Struggling With Exposure

13 years 5 months ago #6863 by wildcard
Ok I desperately need help with exposure, sometimes I get so frustrated that I just give up and shoot everything in auto. I understand the general concept of exposure and I understand how to read the histogram. I always seem to choose the wrong aperture stop. I guess my general frustration is just not getting the exposure right. Does anyone have any great advice to help me out. I do not want to have to shoot in auto any longer, I want to get all of this figured out.

13 years 5 months ago #6899 by Joves
Are you shooting in Manual or in Aperture Priority? Also are most of your shots over or under exposed? Also what camera are you shooting with? At least you are shooting in the digital age so you can practice alot and get the instant feedback. In the film days when I was starting out my grandfather taught me to keep a notebook of each shot and, the conditions so, I could go back and see the effect of my settings, now you can look at the EXIFs and get all of the information. If it was too dark your f-stop was too high or the shutter speed was too fast for the ISO. Too bright then the opposite.

13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #6905 by CrazyHorse
Check out this site , hope it willl help. :)

The following user(s) said Thank You: McBeth Photography
13 years 5 months ago #7025 by Jorelskid
Rule of sunny 16

On a bright sunny day use F16 and the shutter speed is the same as 1/iso

so if a bright one a bright sunny day f16 if iso was 200 shutter speed would be as close to 1/200 as you can get.

13 years 5 months ago #7040 by KVRNut
You might try Fred Parker's page on exposure for some help. www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm

13 years 5 months ago #7092 by waynescook
What Jorelskid was referencing is the "Sunny Sixteen Rule" - a reference rule to get proper exposure; at the point two hours after sunrise, or two hours before sunset, when using f/16 with aperture priority for a subject lit from the front and a mid-tone subject (i.e. not very light or dark, but reflecting about one-fifth of the light striking it). To further explain, all colors have mid-tones. For example, mid-tone blue is halfway between midnight blue and light blue pastel; mid-time red would be between deep fire engine red and pale rose.

Also, learning to shoot in "Manual" mode is a challenge; but you will learn much about aperture, shutter speed, ISO, and the right combinations to get the right exposure.

I hope this helps without getting too technical.

WCBIRDSNLANDSC

The following user(s) said Thank You: McBeth Photography
13 years 5 months ago #7308 by Katti
i always choose my shutter speed...my camera sets the other settings. but they way i learned is if you have a tripod you can use any spead you want. if you dont have a remote use your timer for long shutter speads.

13 years 5 months ago #7317 by bhowdy
Crazy Horse gave you a link to an excellent resource. Others have offered great advice as well. No better way to kearn than to take shots and examine the exif data and see what works and what does not. In time you will look at a photo situation and "just know" what settings you will need to take a good photo.

I found the book below to be very helpful for me

Lighting and Exposure

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

13 years 4 months ago #7494 by Carn
great site thanks for sharing

13 years 4 months ago #7497 by Screamin Scott
Get this book "understanding exposure" by Bryan Peterson...Great resource...Here's a link to it on Amazon...

www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-3r...id=1290732026&sr=1-1

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #8673 by McBeth Photography
I also recommend the book, "Understanding Exposure" by Peterson. Bryans way of helping the beginner is done very much in laymens terms, he most certainly could have thrown all the techichal jargon at us but he has a way making difficult concepts easier to understand.

There are a lot of people that struggle with this. you are not alone!

It is what it is.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024