Black and white Cornwall

12 years 2 months ago #201903 by GA Joe
I like all of these. However I would value opinion of others, especially if you think I should have left any shot colour. Oh, and of course if you think I shouldn't have bothered with the shot at all.

Taken in Cornwall, England

Portreath

Attachments:
12 years 2 months ago #201906 by GA Joe
Treyarnon

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #201908 by GA Joe
St Columb Major

Eden Project

And I do mean it, tell me if the photo is not worth it or I have the composition, focus or contrast wrong. I think some of these could be improved, and I might take some differently now, but I need to learn.

Attachments:
12 years 2 months ago #201932 by Darrell
B&W usually adds contrast and character to an image, you have done this in some.
#1 I would suggest looking along the fence not having it cut the picture in half
# 2,4,6,7,8 Remember the rule of thirds. Keep the subject out of the centre of the picture
# 5 What is it ? Maybe colour would help...
#11 Colour
Keep in mind this is my oppinion only

Enjoy photography and have fun !!

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 2 months ago #201942 by KCook
file 090 could work, but needs the burned in sky cropped out.

138 (bottom one) could be better with some fill light, but not a lot of fill.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 2 months ago #201991 by Shadowfixer1
Some quick opinions.
1 - 3 are too centered
4 - should be color
5 - probably better in color if the object is rust colored
6 - too busy--simplify is your friend
7 - I like the concept but would prefer more detail in the clouds and the objects
8 - nice scene but bad time of day for lighting
9 - good image but I would clone out the bird that is chopped off - threes work
10 - Crop out gutter and tone down the stone
11 - maybe color - b/w doesn't work here

Not right or wrong - just my opinion
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #202048 by GA Joe
Thanks very much for the tips. All very useful.

I must admit that I had not heard of the rule of thirds when I took these (in summer 2009, when I was in my favourite county for a few months!) so I am not surprised to hear those comments. Afraid I can't use Photoshop (although if I can find the disc I think I have an old copy), so cropping is fine, as are some other simple changes I can make in Windows Live Photo Gallery or Canon Digital Photo Professional, but anything complicated like cloning is probably beyond me.

Those suggestions for colour would look like this:

(sorry for separate posts; having difficulty with multiple uploads)

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #202049 by GA Joe
Sorry, can't get uploads to work! Thanks for the help anyway.

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #202050 by KCook
Cloning tools can be found in ACDSee 14, Adobe's Elements, and Corel Paintshop Pro.

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 1 month ago #205346 by Ms. Amy
There is too much black, too much shadow in all of them. Need to be more light. The concept, the subjects are good, just add more light.

12 years 1 month ago #205457 by icepics
You have some interesting subjects and I can see what you're going for. The conversions tend to look more grayscale I think; I've done B&W film and darkroom work and some of these seem more gray tones than black and white. What I learned and use when doing B&W is to have a 'black-black' and a 'white-white' somewhere in the image; it may be a small area and usually not in highlights, reflections etc. I use that as a starting point anyway.

The tree trunk in the first set is an interesting one, and those at Treyarnon are too. The one of the ivy covered wall might work better with less of the wall showing, it might bring the viewer's eye more to the ivy. Those of the power lines show the patterns but might benefit from a little cropping - maybe the pole would look better not quite so centered, and the bottom one might look more balanced with just the three birds (so you don't have one cut off).

I don't know if you have any art background, but if you're interested you might try and search elements of composition in art (line, shape, space, etc.). I find I've used those concepts without really thinking about it from having taken a good bit of art classes, and that can help with composing and framing shots.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #208300 by Ramdas Aswale
Simple but sweet...like BW images..
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #213997 by GA Joe
Thanks for all the advice. Very useful and all fits together.

Now the sun is out more must take some more B&W.

Any advice on whether to take colour and then take out all the colour or to set the camera to black and white (RAW of course, so I'll be able to get the colour back if I want). Does the camera do well with the change to B&W?

I have no art background (I am a science graduate, and never considered myself artistic) but will look for some information on composition from classical art. Both my mother and sister studied history of art so should be able to point me at information. Maybe spend a bit of time in the National Gallery too. I always liked it, and the National Portrait Gallery.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024