How remarkable is this Black and White landscape!

10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #301495 by Alex
Our friend Garry Schlatter with Vision and Imagination has won the Amateur competition in the Nature category in EPSON International Panorama competition!

Way to go Garry!

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
Attachments:
10 years 6 months ago #301509 by Shadowfixer1
I like it a lot, but I'm trying to figure out how it was done. Hmmm...
10 years 6 months ago #301513 by Stealthy Ninja
Cool
10 years 6 months ago #301591 by John Landolfi
How about zooming slowly in with a slow shutter speed while releasing the shutter? The trees in silhouette would appear sharp, since only the final silhouette would be visible.

Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #301595 by Vespista
Wow!

Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #301617 by MajorMagee
Probably just done in Photoshop with an image he found on the Internet. :rofl:

10 years 6 months ago #301865 by Shadowfixer1

John Landolfi wrote: How about zooming slowly in with a slow shutter speed while releasing the shutter? The trees in silhouette would appear sharp, since only the final silhouette would be visible.

I don't really think so because of the trees barely peaking over the hill in the rear and the one in the left rear. They are sharp also. The image would also have to be cropped in a specific way because when you zoom the sharp part is only dead center. It almost has to be done in Photoshop I think. It definitely has me thinking.
10 years 6 months ago #301919 by John Landolfi

Shadowfixer1 wrote:

John Landolfi wrote: How about zooming slowly in with a slow shutter speed while releasing the shutter? The trees in silhouette would appear sharp, since only the final silhouette would be visible.

I don't really think so because of the trees barely peaking over the hill in the rear and the one in the left rear. They are sharp also. The image would also have to be cropped in a specific way because when you zoom the sharp part is only dead center. It almost has to be done in Photoshop I think. It definitely has me thinking.

I agree that the trees in the background were added in Photoshop, to add confusing red herrings to the image. But there is some smudging on both sides of the trees in the center, especially on the left, which still leads me to think that my idea may be on the right track, although further editing was certainly done.

Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #301943 by hghlndr6

John Landolfi wrote:

Shadowfixer1 wrote:

I agree that the trees in the background were added in Photoshop, to add confusing red herrings to the image. But there is some smudging on both sides of the trees in the center, especially on the left, which still leads me to think that my idea may be on the right track, although further editing was certainly done.

If it were done entirely in-camera, the trees in the background would be blurred more.

Easier to do it in Photoshop than in-camera. In duplicate layer: filter > blur > radial blur > zoom blur. Put the "center point," where you want it, ie. on the trees. Do it again if you want more blur, as many times as it takes. Add a layer mask and, with a soft black brush, reduce or eliminate the blur where you don't want it.
10 years 6 months ago #301989 by Shadowfixer1

hghlndr6 wrote:

John Landolfi wrote:

Shadowfixer1 wrote:

If it were done entirely in-camera, the trees in the background would be blurred more.

Easier to do it in Photoshop than in-camera. In duplicate layer: filter > blur > radial blur > zoom blur. Put the "center point," where you want it, ie. on the trees. Do it again if you want more blur, as many times as it takes. Add a layer mask and, with a soft black brush, reduce or eliminate the blur where you don't want it.

This is what I am leaning toward also. It's about the only way to do it unless you combined two images. One fixed and one zoomed, but I still don't think that way would get this result.
10 years 6 months ago #302103 by Alex
I'm going to send Garry a quick email and see if he will chime in here with how he took this amazing shot. Stay tuned!

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #302111 by Rudy Sosa
WOW that is gorgeous! I'm guessing he zoomed in while taking the photo. :judge: :judge: :judge:

Photo Comments
10 years 6 months ago #302205 by hghlndr6
I gave it a shot with that photoshop technique I described above. Took about 15 min 'cause I didn't really fuss with it. Have a look here:

www.flickr.com/photos/bobmitchellphoto/10486108484/
10 years 6 months ago #302461 by Vision and Imagination
Hi Guys, thanks for your interest into the making of this photograph.

Spring time in Europe, without doubt one of the most wonderful seasons in Europe. After visiting my family in Switzerland I allowed myself another 10 days to travel through parts of Italy before returning back to Australia. Ever since I was showing a greater interest in photography, Tuscany has been very high on my bucket list. And it didn’t disappoint, both from a cultural and scenic point of view. Packed with plenty of ideas and maps I was wondering how much I could fit into such a short period of time. Amongst other visual attractions of the Val d’Orcia I had a particular interest in the famous cluster of Cypress trees near San Quirico d'Orcia.
Being outside the normally deserted landscapes of Australia I experienced first hand what it means visiting such a remarkable and famous place, which is probably one of the most photographed glade of trees in the world. Photographers from far away and almost any time of the day stop by here to be amazed by the rolling hills with its dotted Cypress trees.
I saw an opportunity for a wide panoramic image and challenged myself with a point of view a little different. Equipped with my Panorama equipment I captured 15 vertical frames from left to right and felt very small and insignificant amongst the grandeur of this scene. The colours were pretty but I wanted to simplify the image further to distract from the colours.

So a few people got it right :-), the motion effect was achieved with post processing.
I duplicated the Layer, applied a zoom blur filter and moved the center point to cluster of trees. I then applied a mask and, with black brush, removed the filter from the trees only.

I was happy with what I saw as it evokes emotion looking at the rolling hills with it’s different shades and dotted trees.

Thank you all
Cheers
Garry
www.visionandimagination.com
10 years 6 months ago #302467 by John Landolfi

Vision and Imagination wrote: Hi Guys, thanks for your interest into the making of this photograph.

Spring time in Europe, without doubt one of the most wonderful seasons in Europe. After visiting my family in Switzerland I allowed myself another 10 days to travel through parts of Italy before returning back to Australia. Ever since I was showing a greater interest in photography, Tuscany has been very high on my bucket list. And it didn’t disappoint, both from a cultural and scenic point of view. Packed with plenty of ideas and maps I was wondering how much I could fit into such a short period of time. Amongst other visual attractions of the Val d’Orcia I had a particular interest in the famous cluster of Cypress trees near San Quirico d'Orcia.
Being outside the normally deserted landscapes of Australia I experienced first hand what it means visiting such a remarkable and famous place, which is probably one of the most photographed glade of trees in the world. Photographers from far away and almost any time of the day stop by here to be amazed by the rolling hills with its dotted Cypress trees.
I saw an opportunity for a wide panoramic image and challenged myself with a point of view a little different. Equipped with my Panorama equipment I captured 15 vertical frames from left to right and felt very small and insignificant amongst the grandeur of this scene. The colours were pretty but I wanted to simplify the image further to distract from the colours.

So a few people got it right :-), the motion effect was achieved with post processing.
I duplicated the Layer, applied a zoom blur filter and moved the center point to cluster of trees. I then applied a mask and, with black brush, removed the filter from the trees only.

I was happy with what I saw as it evokes emotion looking at the rolling hills with it’s different shades and dotted trees.

Thank you all
Cheers
Garry
www.visionandimagination.com

Thanks, Garry! Great stuff!.
And kudos to Bob, who nailed it! :thumbsup:

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024