Thinking about upgrading to the 7D... other questions..Input amyone..??

12 years 7 months ago #149441 by stefographer
Alright-!! So- the CHECK IS IN MY HAND. And i'm pretty sure i know which 'upgrade' im going to go with. PLEASE- any input- ESPECIALLY from those with a 7D and/ or have used their DSLR for making short videos, narrative or abstract- is appreciated- and remember- i am a somewhat midrange advanced enthusiast far as shooting stills- but BARELY a beginner for using DSLR video… So if u can explain or break down any tech talk… MUCH to BE OBLIGED I AM… ;-)

For the longest time- i had thought when the time came- i would upgrade from my cheesy XSi (a great intro dslr, tho) to a FF 5D Mark 2… This is my last semester before graduating with a double BA in Graphic Design and Photography - so i need to use this $ to get as much a better quality image maker as i can…
I dreamed of a 5D- i fondled my friends 5D's…. I bought nothing but EF lenses in anticipation of the DAY one would be mine…

HOWEVER - no matter how much i tried to ignore it.. I kept hearing great things about the 7D.. As i weaned myself off the keeping up with the tech lust Jones-(and learning of the video 'minuses' with the 5DM2) i started to think- if i got the 7D - i could conceivably also get a bit of helpful gear in addition to the body...

I THINK i have gotten over my hesitation that going from the XSi to the 7D would be more of a lateral move than an upgrade- but THEN i also started to read about apparent soft images with the 7D and that several blogs/reviews were reporting that the XSi actually shoots sharper- then i ALSO read other blogs reviews saying THAT testing was erroneous…

With my increasing interest in doing short videos- and the fact that i fully acknowledge i've got a long way to go even with still shooting - the 7D is looking like the way to go…
So im asking anybody who has the time and inclination to answer the above- and maybe as well- clue me into a couple things to watch out for in starting to do video… and / or if what im planning sounds like the way to go….

1- AM i correct that the 7D would indeed be an upgrade more than a lateral move from my XSi… (especially in low light)..?

2- Any 7D owners care to tell me about their experiences with it as far as soft focus/softer images…??

3- Suggestions for a lens to use (primarily to 'round out' the ones i have) that would be good for video as well…?? (My lenses currently are 50 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 100 f2, and a SIGMA 10-20 f4…)

4- Suggestions for (inexpensive) audio solutions/ gear to aid in getting good audio and a rigging system to use/hold the 7D in a more film camera way or whatever (maybe this isn't terribly important…??

5 - PLEASE - any pitfalls or 'if i knew then what i know now' about starting to delve into video from those who have for awhile now…??

THANKS MUCHLY ALL!!!!

stefographer.com/

"We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE ARE..."
12 years 7 months ago #149447 by Stealthy Ninja
OK I don't own a 7D but I owned a 5DII.

I also know a lot about video, so I can help.

One major disadvantage with the 7D over the 5Dii is that the 7D cannot run magic lantern firmware. Magic lantern is a 3rd party firmware that adds some nice video related features to the 5Dii.

magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Lantern_Firmware_Wiki

Of course you're messing about with firmware so use it at your own risk and I'm not responsible in any way for any damage that might happen to your camera (no matter how small the risk).

Ok for video you're better off with good MF lenses (as you can't auto focus during videography on a Canon DSLR at the moment) The lenses you have are OK, but I'd look into something from Zeiss if you can afford it. Or Voigtländer or Samyang. Samyang make a really nice 35 1.4 MF lens that's hard to find, but good quality and ideal for videography (doesn't cost too much either).

5Dii will make it easier to get a shallow DOF (which is what DSLR movie making is all about in a way).

5Dii will make shooting in low light easier.

5Dii will have less noise

However:
7D is cheaper
7D has good video (equal to that of the 5Dii but with a deeper dof, which could be handy for sports shooting, but if you're shooting sports a normal video cam is better).
7D has a better AF system for STILL photography.

For audio. The easiest way to go is get a RODE mic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stefographer
12 years 7 months ago #149453 by stefographer
Yeah- i did realize the less noise thing with the 5D2- and i would LUV to just dive in and get the 5D which i KNOW i'd be happy with (until the Mark 3 comes out early next year, with my luck...lol)...

But $ is kind of a major factor- as if i DI get the 7D- i can also get a bit of gear that will help not only make better quality video- but remember- i have a HUGE learning curve here....Im just starting OUT to get into video....
I know editing- but have only FILMED with camcorders/ film camera previously....

Anybody able to tell me if for sure the noise on 7D (for stills) would at least definitely be better than the XSi...?? Thank, Ninja.. and anybody else...

;-)

ST. stefographer.com/

12 years 7 months ago #149464 by Clevelands Best

:agree: looking to do the same, shooting with a Rebel now

Attachments:
12 years 7 months ago #149465 by Stealthy Ninja
What's a XSi actually? 400D? 450D? 500D? 550D? 600D?
12 years 7 months ago #149468 by stefographer
I believe it's the 450D (hangs head in appropriate entry level tech shame)......

It was great for me to start out with..... It's still as of yet my only body.....

12 years 7 months ago #149469 by stefographer
Awesome shot, Fresh... Are those contrails or clouds?

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #149472 by Stealthy Ninja
I checked and it's the 450D. Yes the noise is gonna better. But if you want dramatically improved Noise then the 5D will show it more.

OK apparently the T2i (550D), T3i (600D), 60D and 7D basically have the same sensor.

So just going by sensor (for video only) the 7D isn't so great, might as well get a 60D.

But the 7D has a better (metal) body and a much better AF system. Better than the 5Dii's AF system for sure.

However this is for stills (the AF system) so it depends how important it is to be able to focus on moving subjects for stills.

The Canon AF system sucks in most bodies. 7D and 1DIV are the exceptions. 1DsIII is OK too, but my friend who owns one says it's not great, so take that for what it's worth). With Nikon D7000 and above all have great AF. Which is the advantage of Nikon, but I'm not gonna debate that.
12 years 7 months ago #149475 by stefographer
UUggh!! lol

i do SO badly WANT to get the 5D... but i just can't let go of the ability to ALSO get a few other helpful things (another hard drive JUST for video files, another lens, a mic....) if i get the 7D....

And it also has weather sealing, which is awesome..... My thinking is- im not quite at the point where im making considerable income yet, so- im thinking after my intro 450D- this will be a good step up- the NEXT one being the 5D -THREE, as that will probably be out by the time i can afford to get a $2,500+ body.....

And everybody is saying the Mark 3 will fix all the niggling little problems the Mark2 has video-wise.....

THANKS, soooo much for your input, amigo Ninja...!!

I would luv to see some of your video work......

ST.

12 years 7 months ago #149483 by Stealthy Ninja
My video work is mainly corporate and event stuff. Nothing interesting.

If money is a problem, the 7D will let you take very good video. Very good indeed. I recently edited a whole bunch of 7D footage for a client and I was really impressed.

Yeh you make an excellent point too. The 5DIII is coming and it will have (hopefully) much better AF and other things that it's now lacking.

So perhaps the best choice for you NOW is the 7D (or 60D even) and a few other things, then save the rest towards the 5Diii.

I'm personally doing something very similar.

I have a Nikon D3s (for stills) and I've also got a D7000 for video and as a second body. I will get a D800 when it comes out though.

So yeh go for the 7D now and then get the 5DIII later. Good plan.

Then you;ll have a good crop body to go with your FF. It's nice to have a good crop body for telephoto work.

:D

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024