How Do You Get The Correct White Balance

13 years 4 months ago #8277 by kellikay
What is the best thing to use to get correct white balance the gray card or white card?

13 years 4 months ago #8310 by blindsquirrel
My Canon XSi has a number of pre-programmed white balance options that work well enough. I will often shoot the same shot with different white balances, and, like you, I am interested in getting a proper white balance at every shoot and every location and I have found custom lens caps in various forms to do just that. I recently read a article where the photographer slipped the white lid from his coffe on the lens to get a custom setting. I'm sure you'll find a few options in any Photography magazine, or go to Lallyphotography.com and take a peek-see-boo at their Lally Cap.

13 years 4 months ago #8316 by Joves
I use and Expodisc but have use white coffee filters held over the lens and used the measure option. You point it towards the light source and measure.

13 years 4 months ago #8318 by McBeth Photography
Using the "preset white balance" on my D70 opened up a whole new world for me! A professional photographer and friend suggested the expodisc, which just didn't fit into my budget. So I decided to make my own.
After examining a real Expodisc I thought that the light diffusion material looked pretty familar......and then it hit me, it is very similar to a cover for fluorescent lights! Being a maintenance guy and an electricians apprentice at Western Oregon University this is a material that is in very good supply, broken light covers are easy to find. So I cut a small chunk out of a broken light cover and brought it home, found an old 52mm filter that was scratched up and remove the glass (this filter had a threaded ring that held the glass in place), and cut the new insert for the filter out of the light cover material and put it in place.
Since the filter screws onto the lens there is no light leaking to confuse the sensor and the camera is ready to preset white balance. On the D70 I simply find exposure first (extremely important), then install the filter on the lens, change the white balance to "PRE", then screw it on and press and hold the WB button until it blinks, then fully press the shutter button. White Balance is now set for the situation.
I attached a photo I took using this tool I made.

Nikkor-P 105mm f2.5 on Nikon D70. Exposure 4 seconds, ISO 200, f11, preset white balance, and lit by 3 60watt bulbs.

It is what it is.
Attachments:
13 years 4 months ago #8379 by Martin

McBeth Photography wrote: Using the "preset white balance" on my D70 opened up a whole new world for me! A professional photographer and friend suggested the expodisc, which just didn't fit into my budget. So I decided to make my own.
After examining a real Expodisc I thought that the light diffusion material looked pretty familar......and then it hit me, it is very similar to a cover for fluorescent lights! Being a maintenance guy and an electricians apprentice at Western Oregon University this is a material that is in very good supply, broken light covers are easy to find. So I cut a small chunk out of a broken light cover and brought it home, found an old 52mm filter that was scratched up and remove the glass (this filter had a threaded ring that held the glass in place), and cut the new insert for the filter out of the light cover material and put it in place.
Since the filter screws onto the lens there is no light leaking to confuse the sensor and the camera is ready to preset white balance. On the D70 I simply find exposure first (extremely important), then install the filter on the lens, change the white balance to "PRE", then screw it on and press and hold the WB button until it blinks, then fully press the shutter button. White Balance is now set for the situation.
I attached a photo I took using this tool I made.

Nikkor-P 105mm f2.5 on Nikon D70. Exposure 4 seconds, ISO 200, f11, preset white balance, and lit by 3 60watt bulbs.

How much difference in the photo would there be if you had just left the camera to do it's thing? This is very interesting. Thanks for the post!

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #8380 by McBeth Photography
Well, in my experience in the past with long exposure times, anything over 1 second results in a orange color cast on the subject (incandescent = orange) and flourescent lights leave a green cast. I really wish now that I had shot a before pic without a preset white balance, maybe I'll do that sometime!

It is what it is.
13 years 4 months ago #8383 by Martin

McBeth Photography wrote: Well, in my experience in the past with long exposure times, anything over 1 second results in a orange color cast on the subject (incandescent = orange) and flourescent lights leave a green cast. I really wish now that I had shot a before pic without a preset white balance, maybe I'll do that sometime!

That was a great post you made earlier, so it was just one of those "I wonder" questions! If you had it, great! If not, don't worry about it. ;)

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBeth Photography
13 years 4 months ago #8671 by McBeth Photography
Here is a low light shot at a christmas vespers service. I shot this in raw and didn't have to adjust the color at all. Just cropped and darkened the highlighst a bit. Keep in mind that there are three different colors of light (soft light) falling on the girl plaing the piano. candle light, flourescent, and incandescent. Preset white balance makes the best of a bad situation, not to mention that the original pic was cropped a lot....cut away over half the pic.

It is what it is.
Attachments:
13 years 4 months ago #9357 by KenMan
I was reading about that, can't you just let the camera do it in auto mode?

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Latest Articles

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024