What Are The Best Filters For A Beginner?

13 years 6 months ago #3347 by daisy1
What would be the best basic filter for a beginner to start out with?

13 years 6 months ago #3614 by Steven.Powell
UV Filter and Polarized filter and some neutral density filters will come in handy. Soft on the neutral density over hard if you have limited budget.

13 years 6 months ago #4020 by VirgilWB
UV and polarizer, certainly. Check your camera manual, though, on polarizers. Most newer autofocus cameras require circular polarizers, not linear. This does not have to do with the shape of the polarizer, it has to do with how the polarizer works. Linear ones will mess up the autofocus. In 30+ years of photography, I may have used neutral density (ND) filters once or twice, so unless you have a specific need for them, save the money and use it to buy better quality UV and polarizers.

13 years 6 months ago #4122 by The Original Daisy
When are you guys using a UV filter? I got sold one but never use it?

13 years 6 months ago #4126 by Yasko
It's best to use UV filters constantly on your lens. It's more for protection, but the reduction of UV haze in your outdoor shots is a nice addition. Better to scratch a $15 filter, than a $1000 lens ;)

13 years 6 months ago #4448 by jrjohns2
UV filters are a must, and like above stated, need to be on your lens almost constantly. Dont overspend here either, not much difference in UV filters but the camera store is going to try to sell you the most expensive. Theyre much better thought of, IMHO, as protection for your lens. On my favorite lens I have replaced the UV filter 4 times in the past year due to scratching and oil messing up the coating.

Filter #2 IMO should be a good polarizer. They come in handy quite often when its bright outside for both eliminating reflections and bringing blues out like youre using Velvia. Also, the tint on the polarizer can help you with controlling DOF when its bright out too.

Neutral density filters are nice, I dont use mine very much though and you can acheive simillar results in photoshop without needing to take it off and put it on your camera(if youre shooting digital of course). I would stay away from warming and cooling filters as well, for the main reason that you can adjust this in photoshop very easily.

If you want a really cool filter that you might use if you get sucked into it, get an IR filter. You'll need a tripod too if you plan on using it without modifying your camera sensor(which I would certainly not recommend doing) but the results are amazing.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024