Which lens to save for?

12 years 1 month ago #215049 by mj~shutterbugg
I am trying to decide which lens would be MOST worth my investment- the Canon 24-70L f/2.8 or the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 XR Di LD? The Canon is more than double the cost of the Tamron- but which one is going to really deliver for the money? Is the L worth it? I think Matt (Henry Peach) mentioned that his 24-70 has not much over the Tamron version. I am renting the 24-70 for the wedding but can also rent the Tamron offering as well.

I can't even begin to afford the Canon 24-70 L II- that's over 2 grand.

Just looking for opinions. And photos if there are any.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 1 month ago #215154 by Blue Pill
I say go with the Tamron. I heard they are good lenses. Overall I think Canon and Nikon both hike up their prices not just because of the glass but because of the name....just like every other brand name out there.

12 years 1 month ago #215187 by chasrich
I'm paddling the same boat - I would love to sport a Canon lens but the Tamron works just fine for me at an affordable price. So far Tamron has not let me down.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 1 month ago #215295 by Rob pix4u2
Tamron is a good lens but if you can find the Canon version used you may be able to afford the name brand glass. I have been happy with my Tamron 70-200 f 2.8. I also have a Tokina 24-70 f2.8 that I am very pleased with. here is a shot with the Tokina lens

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
12 years 1 month ago #215325 by rmeyer7
This is also a lens purchase that I'm looking into, although I think I'm going to get a prime I've had my eye on first. The Canon 24-70: or Tamron 28-75 will be the next one I save up for.

But from reading as many reviews as I can find, I'm actually leaning toward the Tamron. A lot of owners have compared the two and found the Tamron sharper in general. I'm still going to rent both and compare them myself before I buy either one...but so far it looks like I may very well skip the red ring on this one.

12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #215492 by Henry Peach
My Tamron compares very nicely to my Canon. The Canon is the old version of the 24-70L. They recently replaced it with a mk II version, and raised the price substantially. Maybe there will be a bunch of mk I versions on the used market now?

I'd go with the Tamron if comparing to the mk I version. Unless weather proofing is important. I also can't speak to it's AF ability beyond normal action from kids, live music, and weddings. They both seem to AF equally well to me, but a sports or wildlife photographer may not share that opinion. The Canon is a hair sharper when pixel peeping mid-range apertures, but I can't see it in large prints. At f/2.8 they are both as sharp as the Canon 50mm f/1.4 at f/2.8. The Tamron's bokeh seems smoother. The Canon suffers from the worst field curvature of any lens I've ever used. Meaning it's the only lens where I've ever noticed a problem with field curvature.

Tamron 28-75 $500
Canon 24-70 I $1300
Canon 24-70 II $2300

I don't see the $900 difference between the Tamron and the mk I. For the $1000 price jump between the mk I and mk II I'd expect image stabilization!

Tamron is coming out with a new 28-75 or 24-70 f/2.8 that has IS. www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/845339-RE...4_70mm_f_2_8_DI.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: mj~shutterbugg
12 years 1 month ago #215519 by Stealthy Ninja
I'd buy a 24-70 2.8L II myself.

My philosophy:

12 years 1 month ago #215522 by mj~shutterbugg
I would get the mk ii if you want to buy it for me Adrian.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 1 month ago #215529 by Stealthy Ninja

mj~shutterbugg wrote: I would get the mk ii if you want to buy it for me Adrian.

Buy the best and buy one time. :thumbsup:

I'd rather save and get the best than settle for second best. Especially if you're gonna be making money from it eventually.

Just what I would do.
12 years 1 month ago #215566 by mattmoran

Stealthy Ninja wrote: I'd rather save and get the best than settle for second best. Especially if you're gonna be making money from it eventually.

Wouldn't it be better to buy something you can afford and start making money now rather than later? Don't let the perfect become the enemy of the good.

-Matt
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #216460 by bhowdy
I'm going to have to disagree with the Ninja on this one. Get the Tammy 28-75. I have several great Canon "L" lens but I could not justify the cost difference between the Canon and the Tamron in similar focal lengths. I actually purchased both lenses and tested them side by side for a week. I sent the 24-70 back and kept the Tamron 28-75.

It DID become all about the price difference for me. Why? Because the images from the Tamron were just as good as the Canon's!

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Latest Articles

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024