Tamron lenses GOOD OR NOT So Great???

13 years 3 weeks ago #50128 by LovePhotography
As you know or not know I love my canon lenses and have been playing with them – well I was told that I am going to get a gift of a lens but the buyer does not want to buy one for more than 100.00 –

So I was looking today at a Tamron 28-80 lens but the reviews are mixed and I am not sure if this is a good lens or not.

I don’t want my friend to WASTE her money on a lens that is not good..

Please let me know your thoughts on Tamron Lenses? And Please be Truthful..

13 years 3 weeks ago #50134 by chasrich
I recently moved into the Canon world. I wanted a lens that would meet the needs I had already developed that would not cost a bundle. I went with the Tamron 18-270 for the fantastic zoom range. I've also discovered how fantastic it is in autofocus, even though I've been told it was slow and noisy. I'm looking at Sigma lens now but the Tamron option is still on my list of good lens. Now my tune might change if I should use a L lens for Canon. I'll keep buying loto tickets for now. :rofl:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
13 years 3 weeks ago #50136 by crystal

LovePhotography wrote: As you know or not know I love my canon lenses and have been playing with them – well I was told that I am going to get a gift of a lens but the buyer does not want to buy one for more than 100.00 –

So I was looking today at a Tamron 28-80 lens but the reviews are mixed and I am not sure if this is a good lens or not.

I don’t want my friend to WASTE her money on a lens that is not good..

Please let me know your thoughts on Tamron Lenses? And Please be Truthful..

I have never used a Tamron lens, so I do not know their quality, but why would you choose a lens of a focal length that you already cover.
If I remember correctly, you have the following lenses..
18-55
70-300

With the 18-55 and 70-300 You already cover the 28-80 range.

If this person really wants to buy you something, consider an extra battery, memory card, filters, books so you can learn photography.
13 years 3 weeks ago #50142 by effron
Some are good, some are not. You need to evaluate each lens................B)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
13 years 3 weeks ago #50151 by LovePhotography
But you heard that Tamron is a good lens?? I just don't want her to spend the money on something that is not really good..

13 years 3 weeks ago #50153 by LovePhotography
TRUE !! I do have all of those lenses - but that is what she said that she wanted to get for me..

I can tell her that I don't want it - but I don't want to hurt her feelings.

13 years 3 weeks ago #50154 by LovePhotography
good to know .. THANKS..

13 years 3 weeks ago #50200 by crystal

LovePhotography wrote: TRUE !! I do have all of those lenses - but that is what she said that she wanted to get for me..

I can tell her that I don't want it - but I don't want to hurt her feelings.

You are the photographer, you will be using the eqiupment, not her. Get what you need/want.
13 years 3 weeks ago #50211 by Henry Peach

effron wrote: Some are good, some are not. You need to evaluate each lens................B)

:agree:

The Tamron lenses I own and have used are optically excellent. Some have less than optimum AF speed. For instance my Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 appears to have AF on par with AF zooms from 15+ years ago: it's pretty slow. For me this isn't a big deal, as I tend to manually focus with this lens anyway. I've done extensive comparisons between my Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and my Canon L 24-70 f/2.8, and I think they are amazingly close considering the Canon L cost four times as much.

But I agree with Effron. You really need to assess lenses individually. I've found price isn't necessarily a good indicator of quality, but at the same time I'd really look over cheap lenses before I bought one.

Can you get a gift certificate, and apply it towards a f/2.8 zoom?
13 years 3 weeks ago #50416 by LovePhotography
True - but since it is a present I don't want to say WELL I would rather get this - and the money thing.. But I do hear you..

13 years 3 weeks ago #50417 by LovePhotography
I am not sure - since it is a Gift I really don't want to say WELL I would rather get this instead or something - she saw this and wanted to buy it for me - but I am not sure -
I heard that the part that connects to the camera is Plastic and not metal like a canon lens - so just worried that it is not that good..

Not sure what to do...

13 years 3 weeks ago - 13 years 3 weeks ago #50930 by Henry Peach

LovePhotography wrote: I heard that the part that connects to the camera is Plastic and not metal like a canon lens...

Canon was the first company to introduce the plastic lens mount, and all of their cheaper lenses are going to have a plastic lens mount too.

Modern plastic is pretty amazing stuff. They make cars and airplanes out of it. Unless you are really hard on your gear I wouldn't worry about that. The issue here seems to be whether or not you actually need and/or want the lens, and if not then it's just a waste of money. Why can't you just say "I appreciate the thought, but I've already got a lens just like that."?
13 years 2 weeks ago #51732 by nanhi
Hi LovePhotography, I'll put you out of the dilemma. Just go to the Pentax Forum.com (US one). Then move down to their Lens Review coiumn. Next go to 3rd Party lenses and then within that to Tamron. Check out your favorite lens on a numerical score and the reviews.
What a site - perhaps the worlds most comprehensive site.
I own a very old Tamron AF 28-200 zoom from my film camera days. And it is still pretty good on my Pentax K20D DSLR.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 weeks ago #52260 by LovePhotography
good to know.. thanks..

13 years 2 weeks ago #52261 by LovePhotography
GREAT !! Thanks for the info..

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon 6D Mark II might be an older DSLR, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a good option for 2024. In fact, this budget-friendly camera is a powerhouse for stills and videos.

May 21, 2024

In this guide to the bokeh effect, you’ll learn what bokeh is and the factors involved in creating it. You’ll also explore some beautiful example images to spark your creativity with bokeh!

May 16, 2024

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024