What does it take to make a photograph ?

12 years 10 months ago #99255 by goli
I take lots of snapshots and some of them have good composition, some are taken at the right angle, some have the proper depth of field focus, some just seem to be right on the money but they are few and far between.

I've had focus issues with my point and shoot cameras especially with action shots many times spoiling an otherwise pretty good picture.
I picked up a pretty nice DSLR so once i get the understanding of the DSLR my focusing problems should be far less of a problem and I will have one less excuse.

So what do you think is it, putting all of the above together in one shot or am I missing something?
Comments please

12 years 10 months ago #99257 by Sea Lite
Picture the image in your head first. Having a rough idea in your head of what you want the viewer to see is a start. Before you start snapping away, take a few minutes to survey the scene. Look at the available light and use it, see if you need more. Adjust your aperture, wb and iso settings to suit the image already in your head. Look at your intended subjects, how fast are they moving. Adjust your shutter speed to suit the image in your head. Shooting moving subjects can simply be rhythmic. Timing them can get that perfect jump or kick.

12 years 10 months ago #99273 by goli
Thanks, I'll have to try that. That's my problem I don't picture the image in my head first...I just snap it.

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #99275 by chasrich
I think you need to tackle (focus) one thing at a time. Take focus for example... A photo can look out of focus for a number of reasons. Having the lens out of focus is one issue but having the subject move closer or farther away after focusing can cause a similar situation so add movement to the formula. Depth of field might be a cause as well as camera shake. Condensation or a smudge on the lens will take away from the sharp focus we are looking for. Do you have the diopter adjustment on the viewfinder in focus for your eye? Is there enough on the list yet?

After you start to improve on focus you can start analyzing other elements like lighting, exposure, composition and special effects... start another list for each. It seems impossible when you try to eat the whole cake but select one little slice at a time and soon you can have your cake and eat it too. :woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 10 months ago #99295 by goli

chasrich wrote: I think you need to tackle (focus) one thing at a time. Take focus for example... A photo can look out of focus for a number of reasons. Having the lens out of focus is one issue but having the subject move closer or farther away after focusing can cause a similar situation so add movement to the formula. Depth of field might be a cause as well as camera shake. Condensation or a smudge on the lens will take away from the sharp focus we are looking for. Do you have the diopter adjustment on the viewfinder in focus for your eye? Is there enough on the list yet?

After you start to improve on focus you can start analyzing other elements like lighting, exposure, composition and special effects... start another list for each. It seems impossible when you try to eat the whole cake but select one little slice at a time and soon you can have your cake and eat it too. :woohoo:

Thanks. Well I know the diopter adjustment is good, because I remember when I first got the DSLR, my focus was blurry at first and I read the manual and found the diopter and adjusted accordingly.
I am sure without a doubt there is camera shake, as I do not use a tripod.

Thanks for that list. I guess you're right, I have to work on one thing at a time.

12 years 10 months ago #99299 by T Wolf
It's all about paying close attention to the details: camera/lens and settings, scene foreground/background and subject.

12 years 10 months ago #99301 by Maria21
Play around with the camera & push it to it's limits in the area you are trying to improve on. It will teach you two things, what works right for you under differing conditions & what each part of the whole does on it's own (lighting, focus, ISO, f/stop, shutter speed, etc..) The most important thing it will do is teach you how to use your camera to overcome a hurdle when you run into one. You will soon learn that in a low light setting that you can adjust your shutter speed to compensate & approximately how much.

Once you get a better idea of the controls on the camera does & how to adjust them, we can help you more to hone in your skills.

Chasrich has it right too..only tackle one thing at a time. If you don't you'll soon look like the kid in the Excorsist with your head spinning around spewing vomit everywhere, and Lord knows we want to keep the cameras clean. ;)

Zerfing's Photographic Imaging
12 years 10 months ago #99469 by Shadowfixer1
Becoming competent technically with a camera is something that can be learned from repetition study. Ask questions. Don't be embarrassed or shy. Read everything you can about photography.

The best way to learn the artistic side in my opinion is to look at as many pictures by other photographers as you can, determine if you like them or not and then try to decide why you like it or you don't. You begin to see how the quality of light makes an image and how composition works, like rule of thirds, leading lines, s curves all make for a compelling image. Learn to look for the light and the compositional cues. That's my 2 cents.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024