Camera Review: Canon 135mm f/2 L - the Lord of the Red Rings?

12 years 10 months ago #107991 by PhotographyTalk
Canon's 135mm lens is one of Canon's lenses that has gained a strong reputation for it's sharpness and has been labelled as the "Sharpest L Lens". The folks with DigitalRev put this lens though the test gauntlet and share with you the results!

Enjoy!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Chilli
12 years 9 months ago #116107 by momen
Hi,

Thank you for sharing this video. I'm actually about to go shopping for my zoom lens and I finally narrowed down my options to primes (not sure if it actually makes sense to not have a zoom, but I'm willing to trade that for the image quality of the prime). I'm now with 2 finalists; namely the 135mm f/2.0L and the 200mm f/2.8L. The 135mm is around $250 more expensive than the other one, but I don't mind the difference. The question here is, since this is probably going to be my only lens before a long time, which one do you recommend between the two? Obviously the 135mm is faster, but I could also use the 65mm extra focal length, any advice from someone who tried both?

Sorry about the lengthy post.. :blink:

12 years 8 months ago #131039 by fm48
I own this lens and it is sharp as heck across the frame .Fast focus color contrast etc .Excellent. no complaints here on this end.

12 years 8 months ago #131437 by advaitin
The 135mm L will take Canon's superb new 1.4 and 2X teleconverters. this will give you either a 189mm f2.8 or 270mm f 4. But by the time you have spent the money for all of that, you could easily have the equally superb 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II lens--which mates even better to the two TCs.

See, it's a never-ending cycle.

12 years 8 months ago #131439 by MLKstudios
He made the point if you are going to shoot models professionally, use a professional hair and makeup person as well. Any tiny flaw gets magnified.

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 8 months ago #131452 by Stealthy Ninja

momen wrote: Hi,

Thank you for sharing this video. I'm actually about to go shopping for my zoom lens and I finally narrowed down my options to primes (not sure if it actually makes sense to not have a zoom, but I'm willing to trade that for the image quality of the prime). I'm now with 2 finalists; namely the 135mm f/2.0L and the 200mm f/2.8L. The 135mm is around $250 more expensive than the other one, but I don't mind the difference. The question here is, since this is probably going to be my only lens before a long time, which one do you recommend between the two? Obviously the 135mm is faster, but I could also use the 65mm extra focal length, any advice from someone who tried both?

Sorry about the lengthy post.. :blink:

Depends what you're gonna use it for. I use to own a 200 2.8L and a 100L (I know it's not the 135, but it's close).

If you're doing portraits, then go for the 135 I'd say.

If you want to shoot things a bit further away, then the 200 would be good.

Depends on what camera you have too. If it's a FF camera (5DII for example) then I'm right, if not then IMHO 135mm is a bit long for a crop camera (if you're shooting portraits).

The 200 2.8L is just as sharp as the 135mm and only a touch slower. However you'll likely get a nicer look for portraits if you use the 135mm.

If I were you I'd get the 135mm and a 70-200 2.8L IS II. The 70-200 2.8L IS II is just as sharp as the 200 2.8L and it has IS. BUT it might be a bit hard on the pocket.
12 years 8 months ago #131454 by Stealthy Ninja
Alternatively, get yourself a 85mm 1.4 from sigma and the 70-200 2.8L IS II. 85 1.4 is great for portraits (FF or Crop) and the 70-200 2.8L IS II will do the rest. :)
12 years 8 months ago #131469 by momen
Thank you all for sharing those valuable information! I have actually went ahead and bought the 135mm as I couldn't resist all the GREAT reviews on its sharpness! :owned:

I got a chance to try it very briefly and I have already fallen in love with it (FYI, it's my first L series lens)! I use a cropped sensor body and I will use it for various purposes. Portraits is just one of them, but I would also do some street candids, travel (not sure what I would need it for then) and possibly some close ups (not micro). I needed a longer focal length as the longest I had before was 85mm.

Over time, I will asses my need for having an even longer focal length and will decide whether to get a 70-200mm 2.8 or an extension tube (depending on the pocket size then :))

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #131480 by Stealthy Ninja

momen wrote: Over time, I will asses my need for having an even longer focal length and will decide whether to get a 70-200mm 2.8 or an extension tube (depending on the pocket size then :))

Oh the visual picture that typo created is NOT pretty. LOL maybe you should assess your need next time :p ;) :thumbsup: LOL the difference one "s" can make.

70-200 2.8 IS II (and the Nikon variant) is/are excellent lenses, equally as awesome. I strongly recommend all Canon/Nikon users get one.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024