New York Institute of Photography?

13 years 1 month ago #38012 by PMurphy
A couple months ago a member here PM'd me about New York Institute of Photography and their home study program. I was wondering if anyone else has gone though this school? How is the material and classes presented?

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #38042 by crystal
I took NYIP. I finished it in 5 months. Of course everyone completes it in different times.
If you pay in full, you can request all information be sent to you at once. Otherwise you can pay monthly payments and as you finish a unit, the next unit will be mailed to you.
You will receive books, and CDs/DVDs plus photography gifts, monopod, umbrella, reflector etc..
You work at your own pace. NYIP has a forum on their site and they have a facebook page. You can ask all the questions you have and other students have no problem helping.

I was able to complete mine in 5 months because at the time, I did not have a job. So I was able to read the lesson, take the online test and shoot the photos require for that lesson within a week. The first four units I already experianced, so it was a breeze. Unit 5 and 6, I never did before. Although the written test was not hard, to get the photos I needed to submit to my advisor was the time consuming part.

I am first and foremost self taught. I took the course to see what exactly I knew. As it turns out, I knew everything about the fields of photography I've already been shooting.
13 years 1 month ago #38043 by Silver Fox

Crystal wrote: I took NYIP. I finished it in 5 months. Of course everyone completes it in different times.
If you pay in full, you can request all information be sent to you at once. Otherwise you can pay monthly payments and as you finish a unit, the next unit will be mailed to you.
You will receive books, and CDs/DVDs plus photography gifts, monopod, umbrella, reflector etc..
You work at your own pace. NYIP has a forum on their site and they have a facebook page. You can ask all the questions you have and other students have no problem helping.

I was able to complete mine in 5 months because at the time, I did not have a job. So I was able to read the lesson, take the online test and shoot the photos require for that lesson within a week. The first four units I already experianced, so it was a breeze. Unit 5 and 6, I never did before. Although the written test was not hard, to get the photos I needed to submit to my advisor was the time consuming part.

I am first and foremost self taught. I took the course to see what exactly I knew. As it turns out, I knew everything about the fields of photography I've already been shooting.

My kid sister was looking to take this school, what did they charge for the complete course from start to finish?

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #38059 by crystal
If you pay monthly its $1198. If you pay in full it's $898
13 years 1 month ago #38081 by PMurphy
OH thank you! BTW what other schools have a good study at home program?

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #38103 by crystal

PMurphy wrote: OH thank you! BTW what other schools have a good study at home program?

You are welcome. I don't know that answer. B)
13 years 1 month ago #38157 by KZAM
You might want to contact either New England School of Photography or Proud Photography

I don't need no stink'in Signature! ha ha ha
Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #53495 by NYIP
Hey all, just wanted to hop in here and let you know that we've joined the forum and are eager to participate in the convo. That said I don't want to come in here and start selling.

If you ever have any questions about the courses or the school in general you can PM me here or call the school at 1-800-445-7279. We've always got a team standing by (not on weekends) ready to assist!

Thanks to Crystal for the nice review!

New York Institute of Photography

Visit us online at nyip.com
Follow us on Twitter @nyip

12 years 11 months ago #54445 by crystal

NYIP wrote: Hey all, just wanted to hop in here and let you know that we've joined the forum and are eager to participate in the convo. That said I don't want to come in here and start selling.

If you ever have any questions about the courses or the school in general you can PM me here or call the school at 1-800-445-7279. We've always got a team standing by (not on weekends) ready to assist!

You're welcome. :)
12 years 11 months ago #54472 by robbie
Took their course but didn`t complete it because of work schedule in the West Indies but the reading material was excellent.Went to a PTEC [community school] for a 'Commercial Photography' course
which was where I saw Infrared for the first time[lucky me!!]needless to say I was HOOKED!!

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #54602 by photobod

NYIP wrote: Hey all, just wanted to hop in here and let you know that we've joined the forum and are eager to participate in the convo. That said I don't want to come in here and start selling.

Hey, jump in and sell, offer us some discounts though :rofl: :rofl:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 11 months ago #54760 by robbie

photobod wrote:

Hey, jump in and sell, offer us some discounts though :rofl: :rofl:

:agree: :agree: :agree:
Great post!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024