Next upgrade

11 years 5 months ago #262775 by wendywildlife
Hi Guys....
I have owned my Canon 500d for four years, and was thinking of upgrading at the end of next,
I was advised a good Camera would be a 7D.... but was more thinking 60D or 650D do not get me wrong
a 7D sounds good, however do not want to overface myself.
I have fours years experience, and need loads more!!! am happy with the photos i have been taking, but was told a full frame camera would be a good investment......
Help and advise please :thx:

Attachments:
11 years 5 months ago #262784 by robbie
:welcomeclan :welcomeclan :welcomeclan
If you shoot wildlife as your 'name' implies I wouldn`t go 'full frame' since your lenses would lose the extra' .5 to.6'
reach of the 'crop sensor' cameras.
We need to know more of what you will be shooting,landscapes,wildlife,macros etc.

11 years 5 months ago #262795 by KCook
Macro work usually means manual focus. When you're checking out these cameras pay special attention to the viewfinders.

The advanced features that come with the newer cameras only make a difference if you actually use those strange features. Manual shooters, who try to standardize their technique (nothing wrong with that), may end up wondering what all the fuss is about.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

The following user(s) said Thank You: wendywildlife
11 years 5 months ago #262801 by wendywildlife
Hi Again....
I really enjoy Wildlife yes, but equally love my insects....
What do you think.
I do not want to buy a camera that will not benefit my work, :rolleyes

11 years 5 months ago #262804 by wendywildlife
Hi Kelly....
Yes i find i use manual focus for my Macro work, my other love is Deer and large animals eg: Horses, so use a long 100-400 Lens, I think this is why the Camera shop mentioned the 7D....but i am not convinced Kelly,
Yes i would love good quality photos.....but do not want to buy a camera that will have me scratching my head all day or worse.....not benefit my chosen subjects :unsure:

11 years 5 months ago #262820 by CWphotos
I have the old 5D, ( and also the 100-400mm )...the full size sensor's resolution is wonderful, especially when a subject has feathers or hair/fur? Until about 5 years ago I was a Pentax owner, but I had no trouble becoming comfortable/ familiar with the Canon 5D, even though the features were very different from my Pentax bodies. I can't advise as to macro, since my only macro lens is Pentax, but I would guess that the resolution would be a big plus, even for insects? Sorry I couldn't be more help...good luck with your decision!

What you are is so loud, I can't hear a word you say!
11 years 5 months ago #262822 by wendywildlife
Hi.....
Thanks for the info......am i right in thinking the 5d is a very expensive model :whistle:

11 years 5 months ago #262826 by CWphotos

wendywildlife wrote: Hi.....
Thanks for the info......am i right in thinking the 5d is a very expensive model :whistle:

:lol: Yep...it was, when it first came on the scene! It became my dream camera. Then...after the 5D mark II came out, I watched & waited... Finally, the 5D body dropped to $1999.00, and I decided to grab it before they all sold! I skipped the kit lens, and opted for the 100-400mm, which had a $100 instant rebate at the time. Never regretted the splurge!

Hang in there...I doubt you can still find the old 5D, but the Mark II will come down more now that the MarkIII is out. :)

What you are is so loud, I can't hear a word you say!
11 years 5 months ago #262875 by KCook
At very high ISO, 2500 or above, the 7D will show less noise than the 500D. Otherwise the main advantages of the 7D will be nicer controls, AF tracking, and a bigger buffer for continuous shooting. Not so much image quality. For improvement in IQ, your $$ might be better spent on lenses, lights, tripods, etc. Or saving up for a 5Dii.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 5 months ago #263000 by Stealthy Ninja
60D and 650D aren't that much of an upgrade IMHO. The 650D will give you a few more features perhaps, but the body is the same and the images will be similar. The AF system will also be very similar (crappy).

The 60D has a better body, but I'd guess isn't that much better.

I'd go 7D for sure. Get something that will help you grow.

In fact I'd skip all that together and go straight for 5D mark III. Screw the 5D and the 5Dii and their stupid AF system (I owned both).
11 years 5 months ago #263101 by rmeyer7
5D mk III just had a price drop at Adorama, B&H and Amazon , so it's officially under $3,000. (OK, only a penny under, but still...good deal if you're looking to upgrade anyway.)

I think you have to add to cart to see the reduced price.

11 years 4 months ago #263467 by Luke
The 7D would be the obvious choice for the reasons stated earlier (crop factor, focus etc). I have a 7D and while it isn't my primary body, it is a very capable body offering many features. Full frame? Full frame has advantages in IQ if you need it but unless you go to the 1Dx the FPS can be a liability especially in wildlife and sports. I normally use my 5D MKII for landscape and what limited portrait work I do. The 7D and the 100-400 is a great combination for wildlife. PS I love your screen name. :thumbsup:

11 years 4 months ago #263548 by wendywildlife
Hi.....
Thanks for your reply also, i wont be able to do an upgrade until late next year, as have a little more saving to do.... it is mainly wildlife i like to capture and often go along to Africa Alive which is a big game park near here.
My other love is of course....insects, which i have my Macro lens for....now winter is here there are not many of those about, so try to learn more on Macro......and everything else about Photography!!
I have an awful lot to learn Luke. :rolleyes

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024