Canon Lens Suggestion

11 years 6 months ago #254723 by BrandyMaeD
Hi! I currently own only one single lens, the Canon EF-S IS II 18-55mm. Can anyone suggest a good second lens? I'm wanting one that I will use often, that's versatile, and proven to take fabulous pics. Any suggestions are HIGHLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!

11 years 6 months ago #254735 by rmeyer7
Honestly, the single most important question is what do you want to shoot? Second: what price range do you have in mind?

If you want to keep using your 18-55 and get something in addition for when you need longer focal length (i.e., more zoom), you might be interested in a telephoto lens. On the low end of the budget you could pick up an EF-S 55-250, which in my experience is a little sharper than the lens you currently have and produces nice images. On the more expensive end, a 70-200L is a fantastic telephoto lens -- and it can be used with less light because it has an aperture of f/2.8. Telephoto lenses are helpful if you want to shoot subjects at a distance, such as wildlife. Also for sports, but you'd want the faster aperture to capture action shots.

On the other hand, if you want a lens specifically for portraits, you might want to look into a 50mm prime. Canon has 3 that are very popular and all are very sharp. The 50mm f/1.8 can be bought for a little over $100 and is a common choice for a second lens.

If you're looking for an all around lens (to replace your 18-55 and add some more zoom at the same time), there are lots of options. You can get a used Canon 28-105 lens for under $200, which gives you a lot of focal range but the image quality is just OK. You can get a 24-105L lens for around $900-1,000 and get similar range with excellent image quality. (That's the lens I have on my camera about 80 or 90% of the time, FWIW.)

But if you want something that's better for lower light, you might look at the 24-70. Less range, but you get f/2.8 aperture. It's also a very versatile and excellent quality lens. IMHO, that lens is a very nice compromise between a walk-around lens and portrait lens all in one, due to the aperture and the zoom range. However, it's also over $2K.

I think that kind of gives you the idea...you need to know what you want to shoot and what you want to spend in order to really get a good recommendation.

The following user(s) said Thank You: BrandyMaeD
11 years 6 months ago #254824 by bhowdy
Roy has done an excellent job in responding to your initial post. Hopefully you will come back to this thread and offer more information
1) what do you like to shoot
2) what do you want to shoot
3) budget

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #254838 by KCook
The dummy's guide: If you find you are shooting a lot with the aperture wide open, you may need a faster lens. If many of your shots are at 55mm, you likely need a longer lens. If many are at 18mm, then go for a wider angle.

Nobody recommends UWA lenses, ever. But my 2nd lens was a Sigma 10-20. Now I no longer fear shooting in tight quarters. Ended up using it more than I expected to. Different strokes for different folks.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #254863 by BrandyMaeD
Thanks! I was considering going with a EF-S 55-250. You kind of supported my thinking. I would like to be able to zoom more. I was trying to keep it under $300.

11 years 6 months ago #254866 by butterflygirl921

BrandyMaeD wrote: Thanks! I was considering going with a EF-S 55-250. You kind of supported my thinking. I would like to be able to zoom more. I was trying to keep it under $300.

This is a really good Lens

11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #254963 by rmeyer7

KCook wrote: The dummy's guide: If you find you are shooting a lot with the aperture wide open, you may need a faster lens. If many of your shots are at 55mm, you likely need a longer lens. If many are at 18mm, then go for a wider angle.

Nobody recommends UWA lenses, ever. But my 2nd lens was a Sigma 10-20. Now I no longer fear shooting in tight quarters. Ended up using it more than I expected to. Different strokes for different folks.

Kelly Cook

:goodpost:
Never thought of explaining it that way, but that was great advice.

BrandyMaeD wrote: Thanks! I was considering going with a EF-S 55-250. You kind of supported my thinking. I would like to be able to zoom more. I was trying to keep it under $300.

I still like that lens even though it isn't compatible with my current camera. Whenever I go to a baseball game where they don't allow professional cameras, I'll grab my old Rebel with the 55-250 and always come away with shots that I'm happy with.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024