How often should you be practicing photography?

3 months 6 days ago #763342 by Travis Brunson
I'm trying to get back into my photography and level up and I'm sure I might get answers all over the place with this question, I'm going to ask regardless.  For you to get where you are with your photography, how often were you practicing each week? 

3 months 5 days ago #763364 by Razky

Travis Brunson wrote: I'm trying to get back into my photography and level up and I'm sure I might get answers all over the place with this question, I'm going to ask regardless. For you to get where you are with your photography, how often were you practicing each week? 

Since I first got interested in photography I've been too busy with it to be concerned with such a question.

3 months 5 days ago #763392 by Esseff
I'll answer.

When I start taking photography more seriously I shot out almost daily. I made an effort to get out at every opportunity. Weekends were filled with hikes in nature, weekdays I'd take my camera with to work and take a different route home in the afternoon. I shot just about everything. And then I'd edit the photos too.

These days it's different... I know my gear, know what settings I need, my editing is better than in the past. I plan shots more effectively and shoot a lot less than before. How often should you practice? As often as you can until you reach your goal. Use every opportunity.

3 months 5 days ago #763398 by ShutterPal

Razky wrote:

Travis Brunson wrote: I'm trying to get back into my photography and level up and I'm sure I might get answers all over the place with this question, I'm going to ask regardless. For you to get where you are with your photography, how often were you practicing each week? 

Since I first got interested in photography I've been too busy with it to be concerned with such a question.

Why do you even bother to answer?  You bring no value only negative.  #removethetroll 

OP - I've been where you are, when I first started, I was hard core with my camera for 7 months.  Nearly every day for a couple hours per day.  Then life paid a visit to me and I stopped for nearly a year!  When I got back into the swing of things, I made it a point to burn out and practiced at least a few times per week, but always kept it fun with different themes and challenges.  

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Esseff
3 months 5 days ago #763400 by CaptNemo

Travis Brunson wrote: I'm trying to get back into my photography and level up and I'm sure I might get answers all over the place with this question, I'm going to ask regardless.  For you to get where you are with your photography, how often were you practicing each week? 

Back in the early days, easily 4 hours per week.   These days I struggle with just an hour of 'me' shooting each week.  But I make the most of it when I can get out.  

Photo Comments
3 months 5 days ago #763402 by db3348
As often as you can .

Don't put it off with a lame, pathetic, lazy excuse .

Photo Comments
3 months 5 days ago #763407 by Garbo

db3348 wrote: As often as you can .

Don't put it off with a lame, pathetic, lazy excuse .

OMG sounds so much like me when I first got started.  I always had an excuse and something else I needed to be doing at that time.  Sure glad I got my head out of my tail end!

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments
3 months 5 days ago #763412 by Foggy

Razky wrote:

IF you are so busy, why are you wasting time making yourself look like a tool by acting like a bonehead with all your answers on this board.  It's a forum for others to enjoy.  I've come across a few of your post and you bring a very bad attitude.  

Photo Comments
1 month 1 week ago #764872 by Harrison J
Agree frequency is key regardless where you are with it.  Getting out as much as you can will sharpen your skills and your creative eye for seeing 'the shot'.  Good luck!

Photo Comments
1 month 1 week ago #764892 by Scotty
Do it when you have the drive. I tried forcing my way back into a few times after taking a hiatus and it didn't go anywhere. Once I got the itch, I do it when it sounds good and i'm starting to remember things and get back to where I was.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
1 month 1 week ago #764897 by Hassner
Just like sport, the more time you spend on it, the better you get.
The time you will end spending on it, will depend on your level of passion.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

I’ve been testing the Vanguard VEO 5 264CB-160S for several weeks now, and I have to say that my first impressions are nothing but good. Vanguard has knocked it out of the park yet again!

Jul 01, 2024

The Fujifilm X-H2s is Fuji’s flagship hybrid APS-C mirrorless camera. It launched in the summer of 2022 and has been impressing photographers and videographers alike ever since!

Jun 17, 2024

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Night street photography is a fun pursuit with opportunities to develop your skills with portraiture, light trails, and architectural photography skills - and your nighttime photography skills, too!

Jul 22, 2024

The Canon EOS R5 Mark II has been unveiled, but it has a hefty price tag. If it’s out of your budget, the original Canon EOS R5 is a fantastic option. Learn more about it in this guide!

Jul 18, 2024

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

You need to try unique newborn photography ideas from time to time to keep your inspiration levels up. With the ideas in this guide, you can do just that!

Jul 17, 2024

What is the best landscape lens for photography - a prime or a zoom? The answer is a little murky, as it depends on the specific situation. Learn more about these lenses in this detailed guide!

Jul 16, 2024

Lightning photography is a tricky beast, but with the right tips, tricks, and tools, you can make the most of the next storm that rolls through. Learn some essential techniques in this guide!

Jul 16, 2024

Concert photography is a tricky beast, and presents challenges like fast-moving action, low lighting, and considerations for other concertgoers. Learn how to get better results in this guide!

Jul 07, 2024

Black and white nature photography is a fun, yet challenging pursuit that allows you to focus viewers’ attention on the textures and patterns of nature. The result? A gorgeous stripped-down representation of nature.

Jul 07, 2024