Probably gonna get the 7D - that WOULD be an upgrade from my XSi, yes...??

12 years 6 months ago #148833 by stefographer
Feel a bit stupid for asking this, but better to be a fool for asking- than a fool for keeping my mouth shut, eh..?? lol

Anyway- currently have an XSi- and had dreamed of upgrading to the 5D Mark 2 for the full frame capabilities and excellent lowlight images and video.....

But now i am thinking of the 7D instead- as with a budget of about $3500 - if i get the 7D, i would be able to also get perhaps a lens and/or some gear, in order to be able to create better quality video....

In any case- just looking for feedback / input/ ideas of other gear for an advanced enthusiast looking to delve deeper into making video as well....

I have more detailed and specific questions.. but thought to get the convo started...

THANKS all who reply! Hope all is well lit in your life.... :thumbsup:

"We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE ARE..."
12 years 6 months ago #148854 by KCook
There are specific Canon full frame lenses that find their way on to some folk's lust list. But as long as you don't crave the full benefit of one of those, the 7D should be fine. Translation: with the 7D you will be more likely selecting Sigma, Tokina, etc than you would with a full frame. Some folks are comfortable with that path, some are not. 60D fans might want to pit their video against the 7D. No personal experience here, I've never had a DSLR with video.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 6 months ago #148958 by Stealthy Ninja
To be honest, for video you don't need a top quality lens to get good results. The resolution of video just isn't enough to see the benefit. HOWEVER the larger sensor of the 5Dii will let you get a shallower DOF making it easier to get those shallow DOF shots that DSLR video is useful for.

So if it were purely a video consideration, I'd definitely go 5DII.
12 years 6 months ago #149672 by animalhass

7d and canon 70-300 lens

XSI and 18-55 kit lens

Hi there! I am strictly an amatuer, but I faced the same decisions back in May - I upgraded my XSI to a 7d after a lot of research. I love it. As an example, the XSI only goes up to 1600 ISO - the 7d goes up to 6400. It has saved my behind in low light situations. The 18mp sensor is ahhh so much better than the 12mp XSI.

It is still a 1.6X crop sensor. Having full size might someday be an important feature, but not right now.

I shoot events, so I use both cameras. Don't give up on the XSI, it is often my daily workhorse grab and go camera that I take with me in my car. The 7d goes when I am taking trickier shots - It is awesome for concerts, etc where you cannot use a flash.

Attachments:
12 years 6 months ago #149697 by Superdaddy73
I made the leap from the canon xs to the 7d, besty move i ever made.

12 years 6 months ago #149702 by Towcestermark
Okay, as the conversation has started, I'm shooting with a 500D and I still don't get the 'full frame' thing..? What's the difference.

I have a 15mp sensor, and 3200 iso but if I wanted to shoot in lower light I use my 50mm prime so I don't get what the lower light thing to start with.

I don't really understand the crop factor 'thing'

Anyway, as I said, the conversation started

12 years 6 months ago #149716 by KCook
It's actually a lens issue. Crop factor "hurts" a full frame lens, in that you do not get the benefit of the full field of view the lens was designed for. If the lens happens to be a crop design, then no "hurt" and very little benefit from mounting it on a full frame body. Most companies put their premium effort into their full frame lens designs. If you're happy with your crop lens, harbor no lust for a full frame lens design, then little gain.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 6 months ago #151661 by A9 Photo

stefographer wrote: Feel a bit stupid for asking this, but better to be a fool for asking- than a fool for keeping my mouth shut, eh..?? lol

Anyway- currently have an XSi- and had dreamed of upgrading to the 5D Mark 2 for the full frame capabilities and excellent lowlight images and video.....

But now i am thinking of the 7D instead- as with a budget of about $3500 - if i get the 7D, i would be able to also get perhaps a lens and/or some gear, in order to be able to create better quality video....

In any case- just looking for feedback / input/ ideas of other gear for an advanced enthusiast looking to delve deeper into making video as well....

I have more detailed and specific questions.. but thought to get the convo started...

THANKS all who reply! Hope all is well lit in your life.... :thumbsup:

That's a big jump... xsi to a mark 2. The question is more like....do you really need a camera with that much power? Most people buy cameras because of the name...but have no idea how to use it and have no reason to have a full frame.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Latest Articles

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024