Investing into Canon L series lenses when you own a Rebel body?

11 years 9 months ago #241655 by Scotty

KCook wrote: Sure, they can tell the difference pixel peeping. But can laymen (not eagle eyed enthusiasts or agency editors) tell the difference in prints?

practical Kelly

I'm not even talking pixel peeping.

I can tell the difference between a $7000 dollar lens and a $250 dollar lens.

Bokeh is leagues better, sharpness is leagues better.

Plus you can't get narrow depth of field like you can on the L glass.

If I let you use a 200 f/2 for a day you wouldn't even be debating me :)

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #241661 by CWphotos
When I switched to Canon, I skipped the kit lens, and paired with an L series...had experience with Pentax lenses, ( good & better ) and knew not to waste my $$ on less than the best I could afford. First advantage I noticed was sharpness, and next...that creamy bokeh! ( I agree with Scotty...I'm far from a pro, and the difference was obvious. )

My friend had the first Rebel ( the 8 MP ), and after a few years, got a couple L series lenses. When the 50D came out, she up-graded the body. I'm certain that she made the right choice. :)

What you are is so loud, I can't hear a word you say!
11 years 9 months ago #241671 by Scotty
I tell you what. When we actually have that meetup for pt (Yosemite I believe). i'll let any of you try out my high end lenses out on the d800 just so you can see for yourself.

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #241732 by Stealthy Ninja
Yes you can defiantly tell the difference between a good lens and a bad lens. The bokeh and overall sharpness is the first point. Then contrast and colour are sometimes different. Distortion (especially at the wider angles) is less controlled in weaker lenses. Lastly comes pixel level sharpness.

Of course stop down to f/8 and the differences become less so, so it really depends on what you're shooting.

However Kelly isn't totally wrong. Print up a picture and your average person on the street wouldn't be able to tell the what they're looking at (won't be able to tell what sorta camera was used) because they're looking at different aspects. Heck photographers would have problems telling what camera a shot came from. Though side by side I'm sure everyone could see differences. Bokeh quality especially is noticeable. Sharpness too.

Print a shot from an iPhone and a shot from a DSLR and people can tell the difference. :lol:
11 years 9 months ago #241740 by NikaTraveler
Well... I've had a rebel and then upgraded to a "Kiss" which I believe is still pretty much a rebel? I dunno. I took the advice of getting nicer lenses before a nicer body and I couldn't have been happier.

That being said, do you need to go all the way to L series? You could get something nicer than your kit lens without going that expensive.

changetheverb.com ~Learning to Live Differently
11 years 9 months ago #241741 by MajorMagee

Scotty wrote:

For the same f stop and focal length the depth of field will be identical. L glass can't change the lens physics.

11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #241742 by Scotty

MajorMagee wrote:

Scotty wrote:

For the same f stop and focal length the depth of field will be identical. L glass can't change the lens physics.

There is no f/1.2 that isn't L glass in Canon. Research a little bit before commenting on it.

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #241744 by Stealthy Ninja

MajorMagee wrote:

Scotty wrote:

11 years 9 months ago #241748 by Scotty

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #241778 by MajorMagee

Scotty wrote:

MajorMagee wrote:

Scotty wrote:

There is no f/1.2 that isn't L glass in Canon. Research a little bit before commenting on it.

But you said f2 not f1.2 before...

Scotty wrote:

Use an 85L and a regular 85 f/1.8 and you'll see the difference every time.

Sorry, I was confused by your earlier statement and thought your were comparing an f2 L series with a regular f1.8. My mistake. :rolleyes

11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #241794 by Henry Peach
I am underwhelmed with all of the L lenses. Why? Because I'm a goofball of course. Everyone knows that L lenses are the greatest ever!!!! :judge:

My opinions definitely have nothing to do with 20 years of shooting and printing with a wide variety of lenses, testing gear way too much, and showing the results to other experienced photographers for discussion. ;)

I said "underwhelmed" because I didn't want to go so far as to say "disappointed". But after reading thousands of threads like this one I am disappointed. I was ready for the L magic, and all I got were some nice lenses.

Don't worry, true believers. No one believes the heretic. :)
11 years 9 months ago #241818 by Scotty

MajorMagee wrote:

Scotty wrote:

MajorMagee wrote:

Scotty wrote:

But you said f2 not f1.2 before...

Scotty wrote:

Use an 85L and a regular 85 f/1.8 and you'll see the difference every time.

Sorry, I was confused by your earlier statement and thought your were comparing an f2 L series with a regular f1.8. My mistake. :rolleyes

It happens :cheers:

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #241820 by Scotty

Henry Peach wrote: I am underwhelmed with all of the L lenses. Why? Because I'm a goofball of course. Everyone knows that L lenses are the greatest ever!!!! :judge:

My opinions definitely have nothing to do with 20 years of shooting and printing with a wide variety of lenses, testing gear way too much, and showing the results to other experienced photographers for discussion. ;)

I said "underwhelmed" because I didn't want to go so far as to say "disappointed". But after reading thousands of threads like this one I am disappointed. I was ready for the L magic, and all I got were some nice lenses.

Don't worry, true believers. No one believes the heretic. :)

Have you tried an 85L, 200 f/2 or any super primes?

I was dissapointed in the 17-40L, 24-70L and 70-200 2.8L IS (mark I)

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #242476 by MajorMagee

The new EOS-M

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024