Canon hobby lens.

4 years 1 day ago #683834 by [email protected]
Hi I am new here and find myself at a crossroads with lenses. Sorry this is quite a long tale.
I own a Canon EOS300D camera(purchased new around 15 years ago) it has been very reliable, barring a few memory card issues.
18 months ago the EFS 18-55mm lens decided it was no longer going to zoom lower than 35mm, but otherwise still function.  So I purchased a used warrantied EFS 17-85 IS, I enjoyed using this lens because of the greater range and image stabilisation, its only downside was the weight of it.  Then it broke! apparently a common problem the ribbon fractures.
As  I was about to go on a 6 week holiday to Australia I needed to replace it.  after a bit of research I found that Tamron made an 18-200mmF/3.5-6.3 VC lens. This would mean I needed to only take one lens, less weight, no struggling to swap lenses when in the field. I did not discover straight away that this lens caused my camera to jam. I originally thought it was a camera problem but when I got home found it still performed correctly with the original canon lenses.
Should I shell out quite a lot of money and get the 17-85 repaired, or should I look at another lens?

4 years 1 day ago #683872 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day John

Firstly - WELCOME to the photography forum - you will find heaps of quite smart people here with heaps of expertise and knowledge

Your decision to get an all-in-one lens was a wise one for your travelling ~ many people around the world do the same thing - but as to the "jamming" this is a strange one and sounds most unusual for any lens - many here and other fora use this lens without any problems.

Hopefully a canon / tamron user here can assist further

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 16 hours ago #683944 by Pete Franko
I would go with the all in one option.  However you might want to look at Sigma, personally it's a brand I prefer.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024