you would!? If so, is the view finder magnified in some way?

Thanks, Phil B.

13 years 6 months ago #2583 by ratesh123
Lets clear a few things here: A lens focal length is the same regardless of which camera you use it on, crop or full frame. The crop sensor is one where the sensor is smaller than the old standard 35mm film area was (a full frame digital being the same size is @ 24x36mm). The changes between crop and full frame sensors is that the angle of view from the lens, which makes the photos out of crop cameras look like a cropped in image compared to a photo from a full frame camera at the same focal length, so people talk about 'effective length' on crop frames compared to full frames.

For your Canon, your 100-300mm lens would give you a picture that would appear the same as a 160-480mm lens on a full frame camera.

As far as I can see reading up on optical zoom, it merely refers to the ratio of the particular lens you're using from its shortest to longest length. So take your 100-300mm lens, that is a 3x zoom, as is your kit 18-55 lens (assuming that's what you got kit wise!). For a compact it would depend on its minimum/maximum focal length what its optical zoom is, but of course many compacts go from optical through to digital zoom without you realising, at which point it's just cropping extraneous pixels at the edge to give you that 'close in' effect, that you could achieve just as well in software at the end.

You see 95% of what will appear in the photo looking through the viewfinder, so you see exactly what the end result would be. Sorry though, I have no idea how that bit works lol

13 years 6 months ago #2585 by Bman
Hi hellokitty_shooter,

You are correct with respect that the 1.6x crop factor means that a 100-300mm lens would in fact be 160-480mm on your camera.

The viewfinder will normally dispay a percentage of what the lensand or sensor is seeing, and this depends on the camera. I believe that the T1i is the equivilant of the Canon 500D here in the UK and this has a view finder coverage of 95%. Therefore you will only see 95% of what the lens/sensor will capture through the viewfinder.

Unfortunately I cannot answer your question aboutoptical zooms :(

13 years 6 months ago #2589 by hello_kittyshooter
Thanks for the reply guys,

I did, in fact, get the 18-55mm kit lens. I had read elsewhere (maybe somewhere in here phtographytalk.com) about dividing the lens length & getting the "zoom" factor.. 100 / 300 = 3X. As stated in my first post, I had just read someones explanation about how to come up w/the optical zoom. I know you can't think of it like you would binoculars.. 10X50 (10X optical X 55mm objective.)

All I know is compared to the Konica Minolta Dimage Z5 I'm upgrading from, the Canon is day & night! I just took some sunset shots this evening & the colors were dead on.. I never was happy with the Z5's colors & zoom! I guess you learn as you go.. speaking of learning, I picked up Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure (revised edition) & like it so far.

Again, Thank you guys.

13 years 6 months ago #2592 by reyvan21
Yes and no.

100mm-300mm lens has a X3 zoom - as ratesh123 says. However (based on a 35mm camera) a 50mm lens produces the closest image magnification to the naked eye, and is therefore a 1x optical zoom. Therefore at 300mm (6 x 50mm), your lens has a 6x optical zoom -for example. it is magnifying, what the naked eye would see six times. I hope that this is a bit clearer!

Regarding the crop factor, you will find plenty of people talking about the 'magnification effect' of a 1.5 or 1.6 crop. Actually, there isn't one. Like whatratesh said, your Field Of View decreases, but the magnification does not increase.

There is one hidden benefit though, which is that your pixel density is greater. The 15MP canon 50D for instance has an equivalent pixel density on a full frame camera of 24MP so you theoretically get more detail on a 15MP crop camera than a 15MP full frame camera. That is not the whole story, but it is worth noting.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024