Need some Canon lens advice: 70-200mm f/4 vs f/2.8?

12 years 5 months ago #175960 by DTM
I really don't have a preference to what I like to photograph and would really like to have a nice zoom lens. The only problem is that I have a limited budget. The f/2.8 is nearly $1400 and the f/4 is about $600. There seems to be just one stop difference. Assuming that I shoot most of the time outdoors, would the f/2.8 really be needed?

12 years 5 months ago #176056 by Camera Diva
I have the 70-200mm f/4 and have to say I'm happy with the lens. I will say I had the opportunity to shoot a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 last week and it's a night and day difference. I'm planning in Feb to upgrade to the f/2.8 and it might be a Sigma. Not sure yet, I might need to borrow the lens from my friend again :whistle:

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! - Terry Pratchett
Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #176084 by Studio Queen
If I had the spare cash I would upgrade to the f/2.8

It's quicker in low light and it offers much sharper image quality.

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #176513 by akaobikenobi
I think mostly you get what you pay for. I have the f4 because I shoot in natural light most of the time. I've read many reviews that the image quality is better than most comparable lenses, I have to say I'm very happy with it and it works very well with a flash, it's cracking sharp. I had a Sigma f2.8, I loved it but it was quite a lump.

12 years 5 months ago #176662 by Stealthy Ninja
You talking the IS or non-IS version. The IS versions are better I hear (not just for the IS, but they're sharp).
12 years 5 months ago #176872 by TheNissanMan
I have shot with both lenses, they are both extremely sharp and quick. The 2.8 is an absolute stunning lens and is the next lens on my shopping list, an extra stop and stunning Bokeh.

The Sigma 2.8 which I have also tried is not a patch on the canon.

12 years 5 months ago #176890 by Maria21
I have the Canon EF 70-210mm 1:3.5-4.5 that I bought used for about 800, I absolutely love it. I hesitated in buying it because of the price, but I read lots of reviews & asked a few other photographers I knew what they thought & they said it was a good buy for the price in our area. So I got it & I think I've gotten more use out of that lens than any other in my bag. (I just wish I had the original instruction manual for it to see if it is a macro or not.)

Zerfing's Photographic Imaging
12 years 5 months ago #176901 by Henry Peach
I prefer the f/4 model because of size. I owned the f/2.8, but I very rarely shot it faster than f/4, and the f/4 is very sharp at f/4.
12 years 5 months ago #177077 by icepics
KEH has manuals/instruction books for a lot of cameras - if you look under the brand/type of camera they're usually listed under Misc. or Access. Not sure if there are separate instructions for specific lenses or not.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #177217 by DTM

Henry Peach wrote: I prefer the f/4 model because of size. I owned the f/2.8, but I very rarely shot it faster than f/4, and the f/4 is very sharp at f/4.

I was seriously thinking about the f/2.8, after reading your post I'm now back on the fence!

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #177265 by steveheap
I have the 70-200 F4L lens (which I think is the one we are talking about). I looked at the f2.8 version, but the size really put me off. Almost all the time I use the lens at less than its max aperture, it is very sharp, it matches nicely with the canon extender to give about a 300mm lens, and is small enough that it is always in my camera bag. I'm not sure that I could have fit the 2.8 version in the bag!

I bought mine off Amazon for about $1100 back in 2009.

BTW - I got the IS version - seems to perform very well at stabilization.

Steve

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

12 years 5 months ago #177325 by Stealthy Ninja

DTM wrote:

Henry Peach wrote: I prefer the f/4 model because of size. I owned the f/2.8, but I very rarely shot it faster than f/4, and the f/4 is very sharp at f/4.

I was seriously thinking about the f/2.8, after reading your post I'm now back on the fence!

On the other hand my 70-200 2.8 is nearly always on f/2.8. I like the shallow DOF and the effects I can get with that.

Just to make you more confused.
12 years 5 months ago #177430 by bhowdy
DTM - Based on the pricing that you listed it seems that you are referencing non image stabilized versions.

Given that I would make a suggestion ...... Get the Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS lens. The f/4 are incredibly sharp versions of Canon's 70-200 series. The image stabilization really does help. You can get a new version for just under $1,000.00.

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

12 years 5 months ago #177470 by Henry Peach

Stealthy Ninja wrote: On the other hand my 70-200 2.8 is nearly always on f/2.8. I like the shallow DOF and the effects I can get with that.

I did extensive comparisons before I switched. At the focusing distances I tend to use the lens at (20'+) the difference in DOF between f/2.8 and f/4 is only a few inches, and the bokeh is indistinguishable in prints. A change of a couple of feet in focusing distance will have a much more dramatic effect on DOF than one f/stop.
12 years 5 months ago #177471 by Henry Peach

DTM wrote:

You need to hold them on a camera in your hands. Many folks have no problem with big gear. I've come to the point in my photography where I just prefer smaller, lighter gear. I don't really like carrying the f/4 model. It's still too big. I shoot things I can get close to.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024