Canon Increased the Price of Its Gear? See What is Happening and how it Might Affect your Wallet!

11 years 5 months ago #258875 by PhotographyTalk

Photo Source: www.canonrumors.com/

As of November 1st, Canon has begun enforcing a new Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) policy, meaning most of its gear just got pricier. Under this new rule, all Canon Authorized Dealers are prohibited from advertising products at prices lower than the MAP set forth by Canon. Retailers who fail to comply face retributions such as not being shipped Canon inventory, or at the worst, losing their status as an authorized dealer. MAPs are designed to keep retail prices from falling too low which is great for the manufacturer, not so great for the third party seller and the consumer.

Rumors had been swirling online in the days leading up to this policy change, with some sites encouraging consumers to take advantage of sale prices before the November 1st time frame. Early this morning, Canon Rumors noted that B&H Photo and Adorama had begun changing the base prices of certain Canon camera bodies and lenses, confirming that Canon was indeed enforcing the new MAP policy. So how much have prices fluctuated? Here is a sampling of price changes; most appear to be an increase of at least $100.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III - $3,194.00 going to $3,499.00
Canon EOS 5D Mark III and EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS Kit - $3,949.00 going to $4,299.00

Canon EOS 7D $1,499.00 from $1,457.00
Canon EOS 7D w/ EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Kit $1,899.00 from $1,699.00

Canon EOS 5D Mark II - $2,099.00 going to $2,199.00
Canon EOS 5D Mark II and EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS Kit - $2,899 going to $2,999.00

Canon EOS 60D - $956.00 going to $999.00
Canon EOS 60D and EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Kit - $1,199.00 going to $1,299.00

This new MAP policy means it will be more important than ever to take advantage of rebates offered by Canon , since dealers can no longer advertise their own discounted sales. On the other hand, forum users point out that Canon’s MAP enforcement may have a caveat. When you are shopping for Canon gear on a retailer’s site, take note if they say you must add the item to your cart before you see the final sale price. The retailer could technically sell the product for less than the MAP, but simply can’t advertise it openly.

Attachments:
11 years 5 months ago #258880 by Thomas S
Another reason to own a Nikon :rofl: :whistle:

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #258885 by The Original Daisy
Really Canon? :toetap:

11 years 5 months ago #258919 by rmeyer7
You can still find prices below the MAP -- they just can't be advertised below the minimums. Amazon now has some Canon bodies that don't display the price on the product page, you have to add the item to your cart in order to see the price. I'm sure any online retailer can get around the MAP the same way...if they choose to. Some will most likely choose not to, since that will mean bigger profits for them and they can easily blame it on the manufacturer.

11 years 5 months ago #258932 by Josh Jofoto
Grab 'em while you can! What a bone head move if you ask me. Well I'm a Canon fan either way, but will gripe about this!

Canon 7D | Canon EF-S 18-55 IS | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro | CanonEF 17-40 f/4 L | 70-200 f/4 L | 580 EX II
11 years 5 months ago #258958 by John Silva
I look at it in a different way. I paid full retail when a body came out as I did for the XTi, 50D and the 7D. Then I find out that prices keep dropping, devaluing my Camera gear. If a stable price is maintained as with Lenses, then I wouldn't have a camera bag full of gear that has absolutely no current market value. We cannot always go for the latest and the greatest. our investments need to hold a reasonable market value.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024