Anyone have the canon 7D II ?

8 years 5 months ago #459625 by Ryan711
I have the Canon 60D, was looking at upgrading to the 7d II, anyone have it, would you say it was worth the upgrade, how do you like it?

Photo Comments
8 years 5 months ago #459715 by foxX
The 60 is a solid camera, personally have 5dIII but I think and from what I've read your is hard to beat even with newer bodys. For instance the 7's has worse low light performance that the 60. Perhaps this will help you www.brendansadventures.com/canon-6d-vs-canon-7d-mark-ii/

Photo Comments
8 years 5 months ago #459742 by shelland
As with any camera upgrade, it depends what you're looking for out of the upgrade. What are you looking for that the 60D doesn't offer, or that you wish it did better?

I had a 60D, then bought a 7D as a second body. Then I traded by 60D in for a 7DmkII. Then I traded my 7D in for a 6D. So I currently have a 7DmkII and 6D.

I shoot a lot of high school sports (as an amateur). For me, the 7D was a great upgrade over the 60D due to the faster focus and FPS. (some other things, but those were the big two) The 60D has the same sensor as the 7D, so there will be no difference in noise, etc.

Then when I went with the 7DmkII, that again resulted in faster focus and FPS in addition to better noise at high ISO. I don't regret any of those upgrades a bit for what I do with them. But hard to say in your situation. The 6D is also a great camera being full-frame, but for sports/wildlife it is slow in terms of both focus and FPS. I was using it as a second body at a volleyball game, and was getting frustrated with it compared to my 7DmkII. But the full frame sure is nice for noise and not being zoomed in quite as much in close quarters without the crop sensor (which can be good or bad, depending on the situation). 

Note that the video linked above compares the 6D, not the 60D. 

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

8 years 5 months ago #459911 by Tim Dordeck
7D II is a nice camera, what are you shooting?

Photo Comments
8 years 1 month ago #473555 by Stic
7DII is probably a nice camera, fast focus and blistering speed but until I get a new OS, I can't open the raw's so can't give you a definite on image quality...

Photo Comments
8 years 1 month ago #473727 by Stic
SO, I have a fix...

Only had to Buy and install windows 7 on my laptop, then install all the Canon software, then download and install DNG converter 8.7 and now I can finally view and edit my RAW's...

Noise wise, I'm not sure as it's only been a day that I'd gotten it sorted, no high iso shots yet...speed is good (like a machine gun) and, i'm already used to the 7D's 8fps...

Focus is lightning fast, although I only really use the centre point so can't comment on it's auto focus...

Raw images are pretty soft (much like the 7D, and need to be tweaked in raw converter AND usually sharpened afterwards, but then I was expecting that...

One thing I did notice was, due to the way I work, I keep a full size JPEG and RAW, convert the raw in photoshop and save the edited file as a new JPEG with the original...

Looking through the folder I noticed that the camera JPEG does not contain the entire image (I shot my dog and could just see the tip of my shoes in the shot, in the processed RAW converted to JPEG, you can see more of my shoes), and the edited one shows more image...never seen that on the 7D or the 40D...

Photo Comments
8 years 1 month ago #473728 by Stic
Here's the comparison...

IMG_0011
by Flickr Sucks , on Flickr

IMG_0011a
by Flickr Sucks , on Flickr

Photo Comments
8 years 1 month ago #474363 by Stic
Turns out to 'probably' be the in camera lens profile...didn't know they were default on...

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024