Confused regarding flash Guide Numbers

4 weeks 1 day ago #673093 by Liem Stailey
Good morning guys.  I'm shopping for an external flash and these guide numbers have me running around in circles.  When a flash has a guide  number of XXX, what in the world does this number mean?  Im a beginner and at least for me, this seems complicated.  LOL I just wanted  a flash to use while practicing my portraits.

When you are shopping around for a flash. Can I ask what are you looking at aside from price point?

You all are awesome, thank you in advance!

P.S.  if this basic question, just something I don't  understand!!

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 weeks 1 day ago #673099 by Shadowfixer1
Guide number relates to output. The larger the guide number the more power it has which means you will get more distance to the subject to work with. The more power also means you can shoot it at a lower power when closer to the subject which gives you more control.

4 weeks 1 day ago #673107 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Liem

"yes" the GN as quoted relates to the power of the flash and it is made up from a simple calc of "Aperture x Distance" at a specific ISO, with 100-ISO being the industry standard

So for a GN of 80 say, it suggests that F8 will expose correctly at 10Ft if the GN is quoted as GN-80 (ft). It may also be quoted as GN-24(metres) as F8 x 3metres is the same as F8 x 10Ft

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 weeks 23 hours ago #673124 by Liem Stailey
OK, thank you both.  I'm better now and have a clearer idea about guide numbers.  Thank you!

Photo Comments

4 weeks 10 hours ago #673168 by fmw
Back in the day, flashguns weren't adjustable.  Their power output was full power.  The guide number was used to calculate the correct aperture based on subject distance.  Today, flashguns are adjustable by changing the flash duration so the unit can expose the subject properly itself based on the aperture you choose and the distance.  What that means is that you don't need to worry about what the guide number of the flash unit is at full power.  You can buy the most powerful one you can afford and it will still work like a smaller flash unit when required.  If you your camera has TTL (through the lens) flash be sure to choose a flashgun that is compatible with your camera's TTL system

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In a Sony a9 vs Sony a9 II comparison, you might think the a9 II would be the clear winner. Not so fast! The older a9 has a distinct advantage - a much better price.

Feb 12, 2020

There are tons of options in terms of a camera on a budget. But with so many choices, it's hard to know what the ultimate deals are. Here are three top choices for budget-friendly DSLRs.

Feb 12, 2020

Sure, the Canon 5D Mark III is eight years old, but as you'll see in this Canon 5D Mark III review, it still has a lot to offer photographers today.

Feb 11, 2020

The Nikon D5600 is a few years old now, but it's still a very capable camera for beginner and enthusiast photographers. Learn about this camera's features in our Nikon D5600 review.

Feb 10, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Do you have your first photo shoot coming up soon? Get ready for it with these first-time photo shoot tips!

Feb 13, 2020

B-roll is an essential part of creating the story you tell in your videos. The question is, what's the best lens for B-roll - a 50mm or 85mm? Find out in this head-to-head comparison.

Feb 13, 2020

With these simple travel photography hacks, you'll learn how to plan, prepare, and execute a more successful photography adventure...and possibly make money while doing it!

Feb 13, 2020

It's official! Canon made their Canon EOS R5 announcement yesterday, confirming many rumored features, including IBIS and 8K video.

Feb 13, 2020

Getting started in commercial real estate photography requires a lot of work and many different steps. Get the process going with these introductory real estate photography tips.

Feb 13, 2020

Station squabble by Sam Rowley, UK Sam discovered the best way to photograph the mice inhabiting London's Underground was to lie on the platform and wait....

Feb 13, 2020

In a Sony a9 vs Sony a9 II comparison, you might think the a9 II would be the clear winner. Not so fast! The older a9 has a distinct advantage - a much better price.

Feb 12, 2020

There are tons of options in terms of a camera on a budget. But with so many choices, it's hard to know what the ultimate deals are. Here are three top choices for budget-friendly DSLRs.

Feb 12, 2020