going from film slr to digital

12 years 6 months ago #165447 by Qmamom
A friend is wanting to go digital and he shoots with a Rebel now. My question is will his older lens auto-focus with all the dslr cameras? I know with Nikon you have to have the motor in the body for certain older ones to auto-focus but clueless on Canons...Thanks

12 years 6 months ago #165498 by Dsoul
Not sure, I also shoot with Nikon. But the only way to find out, is to place the lens on the DSLR and see if it works.

12 years 6 months ago #165530 by Qmamom
Yeah I don't know exactly what he has been shooting with and don't know if it would be worth him staying with Canon since he only has one lens. I will have him take the camera and see if it works on other bodies.

12 years 6 months ago #165653 by KCook
If the old Canon lens is auto focus, then yes, it will work with a current Canon body. All Canon AF lenses have the motor in the lens, so zero confusion on that score. But if the old Canon lens is manual focus instead of AF, then there may well be a problem. Canon completely redesigned their lens mount back when they made the switch to AF. Unlike Nikon.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 6 months ago #165686 by chasrich
:agree:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 6 months ago #165696 by Solstar
If he is using a film Rebel he shouldn't have a problem since that is an EOS body so all the lenses will transition. The tricky bit may be getting used to a crop factor unless a full frame sensor is in the budget.

12 years 6 months ago #165812 by Qmamom
Perfect thanks y'all! I will let him know and get him to join!

12 years 6 months ago #165894 by Stealthy Ninja

Qmamom wrote: A friend is wanting to go digital and he shoots with a Rebel now. ...

Rebel film camera huh? So what is he thinking of buying? 5DII?
12 years 6 months ago #165909 by icepics
If it's a new enough Canon EOS camera and lens it would have an EF mount which should be compatible w/a digital body. As Kelly said if it's an older Canon F mount manual focus it wouldn't fit or work together. As others said he should check before he buys.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #165916 by Stealthy Ninja

icepics wrote: If it's a new enough Canon EOS camera and lens it would have an EF mount which should be compatible w/a digital body. As Kelly said if it's an older Canon F mount manual focus it wouldn't fit or work together. As others said he should check before he buys.

All Rebel film cameras are EOS anyway, so the OP's friend should have EF lenses, all of which will work fine on all the current Canon cameras.
12 years 3 months ago #195434 by dang

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

icepics wrote: If it's a new enough Canon EOS camera and lens it would have an EF mount which should be compatible w/a digital body. As Kelly said if it's an older Canon F mount manual focus it wouldn't fit or work together. As others said he should check before he buys.

All Rebel film cameras are EOS anyway, so the OP's friend should have EF lenses, all of which will work fine on all the current Canon cameras.

:agree:
EF Lens compatible film bodies include, but not limited to: 1, 1N, 1V, 3, 10S 10QD, 50E, 100, 630, 650, 3000, 5000, A2 Series, (some Elan series), Kiss, Rebel, RT and XS series. Double check Canon for specifics on other bodies.

*Small sensor specific lenses labeled EF-S, are not cross-compatible with full frame bodies, though EF series fit both (starting with the Canon 300D). Earlier digital bodies including the 10D, 30D, and 60D only accept EF series. Older Canon F-mount manual lenses are not compatible with any digital body. Research, or check your camera manual for specifics.
:)

Insanity: doing the same thing over, and over again expecting different results. (Albert Einstein)
www.dangphoto.weebly.com

12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #195456 by scifitographer
The film rebel used an EF mount, all of Canon's DSLRs also use an EF mount. If he gets a camera with a cropped sensor then he also has the option of using EF-s lenses. All EF and EF-s lenses will autofocus on any of Canon's DSLRs.

Some 3rd party lenses that are old may need to be rechipped or he may not be able to change the aperture. A friend of mine purchased and old Tamron 70-210mm (I think) which wouldn't work until he got it rechipped.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024