In my camera bag..

12 years 5 months ago #178960 by Kryddle
I have my Canon T3i, 18-55mm, and my 50mm f1.8 lenses. I am currently looking into getting a flash, Either the 430 or 580 exii (still undetermined)
But I am really concerned about which lens I should start saving up for. I am a photographer of all sorts but mainly portrait and kids. When I travel its of landspaces. I already use my 50mm for portraits and love it but I have been eyeing the 85mm 1.8, Canon 135 2.0, and the Canon 70-200mm 2.8L (these are all going off mental notes so bare with me if I am a little off) But I am trying to find something fast and sharp. I am just clueless on what should be my best option and not buying something similar to my 50. Suggestions PLEASE :) Even if its not one I listed I am open to ideas (just keep in mind I cannot afford a $2,000 lens.)

12 years 5 months ago #178962 by village rat
Well the 85mm is a very nice lens. It seems as if you know really what field you like to shoot in..portraits. So it may be best to get the 85mm. However do you ever wish you had a zoom lens? I you have the kit lens 18-55, but do you want more zoom. You mention the 70-200, which would be nice for portraits. You can be further away from your subjects and zoom in on them. You could also use it on landscapes if you wish and near wildlife.

In the end the lens you get is up to you, what you main shooting is.

12 years 5 months ago #178967 by john_m
Kinda depends on what you want to use the lens for..Are you looking for a great all around lens? Are you looking to go with another prime? I just picked up a Tokina at-x pro 28-80 f2.8 and absolutely love it. It hasn't left my D200 since I got it. the lens works fantastic as a portrait lens(havent tried any automotive photography with it yet). But, it would not work so well on landscapesdue it not being very wide. If you want a great landscape lens, maybe something in the 10-? range (Im a nikon user). If you want a great portrait lens that can do marco maybe a 105mm (again Im a nikon user lol). Just trying to give you some ideas on focal lengths.

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

12 years 5 months ago #178968 by village rat

john_m wrote: Kinda depends on what you want to use the lens for..Are you looking for a great all around lens? Are you looking to go with another prime? I just picked up a Tokina at-x pro 28-80 f2.8 and absolutely love it. It hasn't left my D200 since I got it. the lens works fantastic as a portrait lens(havent tried any automotive photography with it yet). But, it would not work so well on landscapesdue it not being very wide. If you want a great landscape lens, maybe something in the 10-? range (Im a nikon user). If you want a great portrait lens that can do marco maybe a 105mm (again Im a nikon user lol). Just trying to give you some ideas on focal lengths.

I always wonder about Tokina lenses. How well they work. I guess at least the one you have, works pretty well. Good quality? If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost?

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #178970 by john_m
The lens is built like a tank...I mean this thing weighs a ton and has a massive 77mm front element. I really like the auto focus/manual focus switching as well (its just a collar at the front of the lens that you pull back or push forward, no little switches). The bokeh is fantastic and it shoots well at wide open. Here is a photo I did the other night, shot wide open. Oh and I picked it up used off of craigslist for $400. On KEH, they advertise the lens used for $595.

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

Attachments:
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #179422 by bhowdy
John did a good job of throwing out some ideas for you ..... The Tokina lens that he mentioned does have an excellent reputation, as does the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 lens (in the same basic focal length) I would also suggest looking at a 7-200mm length lens. It will open up a whole new world of opportunities for you. A 70-200 is also a good lens to have in your bag for portraits.

Take a look at the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 .... It's not $2,000.00 either.

Sigma 70-200mm Lens

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024