Good beginner camera 2024: Canon R10 vs Nikon Z fc?

4 months 2 weeks ago #759365 by Eric A
My wife has hinted about wanting to join the fun with photography.  And I have narrowed two possible choices down to Canon R10 or the Nikon Z fc.  I'm pretty sure she is going to do a lot of portrait photography (our kids) as that is what she likes to photograph with her phone.

Which would you say was the better camera?

My Camera Bag:

Canon 7D | 50mm f/1.2 | 17-40mm f/4 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 320EX | 580EXII

Photo Comments
4 months 2 weeks ago #759408 by Randy Fisher
You're a Canon shooter? I would stick with Canon so you both can use same lenses.  That will cut down on $$ you need to spend. 

4 months 2 weeks ago #759412 by Shadowfixer1

Eric A wrote: My wife has hinted about wanting to join the fun with photography.  And I have narrowed two possible choices down to Canon R10 or the Nikon Z fc.  I'm pretty sure she is going to do a lot of portrait photography (our kids) as that is what she likes to photograph with her phone.

Which would you say was the better camera?

You're really comparing two very different cameras. The Canon has a modern design and made to fit the hand ergonomically. The Nikon is a retro style camera which will not feel great ergonomically. Image quality is probably about equal. I prefer Nikon's color science but that is a personal choice. The Z50 would be more in line with the body of the R10. If it were me, I would stretch my budget a tiny bit and get a Nikon Z5 full frame camera. Pair that with a fast lens and you can get some nice subject separation. The majority of women shooters I have met usually prefer Canon but I know of several that shoot Nikon. Good luck with your decision. 
4 months 2 weeks ago #759446 by Chase Audate
You also might have her handle some of the cameras to see which feels better in her hands 

Photo Comments
3 months 3 weeks ago - 3 months 3 weeks ago #760209 by Kenta
I would go with the Canon.  I shoot with Nikon, but if I could go back, I would personally go with Canon. 

Photo Comments
3 months 3 weeks ago #760210 by Esseff

Randy Fisher wrote: You're a Canon shooter? I would stick with Canon so you both can use same lenses.  That will cut down on $$ you need to spend. 

OPs got EF mount... the R10 is RF mount. Not sure if they are interchangeable but I don't think they are.

3 months 3 weeks ago #760233 by Adam G

Esseff wrote:

Randy Fisher wrote: You're a Canon shooter? I would stick with Canon so you both can use same lenses.  That will cut down on $$ you need to spend. 

OPs got EF mount... the R10 is RF mount. Not sure if they are interchangeable but I don't think they are.

Not without adapter, then you can run old EF glass on the RF camera 

Photo Comments
3 months 3 weeks ago #760249 by agiledogs
these 2 cameras are really apples and oranges. the Zfc is design more as a retro looking camera and uses the top dials to set all aspect of the camera. they are arranged much like their classic film camera the fm3 if Ima not mistaken. 

The r10 is a mirrorless system design to essentially replaye the old rebel line and is a wonderful starter camera for aspiring canon shooters. With the ef to rf adaptor the older ef lenses can be used. Those familiar to the dslr days will see significant improvement in autofocus speed and tracking....slap on an rf lens to see an even more marked improvement.

The r10 is an apsc sized senor so in terms of nikon that would put it with the z50 and z30. The Canon R10 R8 and R7 are much better apsc builds thant the current Nikon line.

With NIkon I would examine the Z6ii which is Full Frame but as mentioned above by another comment give one richer color .

Most mportant though is to have your wife handle both cameras, go to a store and have her pick them up, adjust settings, and take some sample picks. Which ever camera feels better for her in her hands is the one to get.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024