Best lens for real estate photography

4 years 1 month ago #678637 by Noah J
For those of you that shoot real estate photography, can I ask what is the most common lens you use the most?

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: photogroupvn.com
4 years 1 month ago #678745 by Greg Friedman
Interiors?  Go as wide as you can, something between 10mm and 24mm.  That will allow you to get into those tight spaces and make it look big. 

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #678750 by Nikon Shooter
I don't think this is a proper approach.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #678784 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Noah

There is a heck of a lot more to R.E images than lens focal length
If you want to start with a lens - my 100% would be to get a lens with an angle of view of 80 to 90 deg. More than this you will see large amounts of distortion of furniture / walls / windows etc.

Overall you need to create spunky images with perfect verticals, excellent brightness & tonal range across the room being photographed, and at the same time balancing internal light levels with external light levels

I would also suggest that you spend time =before you spend money= with examining as many other photographer's results techniques and tricks, as you will need to equal their skills before you start to gain your own clients

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

The following user(s) said Thank You: KCook, Noah J, photogroupvn.com
4 years 1 month ago #678790 by Brisbane-Wedding-Photographer
As a Nikon shooter, I got myself the Nikon 14-24mm 2.8. It actually has less distortion than the 14mm prime. It's a gorgeous lens.

I find that I pretty much want to shoot every room as wide as possible, so I'm always at 14mm.

If you can get more interior design type work, then you can start being more creative with your photography. But for general real estate, they just want to "show the space".

The real learning curve for me was to start using a strobe and flash filling the rooms. This way you can balance the outside window views with the interiors and spend less time blending exposures.

Good luck.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah J, photogroupvn.com
4 years 1 month ago #678977 by fmw
I have never shot real estate professionally but my choice would be a wide angle perspective control lens.  The wider the better.  You can do some perspective control in software.  It isn't quite the same but it can serve if necessary.

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #679264 by Robert Chen
14-24mm will do you just fine

Nikon D300 24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 & 50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2 SB800

Photo Comments
9 months 1 week ago - 9 months 1 week ago #754309 by isabellasophie

Brisbane-Wedding-Photographer wrote: As a Nikon shooter, I got myself the Nikon 14-24mm 2.8. It actually has less distortion than the 14mm prime. It's a gorgeous lens.

I find that I pretty much want to shoot every room as wide as possible, so I'm always at 14mm.

If you can get more interior design type work, then you can start being more creative with your photography. But for general real estate, they just want to "show the space".

The real learning curve for me was to start using a strobe and flash filling the rooms Online Property Valuation Services
. This way you can balance the outside window views with the interiors and spend less time blending exposures.

Good luck.

When it comes to real estate photography, a wide-angle lens is typically preferred to capture the spaciousness and depth of a room. Here are a few lens options that are commonly recommended for real estate photography:

Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L III USM, Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED, Sigma 12-24mm f/4 DG HSM Art, Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2, Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G. It's important to note that lens selection may also depend on your camera system and personal preferences. Consider factors such as budget, image quality, distortion control, and the specific features that best suit your shooting style when choosing the right lens for your real estate photography needs.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah J
7 months 4 days ago #756413 by Noah J

Ozzie_Traveller wrote: G'day Noah

There is a heck of a lot more to R.E images than lens focal length
If you want to start with a lens - my 100% would be to get a lens with an angle of view of 80 to 90 deg. More than this you will see large amounts of distortion of furniture / walls / windows etc.

Overall you need to create spunky images with perfect verticals, excellent brightness & tonal range across the room being photographed, and at the same time balancing internal light levels with external light levels

I would also suggest that you spend time =before you spend money= with examining as many other photographer's results techniques and tricks, as you will need to equal their skills before you start to gain your own clients

Hope this helps

Just wanted to let you know, 3 years later and your advice had really helped me out. Thank you!!

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: cambug27046

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024