What accessories do I need for Sony A7R III and getting started in photography?

10 months 2 weeks ago #656855 by Jon East
As I just shared in my intro here:  https://www.photographytalk.com/forum/new-to-photographytalk-forum/285240-golfer-to-photographer-saying-hello-to-pt#656854

I'm 2 months into photography, and trying to get a new hobby established.  Literally all I have is this Sony A7r III and 50mm lens I picked up 2 months ago.  I'm trying to get my mind off having to exit golf, so could use some advice on what I need to get started with photography.  What are some general items that would be a good idea to have while I'm starting out?  I enjoy photographing landscapes and but again, I've only been at this for 2 months, so as I start spending more time, I'm sure there will be other things I enjoy.  

Thanks

Jon

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 months 2 weeks ago - 10 months 2 weeks ago #656905 by Troponin
With any camera purchase, the first thing I purchase is a glass screen protector. 

Do you need a flash?

Another consideration is a solid tripod, if you don’t already have one. This is vital for landscape. 

A last consideration would be a shutter remote.  This could be potentially bypassed by simply using the three or 10 second timer, if you’re objective is reducing shake.

Other than that, I’m  not sure of too many other accessories that greatly improve your photography or gear. 

Photo Comments

10 months 2 weeks ago #656906 by Phyllis Miller
1. Tripod
2. Polarized filter
3. ND filters
4. Lens cleaning kit
5. Spare battery 
6. Spare memory card

Good luck!

10 months 2 weeks ago #656952 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Jon

There are so many variables here the suggestions we make back to you could go on forever :)

Also, a lot comes back to your vision of the world around you .... do you see 'telescopically' into the distance? or from edge-to-edge to take it all in at the same time? This will start to determine whether your next lens will be something like a 70 to 300 zoom versus an 16 to 85 zoom

Of course - if you have deep pockets you might get both !!

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

10 months 1 week ago #657137 by Alvin Pignotti
Have you picked up any post processing software?

Lightroom, Luminar or Photoshop

10 months 1 week ago #657145 by garyrhook

Alvin Pignotti wrote: Have you picked up any post processing software?

Lightroom, Luminar or Photoshop

You forgot Affinity, Paint Shot Pro, On1RAW, or Capture1.

Photo Comments

9 months 2 weeks ago #660330 by Blistered_Feet
A little late to the party but these are what I use:water/weather-proof case for memory cards
lens hood to avoid unwanted flare
camera strap for rough terrain
camera bag for camera and lenses

*I prefer wildlife photography, so this has been helpful on hikes. I also keep bags to protect the equipment in case of foul weather. Typically one for the camera, one per lens, and one to temporarily put the whole bag in. Mind you, my bag is small and usually only carries 2 lenses, two filters, a wide-angle lens, and SD cards w/case.

9 months 1 week ago #661264 by Ian Stone
:agree: +1 on extra memory cards, batteries, and micro fiber cloths 

Photo Comments

9 months 14 hours ago #662342 by Jon East
Just wanted to say thank you all.  This was very helpful.  

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Nikon D500 vs Nikon D7500 matchup, we explore the features and specs, pros and cons, and prices of these older, but highly capable DSLRs.

Jun 22, 2020

Check out this Sony a7R IV review to learn all about this incredible camera's specs, features, image quality, price, and more.

Jun 15, 2020

The Panasonic Lumix S1 might be a few years old, but its features and specs (and its used price today) make it worth a long, hard look.

Jun 08, 2020

In this Olympus OM-D E-M1 II review, learn about the camera's specs and features, pros and cons, price, and much more.

Jun 02, 2020

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

In this 2020 star tracker buying guide, learn about the specs and features of some of the best star trackers currently on the market.

Jul 14, 2020

Travel photography gear comes in all shapes and sizes, but what are the best items to pick up? Check this list for our top picks!

Jul 10, 2020

A camera belt is the ideal camera strap alternative because it puts the weight of your gear on your hips. It's a more comfortable way to carry your camera gear!

Jul 10, 2020

The best camera bags of 2020 include big backpacks, small sling bags, and many variations in between. Which of these top camera bags is for you? Find out!

Jul 09, 2020

The best stock photo sites pay well for your images, are easy to sign up, and offer tools and solutions to help you streamline your stock photography business. These sites are among the best.

Jul 09, 2020

If you're looking for unique canvas prints, look no further than metallic canvas! These prints are beautiful, iridescent, and have superior, eye-catching color.

Jul 09, 2020

Canon unveiled the Canon EOS R5 and EOS R6 this morning. Both cameras look to be game-changers for Canon, and both will ship soon!

Jul 09, 2020

Not sure how to increase your photography income? Use these business tips to make more money as a photographer!

Jul 08, 2020