How often should memory card be formatted?

7 years 6 months ago #499622 by Cory J
I don't understand why there is so much ambiguity with certain things online.  I have googled this question and I find some who say daily, while others say only when you need it.  Then there are those that say when you download images, format the card immediately after.  

So what frequency is best practice?  

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #499660 by effron
I format my cards following every download to computer, and copying to a portable hard drive....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #499662 by PhotoViking

effron wrote: I format my cards following every download to computer, and copying to a portable hard drive....

:agree: Same thing here!

Festina lente!
Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #499672 by Lavender Photo
Anytime something funky seems to be happening to my card. I try to format more often, but it often slips my mind and I get nervous about deleting images that are backed up in a few different places.

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #499688 by Otto F
Same here, when ever I download images to my computer

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #499705 by DacrimL
As previously stated above......

......always as soon as the images are downloaded to the computer and checked to see if they are all there.....then format card & replace in camera ready for the next photographic stint.

7 years 6 months ago #499742 by Peter Nunez
Every time after you download images.  

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #499761 by cybersholt
It may also be worth saying that formatting it with the proper tool  ( From the SD Association ) vs the built in operating systems tools, can actually improve the card's performance in certain situations. Personally I'm not sure about how each specific camera handles reading / writing data but Arduino and the numbers are quite interesting.   

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #499765 by Screamin Scott
I always use the format feature in the camera to format SD cards when needed.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #499776 by Kenta

Screamin Scott wrote: I always use the format feature in the camera to format SD cards when needed.

+1 same here

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #499804 by Danny Carson
After each download for me

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #499854 by Happy Snapper
+1 after each download  

Gripped Nikon D810 --- Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 --- Sigma 10-20mm f/4 --- Nikon 50mm f/1.4 --- SB600
Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #537721 by Maxzz
I would see no reason to format the card on a regular basis, simply erasing all images on the card is sufficient. Bear in mind that most flash based media have a limit on the number of writes and so formatting is going to help you reach that limit a little bit faster.The only upside to formatting, which is probably where this idea came from, is that it can be faster than file delete. That I might do if the card was full or close to it. However, if I'm transferring anything less than half the capacity of the card, I'd probably just erase the files afterwards.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024