Does this B&W conversion work for you?

11 years 2 months ago #274300 by Alex
This photo is one I took about 4 years ago with my D90 and before I switched to RAW. I had woken up 4am in hopes of getting a majestic sunrise of the Golden Gate bridge. When I arrived at the vantage point just north of the Golden Bridge, I found myself in some very thick fog. This tunnel as many of you know is the tunnel that goes under the freeway as you travel up to the top of the mountain to the lookout that over looks the Golden Gate. My white balance was all jacked up. Four years later, I decided to mess around with it. I felt converting to B&W, worked. Then I added some artificial fog and further post processing.

Let me know what you think:

Original shot (click on each to see full size):

Converted:

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
Attachments:
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #274303 by Leilanee
I like the B&W more than the colour, but the fog doesn't do much for me.
I would like it best if it was a simple high-contrast B&W of the first image.

On second thought, the fog might work if it actually looked real. Try giving it some depth and density maybe? Right now it's just a screen over the image, and I like the textures in the tunnel. The fake fog sort of dulls it.

11 years 2 months ago #274324 by Riddick
The B&W one for me also.
It has got an eerie feeling about it that way.

11 years 2 months ago #274329 by Marte
B&W works for me as the color one seems ... well , white balance???

I agree with getting that fake fog away , sometimes it works but not in this case. On the other side needs contrast and a little bit of detail to make that 3D come out.
B&W is way more complicated than what most people think . Many people I know think that just des saturate any pic makes it "artistic" just because the lack of colors , but this idea could not be more far away from what B&W really is.

Concepts like contrast , structure , KNOW HOW TO USE DODGE AND BURN and either on camera or software simulated filters , besides the composition are the beginning of understanding how a B&W is made.
Knowing that you have absolute control over tonalities , light and shadows , grain , vignetting etc gives you a totally different view and concept of what a real black and white is (at least in digital).

The last step is the printing , no matter what RIP and printer you are using , nor where you go to print by experience I can tell you 89% of the times you will end up with a green and white or reddish or yellowish and white.
It takes a lot of time to understand how to properly prepare and print a true B&W.
It goes from the paper or the canvas used to your ink sets to how you manage the printing process from your computer to your printer.

Anyhow... love B&W.

"Somewhere between the darkness and the light lies the true color of the soul."

Cheers!

M.

Attachments:
11 years 2 months ago #274331 by Marte
Don´t know, I am way too sleepy and I hope you don´t mind...

Attachments:
11 years 2 months ago #274334 by spacedogleica
I think the eye is drawn towards the colour picture more, it has mare of a visual impact. The B&W has too ow a contrast and the fog decreases the contrast even more making it look washed out a little.
It is a good photo and has a nice perspective tunnel drawing the eye in.

11 years 2 months ago #274338 by photobod
The color version is eye popping I actualy really like it, the black and white version isnt contrasty enough for me I would prefer to see much deeper blacks. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

10 years 8 months ago #292504 by TvPhotos
I like the B&W Version but I wish it had a bit more contrast.

There is no reason not to follow your heart. ... Stay hungry. Stay foolish.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024