shooting on overcast days.

13 years 1 month ago #35288 by knit4u
I can never get the correct exposure on overcast days. With the clouds, it just doesn't seem like enough light. Can anyone help me? I want to take better pictures, but I don't know how to achieve better pictures on cloudy days.

13 years 1 month ago #35290 by QueenB
overcast days are wonderful for lighting. Unfortunately the lights a bit on the cool side. So a warming filter works wonders for overcast or shade photos.

13 years 1 month ago #35292 by knit4u
wonderful for lighting? What lighting?

13 years 1 month ago #35294 by QueenB
It may be darker then the sun being out. However the sun is harsh mid day. The clouds block the sun, so you can shoot mid day if your choose too.

13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #35301 by chasrich
Light cloud cover is better than dark storm clouds. I think of the clouds as a dispersion device that gives a softer light than direct sunlight. On really sunny days I sometimes seek out shady spots to to shoot. There is an old photo tip that you put the sun at your back for things like portraits to avoid shadows on the subjects face. I sometimes take a backup shot using fill flash to help remove shadows when shooting into the sun.

I didn't know about the clouds making the light cooler. Thanks for that info QueenB.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
13 years 1 month ago #35318 by Yasko
I love an overcast sky. It's like a ginormous natural softbox. Knit4u, what's the specific problem you're having? Are your photos just coming out too dark, or are your pictures blurring from low shutterspeed?

13 years 1 month ago #35377 by Joves
I find generally light to medium overcast days to be fine for many things such as Macro shooting because it evens out the illumination. Heavy overcast days suck and are more akin to shooting near twilight or night. In that case I bump up my ISO and I have a Preset White Balance for it.

13 years 1 month ago #35853 by W3L8
I don't worry about overcast days, I just shoot on sunny days.

13 years 1 month ago #36882 by Patrick2504
A quick and easy way is to try and meter on mid tones. That is to say dont meter on the sky because the foreground will be too dark and dont meter on the dark parts of your image becasue the sky will be over exposed. Try and find a tone within your viewfinder that is somewhere inbetween. This is not always possible jhowever if all else fails take two images to meter for dark and light and combine them in photoshop or similar if you have it

Patrick

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024