Difference between 1.8, 1.2 and 2.8 on 50mm lenses

1 year 3 weeks ago #750562 by Opto Fox
I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong spot.  I'm new here, just signed up.  I have bought a used Nikon Z6.  It's only a body and I was told a good lens to start off with is a 50mm.  But when I search I see three different 50mm lenses.  Two of them have prices close to one another 1.8 which is $626  www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1431710-R...or_z_50mm_f_1_8.html    and 2.8 one is $646  www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1644172-R...or_z_micro_50mm.html

But then for the 1.2 one is super expensive at $2096  www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1594469-R...or_z_50mm_f_1_2.html

What is the difference between these?  Honestly budget wise the 1.8 or 2.8 are easier on the wallet.  But even those have prices close to each other  I'm confused.  

1 year 3 weeks ago #750564 by Opto Fox
I should add that this is my first camera.  

1 year 3 weeks ago #750577 by Kate Stailey
So, when we're talking about lenses, one of the most important things to consider is the aperture, which is essentially the size of the opening that lets light into the lens. The aperture is measured in f-stops, which are represented by numbers like 1.8, 1.2, and 2.8.

Now, the lower the f-stop number, the wider the aperture, which means more light can get in. This is important because it allows you to shoot in low light conditions without having to use a flash or crank up your ISO too high, which can result in noisy images.

So, let's start with the 1.8 aperture. This is a fairly wide aperture, which means it's great for shooting in low light. It also gives you a really nice shallow depth of field, which means that the subject you're focusing on will be sharp, but the background will be blurry. This can be a really nice effect for portrait photography, for example.

Moving on to the 1.2 aperture, this is an even wider aperture, which means even more light can get in. This makes it even better for shooting in low light, and it also gives you an even shallower depth of field than the 1.8 aperture. This can be really nice for really isolating your subject and making them stand out from the background.

Finally, we have the 2.8 aperture. This is a narrower aperture than the other two, which means less light can get in. This can make it a bit trickier to shoot in low light, but it can still be done with a slower shutter speed or higher ISO. The advantage of the 2.8 aperture is that it gives you a wider depth of field, which means more of the image will be in focus. This can be really nice for landscape photography, for example, where you want everything from the foreground to the background to be in focus.

So, that's the basic difference between 1.8, 1.2, and 2.8 on 50mm lenses. It really comes down to the amount of light you can let in and the depth of field you can achieve. Depending on what you're shooting and the conditions you're shooting in, each of these apertures can be really useful in its own way!

Photo Comments
1 year 3 weeks ago #750603 by Esseff
What Kate said is spot-on. In your case I'd go for the 1.8, simply because it's cheaper. Since you're just starting out there's no need to go and blow a ton of cash. 1.8 will give you a great bokeh, if that's what you're after. I highly recommend Simon d'Entremont's youtube channel , it's a great source of information, especially if you're just starting out.

Here are two video's of special interest to you:
Camera Basics
Understanding Aperture

1 year 3 weeks ago #750681 by Otto F
100%, go with the 1.8, it's going to be a great lens to get out there and get started with.  1.8 will offer you fast shutter speeds, and best of all, that lens is the most budget friendly.  

Photo Comments
1 year 4 days ago #751484 by Opto Fox
Thank you.  BTW, which is more used by photographers: 50mm or 35mm?  

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024