Reflections in the rain

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #128132 by icepics
I appreciate the comments. And am feeling somewhat speechless.

VT Hiker, I didn't actually do any toning. The puddle photos were done in the darkroom on Ilford multigrade; they did scan w/a bit more blue/cool tone than on paper.

Annie Leibovitz.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #128136 by VT Hiker

icepics wrote: VT Hiker, I didn't actually do any toning. The puddle photos were done in the darkroom on Ilford multigrade; they did scan w/a bit more blue/cool tone than on paper.

A fortunate mistake. :)

Every moment of light and dark is a miracle. - Walt Whitman
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #128139 by MLKstudios
VT, it's called The Happy Accident. :)

onlineslangdictionary.com/meaning-of/happy-accident

Annie, and Geddes, are the only two most US citizens can name. Geddes for her calendars. Not really an artist, though some might think so. She was more of a fad that inspired many photos of kids in flower outfits -- and pea pods.

Cindy Sherman is still around. She recently sold a print (a self portrait) for $4 mil. at Sotheby's. There are a few German photographers who have made marks in the art world. Including Thomas Struth, Andreas Gursky, and the husband and wife team Bernd † and Hilla Becher (she's still alive), also known for industrial photography (including a series of water towers):

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Struth
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andreas_Gursky
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernd_and_Hilla_Becher

One of my favorites is an American (of Japanese origins) named Hiroshi Sugimoto. You've seen one of his seascapes before:

www.sugimotohiroshi.com/

That's a start anyway. Try to find some more. It isn't easy, is it?

Matthew :)

I just found this site cruising on my iPad. Can anyone tell me how his work connects to Dadaism?

www.kentrogowski.com/bears.html

Hint: The connection is similar to those linked to above.

________

PS I'm working hard NOT to teach, but inspire you. You can be a famous artist too.

www.mlkstudios.com/images/99cent.jpeg
Gursky's 99¢ Store ;)

________

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #128150 by Scotty

MLKstudios wrote: A challenge for you all. Name one famous photographer, who is still alive!

Sounds too easy, doesn't it?

It is. Peter Lik, Art Wolfe, William Neil, andrzej dragan, Dave hill.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #128152 by MLKstudios
chas, try some seascapes in the style of Sugimoto using week 2. Use your 50 with a tripod. You can have a gallery show with them.

FYI Sugimoto claims Marcel Duchamp (the Grand Dada) as his major inspiration.

Scotty, almost missed that post. You cheated. ;)

Am a fan of Dragan's portraits too. They're all good. More commercial in style.

What do you think of 99¢? It sold for $3.3 mil:

www.apartmenttherapy.com/la/inspiration/...rskys-99-cent-036786

An article on Gursky and his work:

whitehotmagazine.com/articles/andreas-gu...ver-art-gallery/1893

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #128566 by icepics
Boy it's been a long time since art history class... (I majored in special ed. but took every elective in art that I could!) Dadaism seems to throw a big monkey wrench into reality. Or in the case of the teddy bears, turns it inside out.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #128594 by MLKstudios
The bears (and the work linked to above) are a part of the "found art" tradition of Dadaism. Dadaists were anti-war (and hence anti-German). They often made machines out of found objects that accomplished NOTHING. They clattered and clanged, and were a lot of fun to watch, but no tanks or bombs came out the other end. It was using technology for it's own sake and NOT for the advancement of troops.

Of course, the Swiss were neutral, and spoke mostly German, so the Germans left them alone (for the most part). But the art was an underhanded slam at Germany; the political views of their time (WWI).

Duchamp stumbled upon the idea of found art while visiting an airplane factory. He saw propellers as art. However, they were being used for military purposes, which was something he was against. Later, he found things with interesting forms and displayed them as art (exs. his shovel and bottle rack).

Man Ray's "Gift" is a good example. If you put tacks on an iron, you can no longer iron with it. He rendered it useless. And made it art instead.

What matters to us now (almost 100 years later), is its influence on ANY work we call "modern" art. If there is no clear connection to Dadaism, it isn't going to be written about in the art magazines (or websites).

Dada describes the head of the "train" that new artists attach to. Without being connected to the train, you don't get recognized in the art world. Not that I wholeheartedly agree. Just the way it is.

What I learned studying art was...

If you want to be "known" as a true artist, in the art world, you need to be on that train. Otherwise, your work will end up in Flickr's photography collection.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024