Advice On Product Photography

11 years 2 months ago #51659 by lillton
Hi All I am new to this forum I am looking for some professional advice on product photography

I take pictures (of clothing) with a plain white screen. However i get a lot of problems with the lighting mainly on whites and light colours with the screen looking yellowish and shadowing.

I was advised to buy some normal halogen work lamps (as pro studio lights are too expensive)so i purchased a set i have the option of 2x500W, 2x 250W or 2x150W lamps

What i want to know is what is the best lamp to use for product photography?

Also how do i set up the lamps?
Do I: -
1) Put the lamps behind me on the product as i shoot
2) Put the lamp in front of me but hitting the screen behind the produt
3) put the lamp behind the screen so the light comes through

Basically I would like a clear crisp white background without the expense of a pro studio and hours of editing in photoshop as there is simply to many products being pictured to photoshop them all. But I also what the best colouring of the product as some colurs tend to look different than they actually are. I am not a pro photographer and dont know much about ISO's white balance etc etc so i need it to be simple

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 2 months ago #51661 by Hoky Poke
First, you don't want direct light. You need to bounce the light off a soft object like a off-white wall or something. Some studio lights have umbrellas that reflect the light back at the subject softening it.

If you want a white background, I would do it with flashes... one lighting up the background and the other lighting up the item you're photographing. Since you probably don't have two flashes (I know I don't yet)... you will have to get creative with your lighting you already have.

11 years 2 months ago #51868 by effron

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

11 years 2 months ago #51972 by Joves
Also for lighting tech there is strobist.blogspot.com/ it is all things ghetto lighting. :P

2 months 5 days ago #736883 by EtherArts
Using a daylight-balanced bulb will help to not disrupt the white balance in your image. Put two clamp lights on either side of your setup to light the background, then use a reflector to bounce the light back to the front. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: emonkhan.gaid24

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon Z FC specs are quite impressive, and when paired with the retro-style body, you get a fun and capable camera for enthusiast shooters.

May 31, 2022

In this Nikon Z5 review, we'll discuss the specs, features, pros, and cons of this enthusiast-level camera. We'll also offer tips on where to buy one on the cheap!

May 10, 2022

The Leica Q (Typ 116) is a fantastic camera for intermediate and advanced shooters. Is it the best choice for you, though? Find out in this detailed review!

Apr 28, 2022

Looking for Best Budget Camera of 2022? Here’s my pick- Sony ZV-1. This best budget camera is loaded with features that give it lots of bang for your buck.

Feb 18, 2022
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Not every photo book is made alike. Some are superior to others because of the options you get. Learn what to look for in this guide.

Jun 28, 2022

What is the best camera in 2022? That's a loaded question whose answer depends on many factors. In this guide, we'll explore some great options!

Jun 22, 2022

GoPro accessories come in all shapes, sizes and price points. But which ones are the best? We offer our favorite picks in this 2022 guide.

Jun 22, 2022

Not sure how to grow your photography business? Check this beginner business guide to learn a few inside tricks to hit the ground running.

Jun 22, 2022

If you're in the market for some Sony FE lenses for your kit, use this guide to learn more about three excellent prime and zoom lens options.

Jun 22, 2022

If you want to take the best close-up images, you'll need some macro photography lenses to get the clearest, sharpest photos.

Jun 21, 2022

What is a metal print? The easy answer is that it's an image printed on metal. But the best metal prints are a product of a more intricate process.

Jun 21, 2022

After using Linksys routers for many years, I switched to a Synology Router - the RT6600ax. Here are my first impressions!

Jun 15, 2022