How do you know when to change ISO in your camera?

7 years 4 months ago #506713 by TGonzo
So I know you have 3 parts that impact exposure.  But when will you move ISO vs shutter speed or aperture?  I'm not exactly a newbie, however this question I've wondered for some time.  

I appreciate you helping me understand this.  

Photo Comments
7 years 4 months ago #506720 by KCook
I try to avoid extremely high ISOs. Otherwise, I adjust it only when I cannot get the aperture or shutter speed right. ISO is about the last thing on my mind.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

7 years 4 months ago #506735 by TGonzo
What about using your camera's lowest ISO?

Photo Comments
7 years 4 months ago #506746 by Hassner
Like Kelly.
I always shoot at the lowest ISO possible.
When I can not get enough depth of field and the shutter speed is already maximum, and visa versa, then up goes the ISO.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
7 years 4 months ago #506760 by KCook

TGonzo wrote: What about using your camera's lowest ISO?

I don't bother with that "rule".  So long as the ISO is somewhere under 800 I'm Ok with it.  And that is for good light.  In weak light I just let it soar.  Did I mention that I rarely use a tripod?  Bringing a tripod into the picture usually allows for rock bottom ISO.

quickdraw

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

7 years 4 months ago #506848 by icepics
Depends on some variables, which is why it takes a lot of practice and learning to get good at photography. I depend on the meter to tell me if I'm getting too much or not enough light, or just the right amount.

I shoot film too, so my starting point with my digital camera is 100/200 outdoors/sun, and 400 indoors/lower light (similar to the film speed I'd use). I'm increasing the light sensitivity raising the ISO setting in lower light conditions. I go to maybe 800 or 1000 ISO, or higher if it's really low light, but a camera is recording light so I think you can only push it so far (without doing a long exposure).

I usually start at a midrange setting like f8 so I can fairly quickly open or close the lens a stop or two. I usually keep the shutter speed at least at 1/125 or maybe 1/60, whatever the sync speed is for the camera.

Sharon
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Emma-Simmons
7 years 4 months ago #507395 by TGonzo
Ok, that makes since.  Thank you.  

BTW what ISO you shooting in directly sun?

Photo Comments
7 years 4 months ago #507450 by Dave Burburry
When I don't want to change the shutter speed and aperture 

Photo Comments
7 years 4 months ago #507577 by Joves
:agree:
Yeah that is pretty much how it works for me. I will go as high as I need to maintain my shutter speed especially when shooting action shots handheld. In really good light the problem with noise is not as bad. So if you are wanting to maintain that fast shutter speed, and cannot get it by adjusting the aperture, you up the ISO. If you want to retain a certain depth of field, and cannot use your f-stop, bring up the ISO. Got to love digital that now you can do that with a push of the button, and have something for lower light that is usable. Back in the film days all you could do was hyper/cook your film.

7 years 4 months ago #507591 by Shadowfixer1
Always shoot the lowest ISO. You only up it when you either need more shutter speed to stop action/movement or you need more light for more DOF and you don't have a tripod which relates directly back to movement. The base ISO of your camera will always have the most dynamic range and color fidelity. 
7 years 4 months ago #507685 by tobythephotoguy

Dave Burburry wrote: When I don't want to change the shutter speed and aperture 

There you go, simple as that.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Emma-Simmons
7 years 4 months ago #507689 by rogdel
The lower you can keep the ISO, the better. That being said, if you can't get a proper exposure, raise that ISO up.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024