How often should memory card be formatted?

3 years 7 months ago #499622 by Cory J
I don't understand why there is so much ambiguity with certain things online.  I have googled this question and I find some who say daily, while others say only when you need it.  Then there are those that say when you download images, format the card immediately after.  

So what frequency is best practice?  

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 7 months ago #499660 by effron
I format my cards following every download to computer, and copying to a portable hard drive....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

3 years 7 months ago #499662 by PhotoViking

effron wrote: I format my cards following every download to computer, and copying to a portable hard drive....

:agree: Same thing here!

Festina lente!
Photo Comments

3 years 7 months ago #499672 by Lavender Photo
Anytime something funky seems to be happening to my card. I try to format more often, but it often slips my mind and I get nervous about deleting images that are backed up in a few different places.

Photo Comments

3 years 7 months ago #499688 by Otto F
Same here, when ever I download images to my computer

Photo Comments

3 years 7 months ago #499705 by DacrimL
As previously stated above......

......always as soon as the images are downloaded to the computer and checked to see if they are all there.....then format card & replace in camera ready for the next photographic stint.

3 years 7 months ago #499742 by Peter Nunez
Every time after you download images.  

Photo Comments

3 years 7 months ago #499761 by cybersholt
It may also be worth saying that formatting it with the proper tool  ( From the SD Association ) vs the built in operating systems tools, can actually improve the card's performance in certain situations. Personally I'm not sure about how each specific camera handles reading / writing data but Arduino and the numbers are quite interesting.   

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments

3 years 7 months ago #499765 by Screamin Scott
I always use the format feature in the camera to format SD cards when needed.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

3 years 7 months ago #499776 by Kenta

Screamin Scott wrote: I always use the format feature in the camera to format SD cards when needed.

+1 same here

Photo Comments

3 years 7 months ago #499804 by Danny Carson
After each download for me

Photo Comments

3 years 7 months ago #499854 by Happy Snapper
+1 after each download  

Gripped Nikon D810 --- Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 --- Sigma 10-20mm f/4 --- Nikon 50mm f/1.4 --- SB600
Photo Comments

2 years 9 months ago #537721 by Maxzz
I would see no reason to format the card on a regular basis, simply erasing all images on the card is sufficient. Bear in mind that most flash based media have a limit on the number of writes and so formatting is going to help you reach that limit a little bit faster.The only upside to formatting, which is probably where this idea came from, is that it can be faster than file delete. That I might do if the card was full or close to it. However, if I'm transferring anything less than half the capacity of the card, I'd probably just erase the files afterwards.

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

Is the Fujifilm GFX 50S medium format camera the right choice for you? Find out in this quick review of its specs, build quality, video capabilities, and more.

May 18, 2020

In the Fujifilm X-T2 vs Fujifulm X-T3 battle, which one comes out on top? These cameras are evenly matched, yet have distinct advantages all their own.

May 05, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

There are plenty of items photographers need, including office equipment that improves your workflow, the functionality of your space, and makes you more comfortable.

May 26, 2020

What is a graduated ND filter? Do you know how to use a graduated ND filter? If not, check out this landscape photography tutorial!

May 21, 2020

My favorite drone is the DJI Mavic 2 Pro. But after spending the last few weeks playing with the Mavic Air 2, I've come to the conclusion that it's the best drone you can buy for less than $1,000.

May 21, 2020

There are more ways to carry camera gear than the strap that came with your camera. Give one of these beautiful, well-made, comfortable options a try.

May 20, 2020

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Offering your clients a high-quality photo album is a great idea. Offering them bespoke photo album add-ons is an even better option!

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

In this Snaptiles vs Mixtiles comparison, learn which photo tile is better from a build quality standpoint and ease of use.

May 19, 2020