What is the best DSLR for low light photography?

12 years 10 months ago #98413 by Stacy Kaufman
I've been told it's Canon, but not so much because of the camera bodies. It's Canon's lenses that they have that make this statement true. Now perhaps I'm just to new at photography to get a complete understanding, but is this true? This is what is unclear to me. That previous statement was told to me from a guy in camera store. However I read online that ISO determines how low light you can shoot something?

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #98423 by chasrich
Hi Stacy... Hello George (love the avatar). :welcomeclan

:goodpost:

I recently bought a Canon 60D. One of the features mentioned with this model was that it had an improved sensor that allowed use of higher ISO settings -more sensitivity - with low levels of noise.

Lens are basically rated by the low end of the f/stop. As I understand it a f/1.4 by Nikon basically lets in the same amount of light as a f/1.4 made by Canon. The lens makers tend to stay pretty even in terms of what's available. I'd be curious to hear what others say. I think Canon and Nikon are closely matched and other camera manufacturers are matched close as well - no matter what the parameter is.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #98433 by MLKstudios
Less MP and a large chip will give you the best low light ability. For example, the D700 has 12mp and a full size imaging chip (with an ISO to 128,000).

The reason is, the fewer "photosites" per square inch (or mm) the larger they can be and the better they can capture light.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 10 months ago #98443 by Henry Peach

Stacy Kaufman wrote: I've been told it's Canon, but not so much because of the camera bodies. It's Canon's lenses that they have that make this statement true.

That previous statement was told to me from a guy in camera store.

He's a goof, or thinks you are. :) A large maximum aperture is helpful in low light situations, but Nikon, Canon, and most of the other manufacturers all offer lenses with similar specs.

I'm shooting Canon because six or seven years ago Canon clearly had a high ISO advantage. In the last several years I think Nikon has clearly caught up and even surpassed Canon when it comes to high ISO quality. At least with their 35mm format DSLRs. Even so the difference is so slight that it's not enough for me to worry about switching, and the majority of my photography is done at ISO 800+.

Generalizations about brand names are useless in the real world. You need to compare specific camera models, and the comparison should reflect your shooting situations. The sensor is a big part of it, but your processing workflow, including choice of software, is also important in determining what sort of quality you will get from high ISO.

It's my opinion that almost any current Canon or Nikon DSLR is amazing at high ISOs, but that's because I used to have to shoot with film, and high ISO film sucks. :)
12 years 10 months ago #98447 by MLKstudios
HP you don't miss the grain of "pushed" 400?

;)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #98451 by Henry Peach

MLKstudios wrote: Less MP and a large chip will give you the best low light ability. For example, the D700 has 12mp and a full size imaging chip (with an ISO to 128,000).

The reason is, the fewer "photosites" per square inch (or mm) the larger they can be and the better they can capture light.

In a comparison of photosite to photosite this is true, but when comparing prints it appears that megapixel count also comes into play. When pixel peeping photos from my 5DII to my 5D at 100% magnification it is clear to my eyes that the 5D has less noise. But if I make 16"x24" prints from each (shooting high ISO) the 5DII print shows less noise.

EDIT: These guys are deep into the photo gear geekery, but their findings reflect my experiences with DSLRs too. http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Insights/More-pixels-offset-noise!
12 years 10 months ago #98453 by Henry Peach

MLKstudios wrote: HP you don't miss the grain of "pushed" 400?

I love (<-sarcasm) the nostalgia people express for film grain these days. I'm not saying it was always ugly, but there's a reason I hauled a 4x5 camera around, and mainly it was to eliminate grain in large prints. :)
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #98457 by MLKstudios
Just got the new "expanded" edition of Robert Frank's The Americans. Lots and lots of grain.

You know right away you are looking at film images from long ago.

I don't see any reason to go back to it, but it does have a "look".

:)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 10 months ago #98469 by Henry Peach

MLKstudios wrote: Just got the new "expanded" edition of Robert Frank's The Americans.

I'm keeping my eyes out for one of the old editions of that book. They are apparently worth tens of thousands of dollars! :woohoo:
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #98471 by MLKstudios
Look for an early edition of The Decisive Moment with a cover by Matisse. Also very valuable.

Check your local library.

;)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 10 months ago #98477 by KCook

He's a goof, or thinks you are. A large maximum aperture is helpful in low light situations, but Nikon, Canon, and most of the other manufacturers all offer lenses with similar specs.

:agree: For consumer price DSLR cameras the main low light difference is not image quality but auto focus performance. In very weak light a camera may make the lens "hunt", taking extra time to find the correct focus. This is especially true when using "contrast detect" AF in the LCD LiveView mode. Get away from the normal lenses and this may also become an issue. Stick with using the viewfinder instead of LiveView and you will usually be Ok. If very low light is really a big issue for you start studying the online camera reviews. Or just find a different salesman.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #98479 by MLKstudios
Agreed. That is one "clueless" salesman. They're everywhere.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #98481 by Henry Peach
When I sold camera gear I was regularly encouraged by the Canon and Nikon reps to outright lie. They openly give cash kick-backs to sales people who move the gear they want sold. Other manufacturers give cash kick-backs too, but they never told me to make things up. I never did lie about gear, because I didn't think it was necessary to get the sale, but I saw lot's of others who did. It's been many years since I sold cameras, but I assume it's still going on.
12 years 10 months ago #98485 by Rob pix4u2
I've always been fortunate that I know what I want before I walk into the store- this helps a lot to know what the reviews said or what the performance expectation is. I can relate to wanting the best low light performance as most of my work is done in hockey arena lighting

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 10 months ago #98511 by effron

MLKstudios wrote: Agreed. That is one "clueless" salesman. They're everywhere.

Yeah, and not restricted to camera stores.......:angry:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024